It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WTB: 10 gauge reloads
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Want to buy 10 guage reloads if anyone knows anyone who would sell me some or will themselves please message me.

Post subject: Re: WTB: 10 guage reloads
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sorry, but no one in their right mind would sell a reload, they could be held liable if anything happened. And you should not be willing to shoot someones reload, you have no idea whats in it.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:00 pm 
Field Grade

What Steve Y said.

Maybe you should ask if anyone nearby can teach you to reload you`re own , if so maybe they have recipes & can help you gather components to run a batch .

But, hard to justify a bunch of components for 1 box ,so maybe factory would suffice ??
Maybe you`re future mentor would be willing to part with components for coinage while teaching you.

Just thinkin out loud.

GP

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:24 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't doubt many reloaders would be happy to help YOU to reload ammo for YOUR use. But, anyone that would sell reloads is not someone whose reloads I would want to shoot. GP100 makes a good point. Find someone who does reload 10 gauge (you have to have the right dies,) and ask if he would sell you the components and help you reload on his press. There are a number of factors to keep in mind:
There ARE NOT a lot of guys that reload 10 gauge (but there are a few)
Shipping ammo can get complicated
If you want to pursue this, you had best post a location

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I reload 10 ga and would help him get started. Where is the OP located?

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don’t think anyone is going to sell them. I don’t even like to have my buddies use them. You never know when you might have missed something a messed up.

Post subject: Re: WTB: 10 gauge reloads
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:29 am 
Field Grade

If you add your location, maybe a local could help you out.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:49 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Unless you have the appropriate Federal licenses, it is illegal to manufacture and sell ammunition. This is not an option. It's the law!

DLM

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I will put this a bit differently. I agree it's not a good idea to sell reloads, for liability reasons. But it's not a good idea to buy reloads for safety reasons.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just bought my first 10 gauge, added a loader to my collection. The OP should consider a USED MEC, I am only reloading “short” 10 gauge to shoot skeet or trap, loading down to 1 or 1 1/8 oz loads. You can convert a standard 3 1/2 10 gauge loader to load these light loads, too.
At the end of the day best way to shoot a ten without spending a fortune on factory ammunition.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For a number of years I operated a mass and custom reloading company. Was licensed as a manufacturer and had liability insurance. That being said, I would never buy ammunition reloaded by someone else, even if I know them. My attorney finally convinced me what I made doing it was not worth the risk.

Today many web sites will not allow you to advertise reloads for sale.

Recently I had the chance to buy ammunition at a very good price from a company with a lot of offerings based on reloaded pre-fired brass. Still would not buy any and I know dealers that will not stock their ammo either, even thought there wholesale prices are even better.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good advice Bob. I bought a bunch of reloads from a retiring shooter. I cut one or two every so often to check load vs what they were marked...never had a problem. I would not do this with some guy who didn’t have clue what he was doing.
I helped a 4H shooter last night load 2 flats of shells, his Dad helped, I helped and the 4Her learned all about safe reloading.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:03 pm 
Utility Grade

I am located in Laredo Texas I do travel to San Antonio frequently the factory selection for 10 guage is terrible if I had known this I never would have bought one I would have stuck with 12 guage 3 1/2

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:20 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
Quote:
the factory selection for 10 guage is terrible if I had known this I never would have bought one I would have stuck with 12 guage 3 1/2

The 10 ga is kind of a limited purpose gun. I own a couple and shoot them frequently for waterfowl. I don't have too much trouble finding appropriate loads. What kind of shooting are you wanting to do, and what loads are you looking for?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:02 am 
Crown Grade

They each have a loyal following but in some respects 10 gauge is kind of like 16 gauge. 16 has been around a long time and WAS really popular. But, 1 ounce is a superb 12 gauge load. 7/8 is pretty much the standard 20 gauge load. There is really no gap in between that another gauge needs to fill. If you have a nice old 16 that you like, fine. But if you are looking for a gun, 12 or 20 makes more sense. There WAS a time when the 10 was a real good heavy duty waterfowl gun. You just plain could not do what a 10 does with a 12 ga (2 3/4 or 3 inch.) But with the advent of 3 1/2 inch 12 ga, most of "advantages" of a 10 have disappeared.

As far as the availability and variety of factory ammo:
They don't load it so it can sit on a shelf and gather dust. They load it because they expect to sell it. They load a lot of what they expect to sell. They load a lot less of what they expect to move slowly and they put a pretty good premium on the price.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:49 am 
Field Grade

Component costs, specifically hull costs are higher for the 10 than any of the other gauges. BPI lists new Federal hulls at twice the money as 12 gauge 3-1/2" hulls. It would be extremely tough to compete with factory loads on pricing without the ability to reuse the hulls. That's assuming someone is willing to sell a box or two of their reloads. As you can see from the comments above, the financial risk far outweighs the few bucks that a box or two might produce.
If you were close, I'd have you come over and load some up to pattern and get a feel for it. I don't see how it could make sense or cents halfway across the country.

I'd suggest you buy a flat from Rogers, keep you hulls out of the water and in good shape to save or sell. A MEC 600jr costs $220 (new) for 10 gauge and it is likely in your future. Hope this was helpful...

What make and model of goose cannon did you go with? Love the 10 but it wouldn't be my only choice in the safe. In memory of Gerry Blair and Moosedick, it's still a great platform.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/amm ... 3-1-2.html

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have them - Remington, Lefever, and Parker. Reload them down to 1oz for clays and up for hunting. You'll just about have to reload if you want to shoot them . A 2 7/8" 10ga in my opinion is a great shell. If you deciede to keep it and reload, go to the Parker web site. They have many loads for the 10. www.parkerguns.org