It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Refinish Furniture Model 12
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just bought a 1937 16 gauge Model 12 shotgun. This is my first Model 12. The wood stocks need refinishing. I have refinished several wood stocks before using BLO, Pure (uncut) Tung Oil, Pilkington’s Classic Gunstock Finish, and Permalyn. Frankly, I like all of them, but know they each have advantages and disadvantages.

I would like for the stocks to look like they did when original and new, to the extent practical. What finishes are available to accomplish this? All input will be appreciated.

In this regard, I found a Pilkington’s finish (Red-Brown Classic) promotional materials for which state: “Use Red-Brown Classic to match all those pre-'64 guns that actually had the stain in the finish.” Do any of you have experience with this finish? If so, is it appropriate for older Model 12s?

Any and all ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Post subject: Re: Refinish Furniture Model 12
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:05 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm curious as well. I will need to finish a stock for my '29 16 ga. The original finish seems to be a varnish and I was told that is original.