It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: oxygen
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Can you shoot clays while on medical oxygen??

Post subject: Re: oxygen
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:45 pm 
Crown Grade

I’ve seen it done at least a dozen times.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:51 pm 
Crown Grade

When I lived in NV, every store had slots and I would see folks sitting there playing slots with their O2 hose up their nose AND smoking! Remember one woman who had trach tube and would put her cig in there and smoke while wearing an O2 hose.............

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shoot trap with a guy that has a portable oxygen tank thing, I forget he even has it half the time.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Contrary to mistaken beliefs, oxygen does not burn, or explode, or anything else dangerous.
Oxygen is not flammable.

What oxygen DOES do is it makes things that are burning burn faster/hotter/better.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Incidentally, I used to have an inlaw, who had a metal heart valve, an O2 hose, asthma, and would smoke with a cigarette in one hand and the alupent inhaler in the other hand, basically alternating drags.

Yes, she's been dead a long time now.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:26 pm 
Field Grade

I’ll have to go against most comments above, your healthis most important all the shooting the world can wait and when you feel better you can shoot shoot shoot...

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:20 pm 
Crown Grade

sharpside0000000 wrote:
I’ll have to go against most comments above, your healthis most important all the shooting the world can wait and when you feel better you can shoot shoot shoot...

Most people on medical O2 are on it for a non-curing medical issue, things like COPDr an others.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:05 am 
Tournament Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
sharpside0000000 wrote:

Most people on medical O2 are on it for a non-curing medical issue, things like COPDr an others.

Exactly. It's a long term ordeal. There's no cure for what most people have O2 for. I've lived through it twice now. There was a guy with a portable concentrator at my club who shot regularly for a couple of years. My only advice is to take care with cords. Those on O2 tend to be proud but a littler slower between stations and sometimes poorly balanced on uneven terrain. Trips/falls are a real concern. Take notice of their pace and gate and plan accordingly. Don't be in a hurry and realize that they still value their independence as much as you and I, and that this might be the most fun they have all week. They might move a little slower but they can still shoot; well in most cases! I admire those that give it a go. I sure as hell wouldn't worry about anything blowing up.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:37 am 
Crown Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
Contrary to mistaken beliefs, oxygen does not burn, or explode, or anything else dangerous.
Oxygen is not flammable.

What oxygen DOES do is it makes things that are burning burn faster/hotter/better.

Does the oxygen burn the fuel, or does the fuel burn the oxygen, or do they burn each other?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:01 am 
Crown Grade

Under normal "atmospheric" conditions, a local concentration of oxygen makes things in that concentrated environment burn faster and hotter.

BUT... in a fuel-rich but oxygen-free environment, the introduction of a controlled small jet of oxygen (and a spark), the oxygen will burn like a tiny torch. (And I once saw this demonstrated in a closed container of hydrogen).

The fuel and the oxygen are in an exothermic chemical reaction, and produce a product of the chemical reaction. (In the case of the hydrogen and oxygen combination, it was water vapor.)

Enough. Time to go shooting!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:07 am 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
When I lived in NV, every store had slots and I would see folks sitting there playing slots with their O2 hose up their nose AND smoking! Remember one woman who had trach tube and would put her cig in there and smoke while wearing an O2 hose.............

Is this a great country or what!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dr Duk wrote:
oneounceload wrote:

Is this a great country or what!! :lol:

Absolutely! And the government probably paid for the oxygen (Medicare) and the gambling (social security). :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:12 am 
Crown Grade

BobK wrote:
Under normal "atmospheric" conditions, a local concentration of oxygen makes things in that concentrated environment burn faster and hotter.

BUT... in a fuel-rich but oxygen-free environment, the introduction of a controlled small jet of oxygen (and a spark), the oxygen will burn like a tiny torch. (And I once saw this demonstrated in a closed container of hydrogen).

The fuel and the oxygen are in an exothermic chemical reaction, and produce a product of the chemical reaction. (In the case of the hydrogen and oxygen combination, it was water vapor.)

Enough. Time to go shooting!

The problem with that is, the combustion ONLY HAPPENS in the presence of oxygen.

That little effect makes it seem like the oxygen is the flammable gas, but it still isn't.
The hydrogen gas is still the flammable gas, not the oxygen, but you can only get the hydrogen to burn right there where the oxygen joins it. It is effectively magician-style Sleight-of-Hand going on in that display.

Oxygen, even in a 100% oxygen atmosphere, will not burn, at all, it is non-flamable. Light a match in there, set off a spark in there, the oxygen will never ignite and burn.
That match will burn very fast though.

From Liberty Industrial Gasses:
Quote:
Oxygen, or O2, which comprises 21 percent of the earth’s atmosphere, supports life and makes combustion possible. The most abundant of all elements on earth, oxygen comprises 85 percent of its oceans and, as a component of most rocks and minerals, 46 percent of its solid crust. In addition, it constitutes 60 percent of the human body.

Colorless, odorless and tasteless, oxygen has poor solubility in water. A specific gravity of 1.105 makes it slightly heavier than air. When cooled to its boiling point of -297°F (-183°C), oxygen becomes a transparent, pale blue liquid that is slightly heavier than water.

Oxygen reacts with all elements, except inert gases, to form compounds called oxides. The rate of reaction – known as oxidation – varies. For example, magnesium oxidizes very rapidly, igniting spontaneously in air. However, noble metals, such as gold and platinum, oxidize only at very high temperatures.

Although oxygen itself is nonflammable, it enhances combustion and enables all materials that are flammable in air to burn much more vigorously. These combustion-supporting properties account for its use in many industrial applications.

Apollo #1, cabin fire, destroyed the vehicle, killed all 3 crew, in just seconds really.
16+psi pure O2 cabin atmosphere.
It wasn't the Oxygen that burned.
A short circuit spark set fire to insulation, and what burned was insulation, wiring insulation, velcro, nylon space suits, adhesives, and plastics.
A glycol-water coolant that was used (and tended to leak) was also found to be extremely flammable in that atmosphere when exposed to silver-plated electrical wire (the silver plating), and damaged wire was found near said coolant leakage points.

Vajujet 592.
Fire caused by improperly boxed/shipped (no safety caps) live chemical oxygen generators.
When ignited, the body of these get hot, 500* hot from the chemical reaction inside.
That heat will ignite common shipping materials (wood and cardboard), and will set off other generators boxed with it.
The generator will add O2 to the fire it has started from it's own internally created heat, thus making the box, crate, shipping materials, and airplane tires (rubber burns) burn hotter and faster.
Oxygen does not burn, it allows other things to burn, and the more oxygen in the area, the better those things burn.

There is no "safety issue" of a person plumbed to a portable O2 supply, in going shooting, other than any "safety issues" created solely by their own mobility or lack thereof.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Just FYI, "BURNING" is an exothermic chemical reaction where both the oxygen and the other reactant are consumed in the process and are a part of the "flame" (defined as a "burning gas or vapor". It takes at least 2 elements to get this going, Oxygen and the other element(s), and both take part and are both consumed in the rapid exothermic "oxidation" (or chemical reaction, or flame.)

In the examples you mentioned, oxygen took part, was consumed, and contributed to the heat and flames part of the products of combustion.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:41 pm 
Crown Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
The problem with that is, the combustion ONLY HAPPENS in the presence of oxygen.

Not really, fluorine will do quite nicely, and makes pure oxygen seem quite tame by comparison.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Fluorine is extremely nasty, very reactive stuff, thus extremely uncommon outside labratories.

I advise staying far away from it.

"Fluorine is a highly toxic, pale yellow gas about 1.3 times as heavy as air at atmospheric
temperature and pressure. Fluorine gas is the most powerful oxidizing agent known, reacting
with practically all organic and inorganic substances. Fluorine gas is corrosive to exposed
tissues and to the upper and lower respiratory tract. It can penetrate deeply into body
tissues and will continue to exert toxic and tissue damaging effects unless neutralized.
Fluorine reacts violently and decomposes to hydrofluoric acid on contact with moisture.
Fluorine ignites on contact with ammonia, phosphorus, sulfur, copper wire, acetone and
many unsaturated organic and inorganic compounds."

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:16 pm 
Crown Grade

So whether you regard it as the oxygen oxidizing the fuel or you regard it as the fuel reducing the oxygen is mostly your point of view just like you can regard an airplane wing's downwash as the reaction of lift, or you can regard the lift as the reaction of generating downwash.

On a hypothetical planet where the atmosphere was pure methane, it would be oxygen that would be considered the flammable substance and it would be methane that supports the reaction, both of them by themselves being fairly inert.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:08 pm 
Field Grade

Every once in a while a guy comes to one of my clubs and shoots from a wheelchair and is on oxygen. He averages about 22 or so.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:03 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks everyone for the replies, with breathing problems and other thing haven't shoot in a couple years and really miss it. Getting a little better health wise wanting to get some sporting clays in, just trying to get over the stigma of having to use oxygen. Think ya'll gave me the encouragement to do that. Thanks