It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington American Clay and Field 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Long time reader, first time posting anything. Thanks to all, I've learned a lot just reading topics!

I reloaded two boxes of 20 Gauge Remington American Clay and Field hulls today on my MEC Mark V Jr. single stage reloader. The first two shells I used Remington RXP20 wads as I always have with STS and Gun Club hulls, however the stack height was too short and created a caved-in crimp. I then tried a Downrange Orange Duster wad and it was a perfect fit.
The load I used for box one was:
Remington American Clay and Field once fired hulls
7/8 oz. 7.5 West Coast Magnum Shot
16.0 grains of 20/28 powder
Downrange Orange Duster wad
Remington STS 209 Primer
MEC Powder Bushing #20

The load for box two was:
Remington American Clay and Field once fired hulls
7/8 oz. 7.5 West Coast Magnum Shot
15.5 grains of 20/28 powder
Downrange Orange Duster wad
Remington STS 209 Primer
MEC Powder Bushing #19

The Alliant Reloading Manual states 15.5 grains of 20/28 with the above components in the Remington hulls should be 1200 FPS with 10,110 PSI. With 16.5 grains of 20/28 with the same components reaches 1250 FPS with 10,950 PSI so I should be good to go on the load to knock some clay pigeons out of the air if I do my part. I only shoot trap and shoot for fun, so I'm only reloading 2,000 or less a year right now between 12 and 20 gauge (I reload for fun and relaxation, not to save money).

I am looking forward to any thoughts from you guys as to why the RXP20 wads created a stack height issue when the STS, Gun Club, and AC&F hulls are supposed to be the same hulls (and any other comments y'all may have on this subject as there is not a lot on reloading the AC&F hulls that I could find). I am glad I ordered the Orange Dusters from Precision Reloading (BTW those guys are GREAT!) to try. I can't wait to get to the range next week and try these shells out!

Post subject: Re: Remington American Clay and Field 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I reload 3/4 oz 20 gauge, and use CB1075 wads, and 14 grains of Green Dot. I only use Remington hulls and interchange Gun Clubs and the new AC&F hulls. I don't notice any difference.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:48 am 
Utility Grade

I use 700X and Remington Figure 8 wads in 12 gauge and didn't have a stack issue with any of the Remington hulls. That's why I was surprised with the difference in 20 gauge and was hoping the more experienced 20 gauge loaders would have some insight. When I was shooting and reloading in the late 70's and early 80's all we used was Winchester AA hulls, different time, different components.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Reasons for dished crimp: 20/28 is a dense powder so it takes up less volume. The RXP20 wad is short. Less powder volume + short wad = dished crimp.
For your second load the Orange Duster wad is taller. The drop from 16 to 15.5 grains won't change the volume much but the taller wad is leading to a better stack height for you.

Re: 2nd post. Green Dot is much less dense that 20/28. I use a very similar load (I drop powder down to 13.4 grains) to the one listed with good results. I love 3/4 oz. loads.

The Remington reloading components are notoriously expensive. You can find very satisfactory load combinations using Claybuster, Orange Duster, Windjammer, etc that will give you good stack height and save you money. Good luck.

Dan

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My skeet load for 20 gauge:

Remington hull (STS, Gun Club, C&F)
W209 primer
15 gr Green Dot powder
Claybuster 1075-20 or OEM Winchester WAA20 wad
5/8 oz No. 9 shot
28-gauge overshot card (.030")

Velocity 1328 fps (avg 10 shots through 28-inch barrel)

This has reliably cycled the four 1100s I've tried it in.

Very pleasant through a SKB 100 sxs with plastic buttplate.

Absolutely crushes skeet birds.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:36 am 
Crown Grade

It sounds backwards, but the Remington RXP wad is a great choice for the Winchester 20 ga AAHS, unless you are using really dense powder (WSF.) The RXPs are pricey but they solve a lot of fit issues. In Remington hulls, the Orange Duster is a great choice. I find I can swap between them and the CB1078-20 with no press adjustments. My standard 20 gauge load is right about 16 grains of 20/28 and either the Duster or CB. I grab a bushing and if the drops are >15.5 and <16.5 I start loading.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:51 am 
Crown Grade

albatros wrote:
It sounds backwards, but the Remington RXP wad is a great choice for the Winchester 20 ga AAHS, unless you are using really dense powder (WSF.)
Yep; funny how that works out. And the WAA wads (or CB Clones) work very well in the Remington hulls (all 3 of them). I use Vectan AO (16.0 grns = 1200 fps) with the CB wad for 20 GA in all three Remington hulls with no adjustments to my press required and the stack height is good. Pressure is about 10,000 psi.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

Rem hulls in 20 gauge are the best and with a win type wad the stack up is a great fit. To load a AA20HS with most powders the RXP20 is the wad to use because there is very little room in the AA20HS hulls so a short wad is needed. It is all about powder density.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Great information guys! Thank you. What threw me was the RXP20 was a perfect fit in the STS hull, gave some ugly crimps in the gun club hulls, and the ACF hull had a caved in crimp you could repel into. So glad I ordered the Downrange Orange Duster wads when I did!