It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New SP1 on order
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:22 pm 
Field Grade

Today I ordered a new Beretta SP1 20 gauge 30 inch barrels. I handled one earlier and liked the way it mounted. That's all I know. So please educate me on what I'm about to receive. How will it compare to my Browning CX 12 gauge other than being a lot lighter?

Thanks

Joe

Post subject: Re: New SP1 on order
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:08 pm 
Crown Grade

It most likely will not fit you.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:13 pm 
Field Grade

Slugo wrote:

Slugo, I was hoping for replies that would make me feel good. :lol:

Joe

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

I don't necessarily think that "it won't fit you." What is more likely is that it will fit you differently than your Browning.

Browning and Beretta sure do make and sell a lot of shotguns. Both of those brands have a very good reputation for making quality guns that are very durable. Your new Beretta should last a very, very, very long time. Unfortunately most of the time if one brand fits you the other will not.

Gun fit is closely tied to your mount. It is possible that your browning does not actually fit you, however you may have adjusted your mount to make it fit. You just might find that at first the Beretta seems not to fit, but you may adjust your mount and find that it fits very well. Only you will know how that works out.

The fact remains that you have purchased a quality gun that many shooters would be happy to own. You said that you liked the way the one you handled earlier mounted so you should like the way your new gun mounts.

Take the gun out and shoot the heck out of it!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:58 am 
Crown Grade

Joe C. wrote:
Slugo wrote:

Slugo, I was hoping for replies that would make me feel good. :lol:

Joe

Joe, the SP1 is one of the best values today and a truly magnificent shotgun. I owned a 32" 12 gauge. Then I bought a new 32" 725. I've been shooting mostly Brownings all my life, they fit me perfectly. For the life of me, I just could not shoot the SP1 as well as the 725. The drop on the comb of the Beretta was horrible, for me. On the other hand, the Browning was like staring down a 4 lane highway. Clear picture right to the front bead. Obviously, we are all different.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:04 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the replies. From what I under stand, the 686 is somewhat more difficult to fully disassemble than the Browning in order to replace springs, firing pins, etc. How true is that? Even on some guns the screws are lock tightened in.

Yes, I do have a concern about going back and forth between the CX and the 686. As long as it's not to much of an issue, I'm not going to worry about it since I only shoot for enjoyment. Probably at some point one gun will become my "go to gun" and the other a to occupy other guns in the safe.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joe C.,

First, you have purchased an awesome gun. As mentioned, the SP1 is going to be a lot lighter, and one of these guns may end up fitting you better than the other. Did you buy the sporting version? Or is it a field model with 30" barrels? Are you just going to use it for clays? Or are you going to hunt with it? If one fits you better than the other, you could always install an adjustable comb (but I do not like them on field guns...hence the questions).

Good luck and have fun with it. And BTW, I know people who are able to break targets/hit birds with either a Browing, a Beretta, or something else. And it is possible to tweak a stock to make it fit you.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:33 am 
Presentation Grade

Joe,

This YouTube video is my go to for disassembly of a 686. Granted the gun used in the video is a 12ga. and you are getting a 20. I don't own a 20ga so I can not say if things are the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j80PBu1X__M

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:18 am 
Field Grade

stripersonfly wrote:
Joe C.,

First, you have purchased an awesome gun. As mentioned, the SP1 is going to be a lot lighter, and one of these guns may end up fitting you better than the other. Did you buy the sporting version? Or is it a field model with 30" barrels? Are you just going to use it for clays? Or are you going to hunt with it? If one fits you better than the other, you could always install an adjustable comb (but I do not like them on field guns...hence the questions).

Good luck and have fun with it. And BTW, I know people who are able to break targets/hit birds with either a Browing, a Beretta, or something else. And it is possible to tweak a stock to make it fit you.

It is a field gun. My intent was for the Sporting model but afterward while thinking about the deal I'm sure it was the field model which is fine with me. Long story.

The 686 will be used for clays along with the CX as well as other shotguns with the use of the 686 will be for grandkids.

While I rarely hunt nowadays, I would love to plan a great bird hunt somewhere reasonably close. I
missed a golden opportunity several years back while an older friend had a large scale bird hunting operation with horses, wagons, and the whole 9 yards. The only real bird hunting I've done was when I was 12/14 years old a large land owner would take me bird hunting. He, as his family, had some great bird dogs going back in history. When we would go hunting and after I had shot 2-3 birds, he would always say "we've shot enough birds for the day so we'll just let the dogs work now". He was known for being very protective of his birds. But me being a young kid I was wanting to pull the trigger.

Thanks

Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:25 am 
Field Grade

Road Man wrote:
Joe,

This YouTube video is my go to for disassembly of a 686. Granted the gun used in the video is a 12ga. and you are getting a 20. I don't own a 20ga so I can not say if things are the same.

I scanned thru that video last night. It's a great video.

Would you know how often the action screws would be lock tighted in place? Screws have have red lock tight scares me. I'm not familiar with removing them. I've used blue lock tight numerous times.

Thanks

Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

I had a 12ga SP1 field. Put tens of thousands of rounds through it. It had an auto safety that would engage via linkage when closing the action. I removed the linkage.

"I sar a chip off a dat."

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I had this very gun. It was a fave. Enjoy it.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joe C. wrote:
Road Man wrote:
Joe,

I scanned thru that video last night. It's a great video.

Would you know how often the action screws would be lock tighted in place? Screws have have red lock tight scares me. I'm not familiar with removing them. I've used blue lock tight numerous times.

Thanks

Joe

I purchased my 686 used, and it was not exceedingly difficult to get to the innards. The previous owner had a "trigger job" done. Someone had also disabled the auto safety by sawing the nib off, rather than disassembling it to remove it properly. Several months after I purchased the gun it started to double. I sent the gun off to Coles in Maine to have the triggers returned to factory specs. The only thing I asked the gunsmith to do was to use some lighter strength springs appropriate for my 7/8 oz. reloads. He performed a thorough inspection, cleaning, and reassembly, he replaced any and all damaged or worn parts. He did not loktite any of the screws. Your gun being new will probably have a thread locking compound on some of the screws. Heat is usually the answer, contact Beretta for the best answer.

I got a set of the screwdriver tips appropriate for European shotguns from Brownells. If you are planning on taking the gun down yourself I strongly encourage you to buy the bits and TAKE YOUR TIME. You don't want buggered up screws. In my case some of the screws were damaged when gun was delivered to me. They are easy enough to replace, but if you truly bugger up the screw on a brand new gun you won't be very happy with yourself.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've owned two 12 gauge Citoris and four Silver Pigeons. I sold the Citoris and still have and regularly use and enjoy a Silver Pigeon 1 410, Silver Pigeon II 20 gauge and Silver Pigeon II 12 gauge all with 28 inch barrels. The 20 gauge is the sweet spot in terms of handling and performance for my uses which are primarily small game hunting.

I do a couple things to the Beretta Silver Pigeon field models.

1. Disable the ridiculous automatic safety. None of my other rifles, pistols or shotguns have automatic safeties and my Berettas don't need them either. I'm the only automatic safety my firearm needs.

2. Remove the buttstock and slightly bend the safety spring to reduce the tension on the safety. All four of my Berettas had unacceptably heavy safeties. A simple bend of the spring and tweak it to the way you like it.

3. With the stock removed from the receiver, I follow the instructions on Watcos Danish oil using Medium Walnut to liberally coat the stock and forend. When the finish starts to dry out or scratch, it is really easy to touch back up with Watcos. I'm pretty sure Beretta uses donkey urine and magic fairy dust to finish their stocks. You will see spots show up on the stock the first time you get it wet. Watcos fixes this.

4. Lastly, if you want a really nice stock and forend for your shotgun, contact Cole Gunsmithing as they carry a decent selection of replacements.

With these modifications made to the Berettas, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in any other O/U shotgun.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

Same locking system as their double rifles very strong. Lighter and shorter top to bottom of the receiver. Browning's are taller than Beretta's. Both are great guns the Beretta fits me better but I would be proud to win either in a raffle. I have a SP3-20/26" and love it.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:48 pm 
Field Grade

My new SP1 20 gauge came in yesterday. Wasn’t expecting it until middle of next week. Although I was in the area of gun store, I was at a regional softball tournament watching granddaughter when I got the call. After they won the tournament this morning, I picked up the shotgun on way home. Granddaughter hit 5 home runs including a grand slam along with other hit in 3 games. Proud of her. Her team will go to state playoffs next week.

Back to the SP1. After returning home I gave it a cleaning and lube and headed to the pasture. What a sweetheart. I shot it nearly as well as my Citori CX. Only problem other than my lack of focus and concentration, I would swing too far ahead which was quickly remedied. Took a few shots to get use to the light weight. As far as fit, it felt as good as my CX. Maybe I don’t know what good fit is, but I cannot recognize any real difference between the fit of the two.

No issues other than the slender forearm allowing my fingers to get on the hot barrel occasionally.

Again, I was surprised how well each shotgun seemed to fit me, especially being two entirely different shotguns. Only difference I could tell was their weight. I would go to the CX and the heavier weight would feel good. I would go back to the Beretta and the lighter weight would feel good. I don’t think I’ll be leaving either of them home.

Joe