It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with Remington 1100 stock refinishing
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:27 pm 
Field Grade

What are good wood strippers to remove the finish on an old 1100 stock and forearm. I have tried a few but nothing will touch it. I would like to strip it first instead of sanding to help keep the checkering

Thanks
Shane

Post subject: Re: Help with Remington 1100 stock refinishing
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What did you try? That is a pretty hardy finish. I will often break the shine with some steel wool first. That kind of helps the stripper along.

I always try CitrusStrip first. It is pretty gentle. I’ll put it on heavy and wrap the stock up in plastic wrap so that the stripper stays wet. I’ll leave it for several hours or if I get busy it may sit for overnight. Then I’ll scrape off the gunk with an old credit card. I avoid the checkering with any scraping. I use a toothbrush for that. I run it under the sink scrubbing with the tooth brush. Pat dry and repeat.

If it is a really tough finish sometimes I’ll soak it in a tub of acetone. That usually softens any finish.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:36 am 
Presentation Grade

I used Citristrip and it does a good job. Two precautions.

Use protective gloves, it really dries out the skin.

You wash it off with water, and that can swell the wood. A lot in my case. I cut a stock down, fit a new pad on and did a good job getting it sanded flush. By the time I had the new finish on and ready to assemble the stock had shrunk. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Stripping a stock hard on them. You have to prepared to fit everything again.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:09 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the reply, I have tried goof off stripper and some spray stuff with no luck. I have moved to quick strip. If this does not work I will go to citri strip. The quick strip I had at the house.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oven cleaner works. The toughest "Gorilla Snot" finishes generally dissolve in Jasco Paint and epoxy remover.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:03 am 
Presentation Grade

Aircraft grade paint stripper takes it right off. Be careful it will burn ya. It's available at most automotive stores especially those that sell body shop supplies. I like to blow it out of checkering with air pressure followed by a light brushing with a toothbrush and acetone then air again. I'm nowhere the caliber of Doug or Chris but have been tinkering with this stuff for over 60 years.