It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning A-5 Problem
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Just came in possession of a Browning Model A-5 12 gauge magnum shotgun.
Field stripping to clean/lub I discovered that it has two recoil springs (!?)
The breech operates fine on pulling the bolt handle and pulling the trigger thus dropping the hammer.
However when the barrel and forearm is installed, the trigger cannot be pulled to drop the hammer ??

Opinions ?

Thanks, Dayle

Post subject: Re: Browning A-5 Problem
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Something has the bolt not properly in battery to trip the trigger release toggle. It is being held too far back.
The front of the barrel extension should be flush with the front of the receiver.
Disassemble, clean, inspect, or get a gunsmith to do it for you.
Then boy new recoil and bolt closure springs.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:51 pm 
Crown Grade

It’s a Magnum, I believe the Barrel Extension is supposed to protrude from the Receiver a little. But yeah, the gun won’t fire if it’s not in battery and it sounds like the Bolt/Barrel is being held too far back. One possibility is that it’s got the wrong Forearm. I think a standard Forearm would do just what you describe.

Oh, I’ve heard that early Magnums used 2 Recoil Springs.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Found a picture:

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Great pics, that's a work of art.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:26 pm 
Crown Grade

DallasCMT wrote:
Great pics, that's a work of art.

It’s not mine, unfortunately. I just took it off the net to show how the Barrel Extension looks on a Magnum.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:19 am 
Field Grade

I have been thinking and working on this for 2 days and it just occurred to me.

The tension on the hammer spring is adjustable based on how far the screw holding it in is engaged.

The reason why it was happening in the first place was because the screw backed out enough for the hammer to not engage properly with the trigger. I was never tightening it enough. I just tightened it up a lot more than had been and problem is fixed. yay.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:38 am 
Crown Grade

That hammer spring screw should be tightened fully and lock-tited in place, never to move again.

Red stuff is perfectly OK here because you will never have to remove it for any good reason.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:01 am 
Utility Grade

Hi:
Taking another looking at the A-5 12 gauge magnum I found the problem is that the rear portion of the forearm is not slipping past the rear portion of the chamber, thus keeping the barrel from returning fully to battery. This is the original forearm, so what has happened ? wood got smaller in width ??

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:59 am 
Presentation Grade

Watch Arts video on how to set the rings for both standard and magnum. If that doesn’t help call Arts Gun Shop as they specialize in Brownings.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PpS0lrJWFw4

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dayle wrote:
Hi:
Taking another looking at the A-5 12 gauge magnum I found the problem is that the rear portion of the forearm is not slipping past the rear portion of the chamber, thus keeping the barrel from returning fully to battery. This is the original forearm, so what has happened ? wood got smaller in width ??

There is a groove that the forend fits into, does the forend fit that groove? If so, then the wood is fine.

Can you post pictures?

Here's Curly's instructions for posting them:

Curly N wrote:
Start your own account at http://imgur.com/
Upload your pictures to your account.

Go to the place on Shotgun World that you want to place a picture.
If you are already composing a message concerning the content of your photo, that would seem to be a good place to post your photo.

Open another window on your computer and go to your IMGR account and sign in.
Click on that photo that you want in your message.
Here is an example. you will notice that I have colored yellow the Description BBCODE
You will notice that there is a copy button next to that link. Click on the copy button. This will copy that entire link to the clipboard in your computer.
Move to your message that you are composing and Paste that link into the message This you can do by right clicking your mouse and then select "Paste" from the pop-up menu
Or you can just use your keyboard CTRL-V and splat it at the curser.

Like this:

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:26 pm 
Crown Grade

If the forearm is hanging the barrel up too far to the rear, I will bet the rent that it isn't the original fore-end then. The original would have been properly fitted and the gun would have worked when new.
The one "weakness" the Auto-5 has always had is those fore-ends are thin and are prone to cracking.

There is the possibility that the fore-end is a std. forearm which is a different part number from the magnum fore-end.

There is also the possibility that it is a Magnum (correct) fore-end, but that it is un-fitted, which, according to my manuals, since that fore-end basically regulates the location of the barrel in battery, it requires fitting into place, ostensibly by a qualified gunsmith.