It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Primer Drop in Mec 200 Tray
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have ran sandpaper,etc, to smooth out the elbow where primer first drops. Win 209 primers, catch there way to many times. Any help??

Post subject: Re: Primer Drop in Mec 200 Tray
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just where is the primer getting stuck/jammed?? In the tray?? In the rubber joint between the tray and drop tube??
I dont know the elbow.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

When the primer drops, the tube makes a bend, then down the rest of the tube into final destination. It hangs up in the rubber angle to the tube..

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:05 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I have had this problem before. There seems to be several causes for this. One is that the "elbow" doesn't line up correctly with the drop tube. Having to raise the tray up hard to get an alignment can cause the problem too. I also have found the hinge bracket having the drop tube welded too high on the bracket, which won't allow the proper alignment between the drop tube and the "elbow". (Had 4 of these improperly welded hinge brackets so far). This is a known factory screw-up.

Sometimes a mis-alignment at the drop hole in the tray will cause a groove to be cut in the tray, causing drop problems. You just have to determine WHERE the problem actually is and fix the actual problem.

There is no one fix on these. Once the problem is identified, it usually requires a new part, which will most likely have to come directly from MEC.

DLM

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

This is basically a brand new tray. It hangs in there, give it a tap, primer drops down. Hard to see where it actually hangs up. I'll have to call mec, maybe they will send a new one. I see the tray part and rubber bend pc is molded together. I just put some fingernail polish to smoothen it out. Give it a bit to dry, load a few to if it works. Can't hurt anything. Thanks guys for trying to help. I have to agree, not molded together right..

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Could you be lifting the tray up so hard/far that you are pinching the mouth of the rubber elbow closed a little?? Or distorting the round hole to an oval and jamming a primer??

Steve

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've put tension, just barely touch, small gap between, so far nothing foolproof. I'm a journeyman toolmaker by trade, but my experience hasn't solved this one..

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just went and really looked at mine. The tray and the elbow are a single molded part from the same plastic. So the chances of something being wrong there are almost none. (17 years working in injection molding) I would start looking at the point where the primer leaves the elbow and enters the metal tube for an alignment issue.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Basically I call it a design flaw. The rubber piece to the tube, nothing more I can do in that area. What I see it hangs in the bend. The rubber piece should be more of a rounded bend instead of the angle bend. But plastic moves, bends some when cools. Whatever it doesn't work well. Haven't went down and try my new fix. Want to make sure it dries. If I can't get it going, mec will send me a new plate.....

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

UP-DATE. The plate is all plastic one piece. Primers are hanging up in the bend, not going though. Took some material out, resanded edges inside. Put spacer (spent primer behind spring on top), which makes a stronger spring. Helps center primer to drop straight down with more momentem to go through. At this point seams to work. Loaded 50 without a hangup. Couldn't get beyond 10-15 before...

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:32 am 
Crown Grade

It IS all one piece molded black plastic. There is no rubber and there is no separate elbow. I agree with DLM: it seems like a variety/combination of problems. It has been my experience if a light tap on the drop tubes causes the primer to drop then the problem is in the elbow or at the elbow drop tube joint. Dropping the tail end of the primer tray down 1/2 inch or so seems s to help. But if you do this, you had best keep the tray well waxed or you will get primers not sliding down the tray. Best thing I have tried is to make a spacer (shim) to go between the plastic tray and the metal bracket. I used a piece of 1/8 thick aluminum. I belive it was 1/8 x 2 x about 3 inches (might have been 1/8 x 1 1/2) Drill three small holes for the number 6 screws and one big one (about 3/4 inch) for the plastic elbow. Use of this spacer opens up a very slight gap between the nozzle at the end of the elbow and the flare on the end of the drop tube. With the spacer in place I can keep the tray tilted up as far as it will go.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

albatros. Thanks for the tip. I know I'm not the only one having problems. I used a spacer, to make the top spring stronger. Makes the primer stop over the hole and drop. The problem is the primer doesn't drop far before it gets into that bend. If the primer had more distance there, would have more push to get through....

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:13 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

chips&clays wrote:
albatros. Thanks for the tip. I know I'm not the only one having problems. I used a spacer, to make the top spring stronger. Makes the primer stop over the hole and drop. The problem is the primer doesn't drop far before it gets into that bend. If the primer had more distance there, would have more push to get through....

I would suggest a new primer feed tray. They aren't very expensive, and you can get them from MEC. They are part #8959. They are not listed in the MEC Parts replacement book.

DLM

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:54 pm 
Crown Grade

No offense, but I think you are wasting your time with adjusting the spring. The only thing the spring does is push the slide back as the press come back up. If you want the primer to drop earlier or later then adjust the actuator bracket that is mounted on the side of the handle linkage. At least in my experience the primer is not actually hanging up in the little elbow. It is hanging up where the elbow meets the flare at the end of the steel tube. Dropping the tail end of the tray down a bit usually solves it BUT you are then more apt to have primers not side down in the tray. At least on my press the spacer (shim) seems to help a lot.

FYI: I measured since my earlier post. It is 1/8 x 1 1/2 x 3. It has three small holes for the three #6 screws and one hole about 3/4 inch for clear the nozzle. You might have to nip off one corner to clear the slider mechanism that sticks through the bottom of the tray.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:09 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I'll have to agree with albatros on the spring adjustment. That won't affect the drop function, just the return of the slide, even though it may have seemed to. Something was moved in the process of shimming the slide which caused the change.

I'm pretty sure in albatros' case, the shimming actually cured a different problem than he thinks it did. Most probably the drop tube on his mounting bracket was welded on the bracket a tad too high. By shimming the tray up, it corrected the clearance problem caused by the high drop tube, and made the feed work properly.

This improper positioned drop tube condition has raised it's ugly head on four different occasions in my shop in the last 2 months. His shimming method just may be the easy and quickest way to fix this problem.

In chips&clays case, I would still recommend he replace the tray before doing anything else. Unless he is pushing the tray up way too hard and causing the "elbow" on the bottom of the tray to distort, that is the most logical thing to do. Then again, maybe shimming the tray up a bit could possibly relieve the distortion and allow a primer to drop unaffected by any distortion or mis-alignment.

In any case, the tray should NOT be raised up hard. Just till it contacts the drop tube is all that's intended and is quite sufficient.

DLM

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Sir, with all due respect:
The nozzle at the end of the elbow did not line up well with the flare at the end of the steel drop tube. The shim improved this alignment. I do not know if the tube was welded to the bracket at the proper location and unless you happen to have a set of MEC shop drawings, NEITHER DO YOU. I do know the alignment was not good, and I know it is now better. I observed a problem, I fixed the problem, I do not feel I am qualified to second guess MEC without a set of their drawings. Neither you nor I know for sure why the alignment was not good. I however did find a way to correct it. The solution is NOT tilting the tray down. Put the shim in, tilt the tray up hard against the stop- IT WORKS.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:18 am 
Presentation Grade

My primers is held up in the elbow. As I had stated, primer doesn't have much momentum before it gets there. It's like jumping into the water, 2 feet vs 10 feet, big difference..
There is a design flaw in that area, and having a good alignment to the tube.
No doubt for me is making the top spring stronger, eliminated 95% of my issue. Loaded 200 last night, one primer hiccup... Thanks again for the help....

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:25 am 
Limited Edition

chips&clays wrote:
My primers is held up in the elbow. As I had stated, primer doesn't have much momentum before it gets there. It's like jumping into the water, 2 feet vs 10 feet, big difference..
There is a design flaw in that area, and having a good alignment to the tube.
No doubt for me is making the top spring stronger, eliminated 95% of my issue. Loaded 200 last night, one primer hiccup... Thanks again for the help....

There are some simple things to check, and resolve before digging too deep here.

First, you need to be certain that the primer tray bracket is mounted and positioned properly on the press. There should be two small black nipples on the mounting bracket that need to sit firmly up against the top of the press. The fixing bolt need to be tight to assure there is no movement of the bracket.

Once that is lined up correctly, you need to make any small adjustments to assure that the end of the drop tube falls over the holes in the shell carrier. I like to do that by removing the tray and inserting a large phillips head screw driver down the primer drop tube to use as a lever to align it.

The next thing I'd check is to be certain that the primer pusher within the tray is making a complete stroke, and at the very bottom of the press cycle. If it is not traveling completely the primers tend to want to roll into the drop opening instead of dropping in bottom first.

If you've already assured yourself of these things I would then dig deeper into the plastics looking for any burrs that might be catching the primer and binding it up.

As others have mentioned, you can create problems by trying to lift the tray too high creating a bad angle between the tray and the drop tube, so be careful of that.

I've got 5 Mec 9000's and did experience a bad primer tray bracket on one of them from the factory so anything is possible.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:44 pm 
Field Grade

I had the same problem on 2 different presses. amazing what you can do with a pair of channel lock pliers. with care you can change the angel of the drop tube to make it work. I used a 8"pair. they have been working for 3 yrs now.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

deadnlost wrote:
. amazing what you can do with a pair of channel lock pliers.

I think I know what you flexed, and IMHO an adjustable wrench works just as well, maybe better because you dont have to keep it closed.

Steve