It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old shotgun and a favor returned
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Have a close friend that has been buy selling firearms for close to 50 years and at one time owned one of the biggest collections of Model 99 Savage rifles in the country. From time to time he brings me a golf cart or a tractor or anything else he has to work on for him and I never charge him more than I have in parts as if he has something I want I always get a good deal from him and there are quite a few guns in my safe that I got from him over the years
I mentioned to him a few weeks ago that I was looking for a old SxS to hang on the wall in my den along with some old shell boxes that I had collected. On Wednesday he came by my house like he always does every week to enjoy a glass of good bourbon and conversation in the door of my shop but this time he was holding an old hammered SxS. Handed it to me and said thank you for all the help over the years. Turned out to be a Meridan Firearms 12 gauge with twist barrels in not that bad of shape for it's age and still locks up tight. Had to get on the net and do a little research on it and discovered they did not exist for very long 1905 to 1918. I know it's not worth a whole lot but it will always be special to me
Here's to good friends, fine shotguns and a shared drink of good bourbon. My we all be so lucky.

Post subject: Re: Old shotgun and a favor returned
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

You did find this, right here on Shotgun World?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=308333

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."

Post subject: Re: Old shotgun and a favor returned
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Drew Hause wrote:
You did find this, right here on Shotgun World?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=308333

Thanks for the link. Looks like the one I have was made in 1910. Will make a nice wall hanger for sure!