It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Refinish Wood Stocks 1937 Model 12
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just acquired a Winchester 1937 Model 12 16 gauge. The wood needs refinishing. I have refinished several old stocks before and would like to refinish this one as well.

What finish and/or stain, and techniques do I use to replicate as much as practical the original appearance for this 1937 gun? I don’t require perfection, but I would like to attempt to get reasonably close.

Thanks.

PS: I tried posting this in theWinchester sub forum of Shotgunworld, but received no replies despite a lot of views. Hopefully, someone here will be able to help.

Post subject: Re: Refinish Wood Stocks 1937 Model 12
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Last one I did I went with the Herters French Red and ChemPacGunsavr, as suggested by others on here.

I like the way it looks. I did one with aerosol and one with wipe on, the aerosol has a more glossy finish. I used Johnsons past wax afterwards.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:34 pm 
Field Grade

I can only comment on the M54 (1925) and M70, but Vic's right (as always). Sprayed on nitrocellulose lacquer, and the pre-war base coat of lacquer contained Carnauba wax, which changes the look a bit.

If I ever live long enough to get my gun room set up (I'll have to build the house first), I want you to come visit and help me separate the sheep from the goats. Like you say, there's a considerable amount of variability in factory original M70 finishes and you have to throw on top of that all the attempts to replicate it!!! Add to that rifles that have original finish underneath an overcoat.

I've handled a pretty fair number of M70s, but can't come close to your 'gestalt' on finishes (especially wood). It's easy enough to tell "working refinishes" from original, but deliberate attempts to replicate factory are (still) hard for me sometimes. One of my failings over the years has been that I have been a total "condition collector" on post-war M70s. So most of the type III oval tang rifles I have are 99% or so condition. There have got to be some there that are professionally redone. Or else you've just made a paranoid for nothing!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:25 am 
Presentation Grade

Call timberluxe and get what ya need. Love them and watco over tru oil

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:22 am 
Tournament Grade

Thank you very much for these replies. I’m not just being polite by saying that. I am truly appreciative.

Any more suggestions will be equally appreciated.

Permit me to also seek comments about Pilkington’s Classic Gunstock Finish. One of the set of stocks I previously re-finished was with the “Gold/Brown” version of Pilkington’s. The following is stated in the marketing description of the “Red/Brown” version of Pilkington’s: “. . . the Red and Brown is perfect to match any pre-'64 guns that had the stain in the finish.“ Do any of you have experience about this product used with pre-‘64 Winchester stocks?

Any and all suggestions or comments about any kind or brands of finishes or stains for a 1937 Model 12 will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The old school way would be Alkanet root powder and boiled linseed oil.

I must admit it is a lot of work. If Pilkington’s will give you the color you want then that’s great.

If you are interested in the Alkanet root powder way I’ll go into more detail.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:39 am 
Crown Grade

I've had good success with the Herter's French Red stock filler and the Liege Finish from Art's Gun Shop in Hillsboro, MO to achieve a pre-64 finish. Unfortunately, Art's appears to have discontinued the Liege Finish. Waterlox and TruOil finishes have also given good results. I've used pure Tung oil to protect the checkering.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi