It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Qmaxx question
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:32 pm 
Field Grade

Just started using Qmaxx black to clean my Beretta 686 sp1. Did a full clean of the gun, whipped down the barrels with the spray like the cleaner at nationals had done a few weeks prior with the same stuff, and put it away for a 2 weeks. Get to the range this morning and take the barrels out of the case and large amounts of the bluing are eaten away. none of the metal on the receiver or forearm was affected but its also not blued. Just the barrels had the damage. Has any body ever heard of this or had this happen?

Post subject: Re: Qmaxx question
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:47 pm 
Field Grade

I use the Blu, so far so good And no issues.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

Its my understanding that “black” is for black guns and “blue” is for blued barrels, I use blue no problems. I wouldn’t think they would sell a product that would do what you describe maybe you should ask Qmaxx if its possible.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:06 am 
Crown Grade

I thought the “black” was stronger?
It is not an oil or preservative, but a cleaner.
I could see it eating away the bluing if left on for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:07 am 
Crown Grade

Let us know what Qmaxx says.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:11 pm 
Limited Edition

I spoke with Qmaxx a while back when my local range started stocking it. They said the black and blue are basically the same except the blue has something in it to keep it from smudging on the nice blue finishes on guns like O/U's. You can use either product on either type finish, which I have done with no problems. And I would put in a plug for them as a very good product.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sounds similar to something I saw many years ago. Friend lubed up his A-5 magnum with 3 in 1 oil and put it in a soft gun case. The synthetic fur inside the case and the 3 in 1 oil did not play well together. The oil melted the fiber and attached itself to the blue steel of the shotgun. Everywhere it touched, it took the bluing off.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:27 pm 
Field Grade

railroad wrote:
Sounds similar to something I saw many years ago. Friend lubed up his A-5 magnum with 3 in 1 oil and put it in a soft gun case. The synthetic fur inside the case and the 3 in 1 oil did not play well together. The oil melted the fiber and attached itself to the blue steel of the shotgun. Everywhere it touched, it took the bluing off.

I think you just answered my question for me. the fur in my case was also melted in spots where the barrel was affected/touching

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:39 pm 
Field Grade

railroad wrote:

Any idea what kind of case it was? wonder if it was the same material. mine was the SKB hard sided.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Tess wrote:
railroad wrote:

Any idea what kind of case it was? wonder if it was the same material. mine was the SKB hard sided.

It happened over 40 years ago. Not a chance, I could find anything other than seeing the gun and was told what oil he used.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

And that it why I never leave my guns in the case after transporting them to and from the range or field.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:37 pm 
Field Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
Let us know what Qmaxx says.

They said they had never heard anything like it before but were very helpful and said not to worry they would take care of it and asked to take pictures. Now that i have an idea of what did it, i wouldn't ask them to take care of it as it wasn't anything they did wrong. We've used it for years and swear by it and will continue using it, I'll just be sure to avoid similar linings in the case. They were very very helpful though

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:57 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

May I suggest that you do take pictures and also send QMaxx a piece/clipping of the case lining.
Sounds like there should be a warning to everybody that uses QMaxx Black and not just us that are reading this thread.

NRA Life
NSCA Life + Level 1 Instructor
ATA Annual