It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: F. Dumoulin & Co. 12 gauge side x side Blue Damascus Belgium
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:25 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a very old F. Dumoulin and Co. 12 gauge side by side with two external hammers and two triggers. It's in rough condition with a cracked forearm and cracked buttstock but it is one hundred years old or so from some of the research I've done. It has rust on the barrels with no bluing left. It has surface rust and pitting in the barrel. The gun is all original and I'd love to know the exact year and value of this old girl. She was definitely used but she is still beautiful. It has many proof marks on the gun with a serial number of 106. I'm very excited to see what y'all have to say and teach me about this old double. The wood stock is checkered and the side plates are engraved. Please help me out and let me know what y'all think. By the way I'm from Louisiana but stay near Memphis now. Thank y'all for the help in advance!

Here's a link with some of the proof marks on my double.
http://www.shotguns.se/html/belgium.html

Post subject: Re: F. Dumoulin & Co. 12 gauge side x side Blue Damascus Bel
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

It was manufactured after 1893, and likely before 1898 and does NOT carry smokeless powder proof. There does appear to be a crolle pattern underneath the bluing.
No attempt should be made to shoot the gun, with any load, and the cost of repair would exceed it's practical value.

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:32 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for that information. What do you think this gun is worth? I do think it's an early one because of the 106 serial number but it is in rough shape. Have any idea of the monetary value of this piece? I do appreciate your help! Thank you

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Age alone does NOT equal value. Condition is everything, even on a "name brand", and by your own admission it is in rough shape. With a cracked butt stock, cracked forearm, surface rust anf pitting, it MIGHT bring $50 to $75 tops as a wallhanger. It is NOT shootable or functional.

If it belonged to a close favorite relative, it might have some intangible sentimental value.