It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Home Defense & Trap/Skeet Shooting
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:16 pm 
Field Grade

I'm looking for a shotgun to get primarily as home defense but also for trap/skeet shooting whenever some buddies and I go out. I'm willing to spend $700 max.

I would prefer the shotgun to be semi-automatic if at all possible. I've been looking at a few guns, but I'm not going to mention them as to not bias anyone's opinion. Thanks everybody!

Post subject: Re: Home Defense & Trap/Skeet Shooting
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:36 pm 
Crown Grade

At one end you would want a gun like the Remington 1100 and you buy a shorter barrel for it. If a pump isn't totally out of the question, both Mossberg (and their Maverick brand) and Remington makes combo sets with an 18" barrel for HD and a 28" for field/target use

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Last edited by oneounceload on Thu May 10, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Home defense shotguns are more often pumps with either an 18" or 20" barrel and have an extra capacity magazine tube. Either the tube itself is longer or an extension is added instead of a magazine tube cap.

Skeet, Trap, and general use shotguns in your price range are either pumps or semi-automatic and are often equipped with 26", 28" or sometimes 30" barrels.

I would think a combo set from Remington or Mossberg would offer you the greatest flexibility for a moderate price. Both of these would be pumps and not semi-automatics but for occasional use I would think a pump would be a better choice.

If you look at the Mossberg 930 or Remington V3 synthetic field guns for general use, and a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 Express home defense models you will be right at the top of your budget, possibly a bit over, but you would have some serviceable guns that will likely last you for years and years. If you get either the Mossberg pump or Remington pump combo defense / field guns you will have quite a bit more money left over.

You can always go cheap and get Chinese, or Turkish imports but you run the risk of getting guns that are not durable and may fail. The choice is yours. When I was confronted with a similar decision I went with the Remington HD only gun and purchased a separate field barrel at a later date. Now years later I have more specific guns for specific purposes, but I still have that 870 Express as a loaner.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:24 pm 
Crown Grade

sharpside0000000 wrote:
I'm looking for a shotgun to get primarily as home defense but also for trap/skeet shooting whenever some buddies and I go out. I'm willing to spend $700 max.
Since your primary objective is home defense, target any home defense shotgun that has screw in choke tubes and meets your budget restraints. You can then somewhat tailor the gun for clay target shooting based on target discipline - open choke for skeet and tight choke for trap. You will not be equipped for any registered games where you'd want to shoot your best scores, but you'll do just fine shooting recreationally with your buddies.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:33 pm 
Field Grade

The Mossberg 930 comes in a combo with 18" cylinder bore barrel, and 28" vent ribbed barrel with choke tubes for around $600. It is a good semi auto, especially for the price.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

rule303 wrote:
The Mossberg 930 comes in a combo with 18" cylinder bore barrel, and 28" vent ribbed barrel with choke tubes for around $600. It is a good semi auto, especially for the price.

I did not know that Mossberg offered this.

Since they do it seems to be an affordable all in one semi-automatic option. I would still want to locate a magazine extension for Home Defense use, but this gun gets you most of the way there.

I found the combo gun for as little as $510 on the internet, but you will need to pay FFL fees and shipping. This may get you up around $550 to $575, but that is under your price limit. Add $50 to $100 for a magazine extension with longer spring and you are still under your limit, but your are getting close.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

There is very little that a home defense shotgun can do that a standard skeet/trap/sporting shotgun can do. Yes, the home defense gun has a shorter barrel and a larger magazine capacity. However, I dare say that very few of us have found ourselves in a situation where we actually had to point a gun at a bad guy and then need more than three rounds to fire. With that said, there are many things that a standard skeet/trap/sporting gun can do that a home defense shotgun cannot do. The longer barrel, and the overall design result in the shooter having the appropriate equipment needed to be successful in the sporting shotgun games. I suggest you ask yourself how many times a month or year you anticipate using your gun for skeet, trap, sporting clays, five-stand, or dove hunting and then ask yourself how many times a month or year you anticipate having to protect your home from bad guys, and then make a decision about which model of shotgun will REALLY serve you the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

There is very little that a home defense shotgun can do that a standard skeet/trap/sporting shotgun can do. Yes, the home defense gun has a shorter barrel and a larger magazine capacity. However, I dare say that very few of us have found ourselves in a situation where we actually had to point a gun at a bad guy and then need more than three rounds to fire. With that said, there are many things that a standard skeet/trap/sporting gun can do that a home defense shotgun cannot do. The longer barrel, and the overall design result in the shooter having the appropriate equipment needed to be successful in the sporting shotgun games. I suggest you ask yourself how many times a month or year you anticipate using your gun for skeet, trap, sporting clays, five-stand, or dove hunting and then ask yourself how many times a month or year you anticipate having to protect your home from bad guys, and then make a decision about which model of shotgun will REALLY serve you the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:54 am 
Tournament Grade

I don't think I'd go with an autoloader for home defense. I shoot them all the time for skeet and sporting clays, but there's just more to go wrong. I'd look pretty hard at a Maverick 88, Mossberg 500 (almost the same gun), or 870 with a short barrel.

If you decide the pump isn't cutting it for clays, there are still decent options in the ~500 range - the 930, the SA-08, and lots of used choices.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:09 am 
Field Grade

Win50 wrote:
I don't think I'd go with an autoloader for home defense.

Especially a Mossberg autoloader.....

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:32 am 
Crown Grade

sharpside0000000 wrote:

I would prefer the shotgun to be semi-automatic if at all possible. I've been looking at a few guns, but I'm not going to mention them as to not bias anyone's opinion. Thanks everybody!

You say you own a Beretta and Benelli SAs.
If so, they will work for targets and get a dedicated HD gun.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:32 am 
Tournament Grade

I think that the Mossberg model 930 combo is an excellent choice for what you have in mind for both usage and budget. I have owned a 930 and was very pleased with both its function and fit. Yes it's true, that some here would not use a semi auto for home defense, but the nice thing is, the choice is yours and not theirs.... Good luck with your purchase, and please let us know what you decide to do. Enjoy your weekend.

Best regards,
Joe

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:55 am 
Tournament Grade

My suggestion:

Go to a gun show or a local real gun shop and get an older used American made all steel pump gun. Clean it well, make sure is functions flawlessly in all positions, cut the barrel to 18.5 or 20" and use 2.75" shells for home defense. A full mag of 4 or 5 shells should be more than enough for any real situation. Should be doable for less than $200 anywhere. I have an Ithaca 37 with 4 shells in the mag and the hammer down on an empty chamber w/ safety off next to the bed (no kids allowed in house ever!). Any problems and it's ready in mere micro seconds.

Then go get the auto loader you want for trap/skeet/clays.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:52 am 
Tournament Grade

For $700 you can buy a new Browning BPS, Wingmaster 870 or a synthetic stocked Remington 1100 or 11/87 . Possibly with change left over.Any of these shotguns can be used for clay games with a 28" barrel. Homes and homesteads have been defended with long barreled shotguns for three hundred years.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:07 pm 
Field Grade

Home defense and sport shooting require completely different tools.

All I can think of for an off the rack multi role gun is going to be a semi or pump with 24” barrel or a double gun with 26” tubes. It’s a little long for home defense but can squeeze by if must, and it’s long enough to do fairly well if you absolutely must hunt with it.

Best bet is to get 2 barrels for a pump or semi and swap them out. I mention the 26” O/U as it’s actually going to be shorter than a pump or semi with the same length barrel. And you get 2 shots. A good O/U is out of your price range though.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are a couple of documented cases of a standard trap shotgun being used successfully in a home defense situation. In one a 14 year old girl killed the two armed intruders, who both had long criminal records, amazing.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

I tend to fall on the side of "different tools for different uses". You're never going to have to get the drop on a skeet target around a corner at close range in the dark, or rack the pump to notify it of eminent danger. Likewise, you should probably never have to shoot a perpetrator running across your property in a straight line, 20-30 yards away, at 40-45MPH, with his partner running in the exact opposite direction at the same speed...

... although I guess it "could" happen.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:11 pm 
Crown Grade

There is no reason in the world a gun with a 26 inch barrel
or even longer cannot be used for shooting someone inside
a house. It has been done many, many times in the past.
I would never cut a barrel to make the gun a "home defense"
gun. The only thing you will do when using a short barrel
for inside the house shooting is to experience more noise
level than if the barrel were longer. Also it is pretty much
of myth that the short barrel will give you a larger pattern.
Well, it will, by maybe a half inch, but no big deal.

I have only ever used a shotgun for home defense once, and
that one had a 28 inch barrel.

If you want a gun that works well at skeet and home defense,
at a low price, there are many 26 inch pumps and autos
available that work just fine for that. Trust me on this, you
will use it a lot more for skeet and outdoors than you will
ever use it indoors. If that indoor situation ever comes,
the 26 will perform flawlessly.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:16 pm 
Field Grade

Try moving around a corner/doorway with long 30" plus trap/clays barrel.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:12 am 
Crown Grade

snuf wrote:
Try moving around a corner/doorway with long 30" plus trap/clays barrel.

Nobody said that!!! Somebody above did mention using 26” barrel guns.

I can assure you that I CAN very successfully navigate around my house with a BPS or Auto-5 wit 26 “ bbl because I HAVE done this. Have you?

That’s like saying “I’m a pansy “ I can’t park an F-150 downtown. Yet I do it everyday even through the libtards in their “Smart Cars” and Subaru’s may have a slightly easier time of it

Seriously; I have nothing against shortened bbl shotguns and would get one if I needed it.

Normally I carry a .40 S&W pistol or 1911 everywhere I go. In certain situations at home I like having a shotgun loaded with buckshot.

For other reasons I recently took a trip and took one of the pistols my wife sometimes uses for SD.

I left her with an auto-5 12 mag loaded with 5 rounds of 00 Buck.

All she has to do is get the safety off and pull the trigger. Which she has done many times.

Would you like to be the guy coming up the stairs with a round of 00 Buck in your chest and face?

Or is this just more stupid “internet discussion”?