It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model ID and disassembly of Monkey Wards Hercules 12 ga
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, I have an old crack barell S/S 12 which I can't seem to find info on. Left side has, "Hercules" and under that, "Montgomery Ward & Co." Right side has a circle with "21" inside.

Left side of barrel has, "Proof Tested 12 Gauge." Right side of barrel has, "Selected Forged Steel."

Underneath, stamped on the square length of rod the barrel catch lever and spring are attached to (can't recall correct part names at the moment), are, "77 1" (if impressions are complete) and just below that a larger "C".

There is no model stamped on it.

I cannot figure out how to break off the barrel without breaking off the barrel, which is not desirable. There are numbers stamped on the underside of the barrel starting with "5" and ending with "8". I can post the full number if someone tells me how to strip the barrel off without damaging something.

Has both a hammer and ejector

It's close to the model 10, but the wood grip screws on with a single screw rather than popping on and off, and the barrel does not slide off after removing the grip. It locks on with a spring and lever mechanism that I'm not sure how to release.

Based on the time frame my dad would have gotten it, I'd estimate aabout '45 or '46, with a 5 yr spread, but could be thinking of the Remington .22 timeframe.

I'd love to post pics, but can't seem to get that to work.

Any info would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Model ID and disassembly of Monkey Wards Hercules 12 ga
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Screw the wood forearm back on.
Then pull it off down and back from the front edge.
The forearm wood and metal will come off. It may be a little hard but it will pull right off.
Then open the gun with the opening lever, and the barrels will fall right off.
It is a Savage/Stevens gun.

Post subject: Re: Model ID and disassembly of Monkey Wards Hercules 12 ga
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you very much. Came off without a problem. Now I can properly clean this thing and get it inspected to make sure it will fire safely.