It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC Case Conditioner vs MEC Super Sizer
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:51 am 
Presentation Grade

From very brief internet searching and little knowledge of these two units I'm not able to determine what exactly they do and how they differ. If looks like the super sizer re-sizes the brass and it looks like the case conditioner removes the spent primer AND re-sizes the brass. Correct? If so, why two units that do essentially the same job? Does one unit do a better job re-sizing? Thanks

Blaser F3 Super Sport (12 ga.)
Browning 725 Sporting (12 ga.)
Browning Citori Ultra XS Sporting (20 ga.)
Browning Citori Lightning (28 ga.)

Post subject: Re: MEC Case Conditioner vs MEC Super Sizer
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:04 pm 
Limited Edition

The Mec Super sizer is their current production model and is a collet resizer capable of being adjusted for size. The Super sizer does not remove the primer.

The Mec Case Conditioner has long since been discontinued. The case conditioner is a ring resizer with a primer knock out punch, but was never adjustable for sizing.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:23 pm 
Limited Edition

Ive got the case conditioner. Never had an issue with it not doing its job. I really dont use it unless I get some "hulls shot in another gun".
Actually, never had hulls that HAD to be resized, they all seem to work.
Bought the C.Conditioner years ago for a very low price, so I just keep it around.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If I had a choice between a used case conditioner at a really great price or a new resizer, I would go with the resizer no questions asked. Its just better because its adjustable.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Back when Mec made the case conditioner all hulls had brass heads. No longer true. Many of them now have steel heads. For resizing brass, a ring sizer vs a collet is not a huge difference (although I too think adjustable is good.) For steel the collet is much superior.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:01 pm 
Crown Grade

I have both models and both work very well,but the super sizer is the way to go especially,if parts are needed?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks again all.

Blaser F3 Super Sport (12 ga.)
Browning 725 Sporting (12 ga.)
Browning Citori Ultra XS Sporting (20 ga.)
Browning Citori Lightning (28 ga.)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:00 pm 
Limited Edition

I keep an old case conditioner on my bench but not for resizing, just to knock out primers, either to recover one from a damaged hull, or for when I am prepping once fired Remington STS hulls so I can ream out the excess plastic so my WIN 209 primers fit without issue.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:01 pm 
Crown Grade

I have an old Pacific DL155 that gets used for pretty much the same thing. Been a long time since it had powder or shot in it but it still gets used.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:04 am 
Diamond Grade

Super sizers are adjustable for the amount of sizing for those that like to do so. Case conditioners use the same ring sizers as the MEC 600jr. does so unless you open up the I.D. of the ring sizer you are stuck with what ever the factory provides. If you want to do more than one gauge then the case conditioner is the easiest to convert and will cost much less than a new collet for the super sizer. Even though they no longer make them the case conditioners do come up for sale on ebay and other sites. I bought a case conditioner in excellent condition for $10 at a gun show not long ago. MEC 600jr. presses are commonly found used around my neck of the woods for $50 and are the same thing as Case conditioner in the first position. I keep case conditioner around to knock out primers and size a hull when I forget to add a new hull to the first station of one of my 9000E's.