It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MEC Sizemaster. For beginners?
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:07 am 
Crown Grade

I have a mix of both MEC 9000's and Sizemasters based on whether I'm anticipating high volume or more limited reloading of that gauge. 12 ga I have a Sizemaster because I only load low pressure shells for a couple of vintage SXS's. The loads I use for trap league, I buy on sale or with rebate or both cheaper than I can reload. 16, 20 and 28 gauges I have the MEC 9000 as most of my shooting is with those sub-gauges. I just purchased a .410 Sizemaster to do some limited reloading of 2 1/2" AAHS hulls to do some fun skeet shooting with a CZ Ringneck I acquired and had Briley screw-in chokes installed. I plan to use the .410 occasionally for preserve quail hunting, but will go with factory 3" loads for live birds. Bottom line for me is both the Sizemaster and the MEC 9000 make sense if matched to the intended reloading volume.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

mfm22 wrote:
Figured on gearing up for the winter . Shoot & save hulls and reload in the colder winter days

Been looking at the cost factor and not sure it pays [ depending on lead shot & powder costs] except for 28 ga & .410

Just computed my new reloading cost for current prices. All rem or win components with lawrance mag shot. STS20 gauge $4.55/box, AA28HS gauge $3.89/box, WIN410-3" $4.04/box. All premium components comparable to STS & AA ammo. Size Masters in 20 & 28 gauge are great and you can load hunting loads with out much fuss. If your to load 2.5" 410 go with a progressive because they have auto primer function like the 28 gauge and up SM's. I have 4 size masters wish I had a progressive for those 2.5" 410 just for the auto- primer.

I reload about 250 per week year round at about 4 boxes an hour and never had a bad load. The progressive guys just live with pops and squibs and checking to see if there is a wad left in their barrel.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Don't think I'll be doing large volumes any time soon . Really thinking of the hard to find shells / loads
Looked for factory shells with 9 shot and very poor choices

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mostly what you will be able to find in 12 gauge factory shells is 7.5 or 8. 9's are a really rare find, not impossible just hard to find.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: Dutchess County, NY - the northern most county of Alabama
mfm22 - I load 16 gauge and 12 gauge on MEC SM's - loading 16 gauge is about the only way to find have shells unless taking a road trip to get some Cheddite/Herter's shells at a Cabela's. Since I don't shoot that many of them a SM works great for the few boxes a year I reload.

For 12 gauge it on a SM gets it gets to be a chore loading flats of shells just to save a few cents/box. That is when I can find factory shells at a decent price here in lower "upstate" NY. Many vendors sell at full retail. When the great shortage was going strong, reloading was the only way I could get shells to shoot and my SM got a workout. A lot of mix and match of components found hither and yon kept me in shells. I'm now well stocked in Gun Club hulls and am using up the Cheddite and RIO hulls I was reloading back then.

You live in the part of NY where shipping in of some reloading supplies can be a problem so shopping online can be a challenge for you. I hope you have a decent supplier near you. If not, and you need lead shot and are willing to travel to near Port Jervis there's a supplier up there that has decent lead pricing. Else, wait for one of Cabela's sales and buy lead shot with free shipping included.

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks , I'm probably getting some sidekicks to shoot subgauges. Will save hulls and start thinking about stocking up supplies for the winter