It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about Model 12 forearms
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:09 pm 
Field Grade

I just picked up an early sixties vintage (1,907,xxx range) 12 gauge riot, with a Boyd buttstock on it. It has the factory later style 14 groove beavertail style forearm. I was wondering if anyone might know if the earlier 14 groove 6 and 7/8ths inch long flat bottom forearm would fit on that action sleeve. I know there were a few variations of the action sleeve/bar over the years. The reason for the question is that I have a factory stock set I'd like to replace the existing wood with. The butt fits perfectly and I would hope that the forearm would also, but I don't know for sure, and I don't have the proper spanner to remove the forearm wood and check myself. If someone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Question about Model 12 forearms
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Can not answer the question. But you are going to need the spanner anyway. I just bought one from Midway for less than $10 bucks. A really cheaply made tool but it works.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:24 pm 
Utility Grade

The short answer is yes, they will change out fine. I actually did this exact replacement many years back because I preferred the look of the older flat-bottom fore-end. I later sold that gun and in retrospect, would not do that change again as the later design is more in line with modern stock/fore-end dimensions. I found that I shoot the guns with the later dimensions much better. Bill M is correct, you need the spanner wrench to do this change without buggering-up the metal piece at the front of the fore-end. Your satisfaction will most likely come down to the personal fit issue.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:39 am 
Field Grade

Xpert16, thanks for clearing that up. After close to 300 views of the question with no response from anyone, I was beginning to think that I'd just have to see for myself.