It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Features you like best about your shotgun
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mossberg 500. My 3 favorite things are the lifter staying up when loading the magazine, position of the slide release, position of the safety. I can flip the receiver over, drop a shell in and then use the next shell to push both in. Reloads way faster than my 870 used to.

Post subject: Re: Features you like best about your shotgun
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:58 am 
Presentation Grade

I switched from a Remington to a Mossberg 590a1 for pretty much the same 3 features. The shell lifter being up, and out of the way while loading shells is just plain easier. The position of the action release and the safety are better, but these were less of a factor compared to the shell lifter. My 590a1 has a 20" barrel and therefore has a capacity of 8 shells in the magazine compared to the 6 on my 18" 870.

I do prefer the added weight of the steel receiver on the Remington. From a durability standpoint either receiver is fine, but I actually look for places to add weight to help mitigate recoil. The Mossberg with its heavy walled barrel and aluminum receiver has more weight forward and this effects balance in a negative way. I add weight to the buttstock to help offset this.

Having said all of the above I really do feel that either gun is reliable and I would trust either one in an emergency situation. I have chosen the Mossberg 590a1 for home defense, but I have Remingtons for field and clays use. I also have Remingtons as loaners for friends to use.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:06 am 
Presentation Grade

I used to make 6 3/4" extension kits for 870s that gave you a 7+1 capacity. I made 3 or 4 of them and years later, the only person I have contact with still is my brother in law and his works perfectly. Basically, you buy a long extension (preferably Choate because you can reuse the cap) and trim it with a pipe cutter. It crimps the edges so the cap won't come loose. Not even under years of spring pressure from having 7 rounds and a 28" spring loaded behind it. Now you've got my wanting to buy an 870 ... too bad their quality has diminished so much.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:06 am 
Crown Grade

I have a Mossberg 500 and there's one single feature that comes to mind when reading this thread title. It's a 12 gauge! :D

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
MAGA = Morons Are Governing America
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:20 am 
Tournament Grade

1. Ithaca SKB 500 O/U 12 Ga Mod/IC- Short barreled and QUICK. Not one failure to fire or eject since purchased new in 1974.

2. Browning B-80 SA - 12 Ga. Weight is great ( about 7 lbs ). Balance is superb as is fit and finish. Purchased in `85. Mechanically flawless with its Beretta 303 action.

3. Remington V3 - 28" walnut. Purchased in `17. Haven`t taken to the field yet for doves. Shoots better than the guy who owns it. Flawless mechanically, well balanced ( for me ) and VERY light recoil. Shoot clays all day and hardly feel it.

4. Remington 870 Super Mag SP-T. Dedicated turkey gun. Purchased this year. `05-`07 vintage, preowned. Feels like a block of steel hewn into a gun. Very tight action. Except for patterning, shot it one time. Instantly dead turkey at between 35 and 40 yards. Don`t know about today`s Remington 870`s, but this one is rock solid.