It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC Sizemaster. For beginners?
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thinking of reloading , especially for small gauges .... down the road.

Want to start out with 20ga. MEC Sizemaster looks like a nice place to start .
Afraid progressive is too much for starters

Post subject: Re: MEC Sizemaster. For beginners?
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Get the progressive; you're going to get there, anyway. You know you can load single-stage on a Mec progressive, until you get the hang of it.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I started with 4 sizemasters as I purchased subgauge shotguns. I now have 3 progressives (the sizemasters just sit there for the most part). I would have been money ahead to start with the progressives.

Having said that, 20 gauge is the gauge that I don't yet have a progressive. 12 and 20 are the easiest and fastest single stage that I could operate.

good luck with the decision.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with Vette, with one exception: if you are a small volume shooter, a Sizemaster is all you really need. With it, you can crank out three or four boxes an hour.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I hunt and shoot clays.

I use both Sizemasters and 9000’s.

I guess you have to think about what you are reloading for and how many shells you are going to use.

I also use the Sizemasters when I want to experiment.

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

casonet wrote:
I agree with Vette, with one exception: if you are a small volume shooter, a Sizemaster is all you really need. With it, you can crank out three or four boxes an hour.

This!

The Sizemaster is fine for low volume reloading. When I first got the press I had a couple of thousand empty shell casings. Getting them all made was quite a chore, hours and hours pulling the lever, not very much fun. Now if I keep up on the empties and don't let it get to more than 150 it is quite manageable. When I am really on top of things and only need to load 50 or so it is easy and only seems to take a few minutes.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:04 am 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
I hunt and shoot clays.

I use both Sizemasters and 9000’s.

I guess you have to think about what you are reloading for and how many shells you are going to use.

I also use the Sizemasters when I want to experiment.

Read this.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=448601

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pulling a handle 300 times just to shoot 50 rounds of clays gets old real fast.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:42 am 
Tournament Grade

Figured on gearing up for the winter . Shoot & save hulls and reload in the colder winter days

Been looking at the cost factor and not sure it pays [ depending on lead shot & powder costs] except for 28 ga & .410

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I loaded 2000 old style AA 28 ga one winter on my Sizemaster a little at a time. The repetitive handle pulling really didn’t bother me. I just pretended that it was a slot machine!!!

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:31 am 
Crown Grade

I load 12 gauge on a 9000 with an air cylinder and foot pedal. It can easily do 500/hr. I load and shoot 15,000/yr. I load 20 gauge in a Sizemaster. It is srictly manual. I can do 200 in an hour in it, but after doing 200, you will be done for the day. I load and shoot about 1000/yr of 20 gauge. I see absolutely no reason to change for either gauge. It all depends on volume. Suppose you need 3-4 boxes of ammo tomorrow. By the time you figure in set up time, clean up time, and boxing shells, there is a negligible difference between the 9000 and Sizemaster. Suppose you need 3-4 flats tomorrow. You REALLY need a 9000.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Started with a Sizemaster. I loved it. Still have it set up for 20 gauge now. Got a progressive in 12 gauge. I hate loading on the Sizemaster now compared to loading on the progressive. So I just shoot 12 gauge and sometimes even buy 20 gauge shells.

Yes, you can load 4 or 5 boxes of shells an hour on a Sizemaster. At least I guess you can if you say so. I can not!! I just do not like the constant attention of slapping that charge bar back and forth and moving the shell every 5 seconds after I do it for 20 min. or so. Two boxes would be a long run for me on it. Plus my progressive makes a nicer looking shell.

Starting with the progressive is probably tougher. But still doable.

Better to start with the Sizemaster than not to start at all.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:42 am 
Presentation Grade

I still have my old Versamecs I bought 45 years ago. I load most of my 12 and 20 gauge on progressives but the single stages are very useful. As Dogchaser said. Experimental stuff, checking out new loads, short runs of hunting loads etc. My heirs can deal with the old single stage loaders. I still use them.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you plan to load shot sizes 7 1/2 or smaller in relatively large quantities the progressive is what I would recommend. If loading larger shot is in your plan a single-stage will work better. Larger shot tends to bridge more easily than the smaller shot and can really be an issue with a progressive loader.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shootingcajan raises a good point. I personally just load for clay targets now and have never tried to load a hunting load on my progressive. A Sizemaster would be good for loading a few boxes of different loads. You can do it on the Progressive one shell at a time but that is even slower than the Sizemaster. I do still like the extra bit of taper the extra crimping station on the progressive gives the shells.

There is no really wrong way to go in this choice.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:31 pm 
Crown Grade

If he is loading bigger than #7 1/2 then he is not loading for clay targets. If he is not loading fir clay targets it is very doubtful he would need any more ammo than can be easily turned out on a Sizemaster. As noted earlier, I load 12 gauge on a 9000. But, I have an old single stage Pacific in 12 gauge. It is down at tbe end of the bench and it does get used.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:17 pm 
Field Grade

I think the key here definitely is volume- it depends how many you shoot during a round, in a year etc. If you shoot 100's of shells every weekend I think you would get your moneys worth out the 9000. If you shoot a round or two here or there then dropping $600 for the loader and then accessories and components doesn't make much sense. That being said, reloading to me is a fun hobby and it quickly becomes kind of addictive and you end up buying more and more stuff.

I have a Sizemaster for 12g and 600 Jr for 28 and I really like them. I bought both new because as a new shotshell reloader I didnt want to have to include the learning curve of dealing with a used loader to the mix. To me, that would be especially true of a 9000. If you do get the 9000, and I hear they are good loaders, then I would recommend getting a new one. MEC tech support is also very good.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I started out years ago with a single stage Pacific reloader in 12 gauge (back when it made financial sense to load 12 gauge.) It works and if you find reloading a new Hobby and not a chore, you will be fine with a single stage machine for low volume, but like most here, I have 5 progressives covering, 12,16,20, 28 and .410 and if I change anything it will be to go to a Spolar with interchangeable heads for all those variations.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:36 pm 
Field Grade

shootingcajun wrote:
If you plan to load shot sizes 7 1/2 or smaller in relatively large quantities the progressive is what I would recommend. If loading larger shot is in your plan a single-stage will work better. Larger shot tends to bridge more easily than the smaller shot and can really be an issue with a progressive loader.

Now that throws a wrench in the mix..

What about those that do both,,hunt and target? Be a little steep to have both..

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It’s only money........spend the kids inheritance.......it will build character!!

aka Mr. Tactful.