It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: .410 CZ Ringneck
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:04 pm 
Crown Grade

I bought a .410 Ringneck off Gunbroker just after the first of the year and finally have it working just the way I want it. When I first got the gun, the fixed chokes on both barrels were way tighter than the IC/Mod that was advertised. The factory Win AA shells didn't chamber easily and I actually peeled back the metal base on one trying to chamber it. The stock was way off in cast and needed to be bent to fit me.I fired it off a benchrest to check barrel regulation at 13 yards and found the left barrel slightly left of aim and the right barrel slightly right of aim. Pattern on both barrels was about 60/40 which suits me fine.

I packaged up the barrels and the targets from my benchrest check and sent them to Briley with instructions to fit a set of Thinwall chokes and correct the slight barrel regulation issue at the same time.

Showing the chokes, wrench and carrying pouch.

A cute little .410 screw in choke.

I received the barrels back last week, with Briley's work nicely done again. I did the Churchill 16 yard mount the gun and fire test and found the pattern from both barrels right on top of each other, but centered about 7 1/2" to the left. That meant I needed to bend the stock 7.5/16" or .46875" of cast off for a right hand shooter. I was a little surprised a slender stock like that would require that much bend, but pressed on with mounting it in my bending jig. After setting it up, I discovered it actually came with .100" cast on instead of the usual 3/16" to 1/4" of cast off from the factory. That meant I'd end up with just under 3/8" cast off which is right in line with my usual dimensions. After heating it for just over a half hour, it took the bend quite easily with very little spring back after cooling.

Careful inspection of the chambers revealed a sharp edge at the mouth of both chambers and a few minutes with 400 grit emory cloth smoothing the sharp edges had it feeding smoothly.

I took it to Miami and shot skeet with it to check the result and shot 22 out of 25 for my first round of skeet with the gun. It really broke targets much better than I expected and was great fun to shoot. I'll consider my .410 Ringneck to be a keeper now and look forward to many more rounds of skeet and possibly some preserve bobwhite.

Post subject: Re: .410 CZ Ringneck
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

I wish that, when you found the cast on, you'd given up on it and sent it to me.

Anyway, nice job and congratulations on the new quail gun! I look forward to seeing it.

Drang nach Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:52 pm 
Crown Grade

I remember you did some great bobwhite shooting with your .410 O/U on our hunt at Alger Flats. Weren't you shooting 3" shells on that hunt. Quite frankly, if I'd found the cast on before getting all the other stuff done I might have put it up for sale to a leftie. I really like the gun now.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Bet you do, it looks like a fine gun in those pictures. Enjoy it. And yes, those were 3" shells that I was terrorizing the neighbors with.

Drang nach Alger Flats!