It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Features you like best about your shotgun
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mossberg 500. My 3 favorite things are the lifter staying up when loading the magazine, position of the slide release, position of the safety. I can flip the receiver over, drop a shell in and then use the next shell to push both in. Reloads way faster than my 870 used to.

Post subject: Re: Features you like best about your shotgun
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:58 am 
Presentation Grade

I switched from a Remington to a Mossberg 590a1 for pretty much the same 3 features. The shell lifter being up, and out of the way while loading shells is just plain easier. The position of the action release and the safety are better, but these were less of a factor compared to the shell lifter. My 590a1 has a 20" barrel and therefore has a capacity of 8 shells in the magazine compared to the 6 on my 18" 870.

I do prefer the added weight of the steel receiver on the Remington. From a durability standpoint either receiver is fine, but I actually look for places to add weight to help mitigate recoil. The Mossberg with its heavy walled barrel and aluminum receiver has more weight forward and this effects balance in a negative way. I add weight to the buttstock to help offset this.

Having said all of the above I really do feel that either gun is reliable and I would trust either one in an emergency situation. I have chosen the Mossberg 590a1 for home defense, but I have Remingtons for field and clays use. I also have Remingtons as loaners for friends to use.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:06 am 
Presentation Grade

I used to make 6 3/4" extension kits for 870s that gave you a 7+1 capacity. I made 3 or 4 of them and years later, the only person I have contact with still is my brother in law and his works perfectly. Basically, you buy a long extension (preferably Choate because you can reuse the cap) and trim it with a pipe cutter. It crimps the edges so the cap won't come loose. Not even under years of spring pressure from having 7 rounds and a 28" spring loaded behind it. Now you've got my wanting to buy an 870 ... too bad their quality has diminished so much.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:06 am 
Crown Grade

I have a Mossberg 500 and there's one single feature that comes to mind when reading this thread title. It's a 12 gauge! :D

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
MAGA = Morons Are Governing America
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:20 am 
Tournament Grade

1. Ithaca SKB 500 O/U 12 Ga Mod/IC- Short barreled and QUICK. Not one failure to fire or eject since purchased new in 1974.

2. Browning B-80 SA - 12 Ga. Weight is great ( about 7 lbs ). Balance is superb as is fit and finish. Purchased in `85. Mechanically flawless with its Beretta 303 action.

3. Remington V3 - 28" walnut. Purchased in `17. Haven`t taken to the field yet for doves. Shoots better than the guy who owns it. Flawless mechanically, well balanced ( for me ) and VERY light recoil. Shoot clays all day and hardly feel it.

4. Remington 870 Super Mag SP-T. Dedicated turkey gun. Purchased this year. `05-`07 vintage, preowned. Feels like a block of steel hewn into a gun. Very tight action. Except for patterning, shot it one time. Instantly dead turkey at between 35 and 40 yards. Don`t know about today`s Remington 870`s, but this one is rock solid.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just picked up my new Mossberg shockwave. Best and probably worst feature is the short barrel. Also love and hate the grip. But put the two together and boy oh boy now we got something !

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm a Benelli owner (M4 and Super Nova Tactical).

In order:

Reliability/Durability
Chrome lined bores
No choke tubes
Low felt recoil

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

nodakjohns wrote:
Just picked up my new Mossberg shockwave. Best and probably worst feature is the short barrel. Also love and hate the grip. But put the two together and boy oh boy now we got something !

The shockwave grip is immensely better than a pistol grip. I actually fired an 870 with a pistol grip and a twelve and a half inch barrel at the police range and handed it back after the third shot. It really hurt the web of my hand. The shockwave grip does not. But to get back on topic, what I really like about this thing is that because it is so short, I can actually have it with me. Mine will fit in a suitcase which means that I can smuggle it into a motel room without upsetting anyone. I can also keep it in the cab of my pick-up and easily maneuver it to shoot out of the window on either side if I get trapped in the city during an urban riot.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ezra Smack wrote:
nodakjohns wrote:

The shockwave grip is immensely better than a pistol grip. I actually fired an 870 with a pistol grip and a twelve and a half inch barrel at the police range and handed it back after the third shot. It really hurt the web of my hand. The shockwave grip does not. But to get back on topic, what I really like about this thing is that because it is so short, I can actually have it with me. Mine will fit in a suitcase which means that I can smuggle it into a motel room without upsetting anyone. I can also keep it in the cab of my pick-up and easily maneuver it to shoot out of the window on either side if I get trapped in the city during an urban riot.

I haven't shot it yet but hopefully this weekend. I have grip tape on it so shouldn't have allot of movement. I have seen the videos of ppl that didn't hold on tight to it and got bit by the safety. Everybody that has shot a pistol grip has said the birds eye is much more comfortable to shoot. Should be fun. It is also my primary hd weapon. I see people making mods to them but the primary things that attracted me to this weapon was the short barrel and the birds head grip. Change either and it changes the total package and the reason I have one. Being a lefty is another reason I went with the Mossberg vs the Remington. As far as shooting out of a car I cannot see any reason why I would. Only weapons I carry in a vehicle is my deer rifle and only in the fall. ! I don't typically carry weapons in my luggage, to many small kids for that. But everybody's wants and needs are different. Which reminds me I guess the top mounted safety is another feature I like about my Mossberg. I used to have an 870. Yes I got used to the safety. But this Mossberg has the safety placed where it is just intuitive.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Remington 11R.
Browning Speed Feed
Auto 5 reliability
Cross bolt safety by the trigger like 90% of my other long guns
12 gauge thunder hammer.