It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: High 2 trouble
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:39 pm 
Field Grade

As a old shooter but a new skeet shooter, I am having issues with high 2. I tried moving my hold point out a bit more, moving my look point in/out a bit more, but to no avail. Just having trouble getting on the bird. Then when shooting the double, often I can't get back to the low house bird. This results in one or two dropped shots per round. All the other stations are getting smoked. High 2 is always preventing 25 straight!
Wondering if starting with a low gun mount, call for the bird and go from there would help?
Any other tips for mastering high 2?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: High 2 trouble
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:45 pm 
Field Grade

maybe try lowering your hold point a little bit. Bird could be crossing your under barrels making you lose sight of it

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:31 pm 
Field Grade

Tess wrote:
maybe try lowering your hold point a little bit. Bird could be crossing your under barrels making you lose sight of it

^this

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One foot lead. Get on it and break it quickly. Don't ride it past the stake.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Often I've felt I my lead, about a foot, was perfect, yet I missed. Recently, I read that the lead should be about one foot to the side of the target and, because of the different angles of the target and the shot string, six inches below (like HH1).

I will try this,

Randy

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:50 am 
Field Grade

move your hold point out and look to the left of your barrel ( towards the high house). see the flash and find the bird and shoot (cover it up). You should have to swing your gun more than 4-5 inches

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

You didn't mention where you were breaking it when you did manage to hit it. While this bird can and probably should be broken well before the center stake, it doesn't have to be. A little before is OK until you get confident with it, and still gives you plenty of time for the double. A lot of people rush it - it's easy to get into a mindset where you feel like you have no time. You have a little time - more if you move on the flash.

Also keep your shoulders level - it's really easy to drop a shoulder and roll the gun on H2, which never ends well.

I've done both of the above . For me, it's the Bender method - straight out, then out three feet or so, bottom of the window, and moving at the very first hint of orange. The flash is more important that I thought - if you are truly moving as soon as you see something, you feel like you have more time. Don't go out too far with the hold point - with little to no gun movement you end up basically spot shooting it. Some guys can do it pretty consistently, but it's not optimal.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for all the tips! Can't wait to get at them again.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:25 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the tips. I've recently been having problems with high 2 myself. Now I'm convinced that I'm over-leading. Funny, I've not had any problem for a long time and then all of a sudden.....I guess it happens!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:47 pm 
Limited Edition

High two is all about the set up.

My hold point is straight out off the outside corner of the pad plus 3 feet, gun stays parallel with the ground. Look point is 3-4 feet back off my gun, just enough to see about 1 foot in front of the window in my peripheral vision.

Relax your eyes, move on the flash, break it at the pin. Gun movement is minimal and matches target speed.

If the bird is beating you out of the house then you're probably swinging too fast trying to catch it. Too much gun speed ruins your ability to see the proper lead.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Kenacp wrote:
As a old shooter but a new skeet shooter, I am having issues with high 2. I tried moving my hold point out a bit more, moving my look point in/out a bit more, but to no avail. Just having trouble getting on the bird. Then when shooting the double, often I can't get back to the low house bird. This results in one or two dropped shots per round. All the other stations are getting smoked. High 2 is always preventing 25 straight!
Wondering if starting with a low gun mount, call for the bird and go from there would help?
Any other tips for mastering high 2?
Thanks

This tells me you are shooting the first bird too late. Where is your hold point and look point? Hold point should be 1/3 of the way from the house to the center stake. Adjusted for age and ability.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:09 am 
Tournament Grade

Spent time on HH2 yesterday. I held about 1/3 out, barrel below the window, and looked almost straight ahead. I gave the bird about 6 inches lead to the side and to the bottom. I broke the bird almost every time, but I couldn't seem to break it before the center stake. I tried looking closer and holding closer to the house, but that didn't help.

Because I'm breaking the bird late I'm having trouble with doubles. I have to hit the low house using a swing-through shot, which I can usually do if I lower the barrel after I break the HH target.

How can I break HH2 earlier? Is using a swing-through technique on the LH bird the way most folks do it?

Randy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:32 am 
Limited Edition

If I had to guess, your problem is a late start.

You must move on the flash, and for someone who is trying to build that skill it is not easy to adapt. I shot for a long time wanting to SEE the bird at the start, and doing that on H2 will leave you late every time.

When setting your look point, you need to set your eyes to infinity, look far, and take an extra second for your eyes to settle before calling for the bird. Your vision works more efficiently focusing from far to near.

Keep at it!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

randyflycaster wrote:
Spent time on HH2 yesterday. I held about 1/3 out, barrel below the window, and looked almost straight ahead. I gave the bird about 6 inches lead to the side and to the bottom. I broke the bird almost every time, but I couldn't seem to break it before the center stake. I tried looking closer and holding closer to the house, but that didn't help.

Because I'm breaking the bird late I'm having trouble with doubles. I have to hit the low house using a swing-through shot, which I can usually do if I lower the barrel after I break the HH target.

How can I break HH2 earlier? Is using a swing-through technique on the LH bird the way most folks do it?

Randy

In my opinion, unless you are a tournament shooter, I fail to see the importance of breaking H2 before the center stake. Granted it looks great! I break it 5' before and/or after, and sometimes on top of, and always have time to find and break L2.
Having said that, it is a FAST acquisition and shot. Just like station 6. Proper setup is the key. Ask a AAA or AA shooter to stand behind you and watch you shoot. They will see things you cannot.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:38 pm 
Crown Grade

randyflycaster wrote:
looked almost straight ahead.

Straight ahead down the barrel?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:28 pm 
Utility Grade

High 2 is a matter of good technique. Hold point is 1/3 of distance from high house to center stake as you stated you were using. Without seeing you shoot, I would suggest your problem is related to eye position. Eye position is 2 part. Eyes 1/2 way back and raised to the target path. Failure to raise your eyes will cause a late response. Looking over or nearly over the barrel will always result in a late start because you don't see the target at the flash and don't get started. With good technique H2 is easily broke 15 feet prior to the center stake, allowing enough time to break the 2nd bird of the double right in front of you. Slow down, focus on getting your eyes to the correct spot, move as soon as you see movement, do not wait to see the entire target or you will be chasing the target. Hope this helps.

NSSA Level 2 Instructor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:12 pm 
Limited Edition

/endthread

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:53 am 
Diamond Grade

ShowMe wrote:
randyflycaster wrote:
looked almost straight ahead.

Straight ahead down the barrel?

Oh, that helped him a lot.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:54 am 
Diamond Grade

oregunner wrote:
One foot lead. Get on it and break it quickly. Don't ride it past the stake.

Excellent advice.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:11 am 
Diamond Grade

Take this for what it is worth:
(Ed Scherer, deceased, Skeet Coach)
"The lead required on high 2 is so small it will astound you. If you have a miss here and you haven't the foggiest notion as to where the errant shot went, try cutting back on your lead.
Another problem is shooting under the target. I've actually had my students look a foot above this target when firing to prevent shooting under. Hopefully you'll locate a good spotter to watch your misses and tell why that shot pattern went awry."