It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inconsistent powder drops
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

I am using a MEC Grabber, 761R, that has been reliable up until now.

Now being that the powder drops are inconsistent. My recipe calls for 14 grains and I usually get that amount dropped but to often I get a powder drop of anywhere in the range of 9 to 12.

Really bugs me when at the SC course when worrying about what's going to come out of the barrel instead of thinking about the target.

I replaced the rubber grommet at the powder bottle. The bottle is snug to the bar but not so snug that it doesn't move freely. I have watched the travel of the bar and it seems to move back and forth OK.

Using the same brand powder that I have been using forever. It's not clumping and seems to flow smoothly when filling the powder bottle and when pouring it out of the hull to measure it's weight.

The bushing looks good.

Any ideas as to what to check next? Thanks

Blaser F3 Super Sport (12 ga.)
Browning 725 Sporting (12 ga.)
Browning Citori Ultra XS Sporting (20 ga.)
Browning Citori Lightning (28 ga.)

Post subject: Re: Inconsistent powder drops
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:54 pm 
Crown Grade

gbanker wrote:
Using the same brand powder that I have been using forever.

Which brand?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

gbanker,

Tossing out some ideas....

Is there something that may be blocking the powder tube? Perhaps a piece of debris that causing the different drops, or something caught in the powder bushing?

You mention it, but watch the charge bar screw and make sure it travels all the way to the left and just touches the chrome frame when you pull the handle down. And then travels all the way back.

Dry climate in CO, and if you have just started using AC it could make the air drier still. I have never had a significant problem with static electricity, but do you see any powder sticking to the sides of the bottle? Seems like too big a disparity for this, but just mentioning it. Several fixes people use include grounding your loader and putting drier sheets into the powder bottle.

Also, have you tried using the red powder baffle? Since you historically were getting consistent drops, than it is probably not the issue, but it does do wonders to help make drops more consistent.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Be very sure the powder drop tube is clear. Sure as in actually run a brush through it. I had a clear plastic flake from the inside of the powder bottle take up residence in the drop tube. Some times it would apparently block the tube more than other times. I looked several times and did not see it. When I finally got it out I understood and it fixed the problem. Another thing that could cause such large variations is the bar not going fully under the bottle or fully over the drop tube. And yes, you do need to fix this problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:39 pm 
Field Grade

This board member had a similar drop problem and discovered bugs in his powder.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=463381
He screened the entire 8lb jug of powder and found more bugs.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:03 pm 
Crown Grade

stripersonfly wrote:
Also, have you tried using the red powder baffle? ...it does do wonders to help make drops more consistent.

That depends on the powder. With some big-flake powders it makes them a bit worse.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:48 pm 

If you are using the brass washer under the rubber grommet, remove it and run several drops and check the weight. They are known to move around and block powder flow into the bushing.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:48 pm 
Limited Edition

I once had a jug of powder that had small strips of cardboard in it. A big piece got stuck in the drop tube - lucky I looked down the tube. Called Hodgdon and they said the big containers they keep powder in are made of layers of paper/thin cardboard and that’s where it came from. They did send me a new jug of powder. Take a good look in your powder bottle and drop tube.
Jeff

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Discovered that the mechanism that controls how far the bar slides somehow got out of adjustment. That caused the powder bushing to open only half way. Simple adjustment and all good now.

Thanks for all the responses.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

gbanker wrote:

Discovered that the mechanism that controls how far the bar slides somehow got out of adjustment. That caused the powder bushing to open only half way. Simple adjustment and all good now.

Thanks for all the responses.

If you double nut that rod that determines bar travel that wont happen again.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Good idea! Thanks Steve.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Yep, double nuts or locktite.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:54 pm 
Crown Grade

I always thought the nut that adjusts this is a Nylock nut, it should stay in position. Curly has always recommended a second lock or jam nut. As usuall, Curly is right. Second nut costs about a penny, problem gone.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:25 pm 

albatros wrote:
I always thought the nut that adjusts this is a Nylock nut, it should stay in position. Curly has always recommended a second lock or jam nut. As usual, Curly is right. The second nut costs about a penny, problem gone.

A nylock nut just makes the nut harder to turn. If you unwind the thread off of the shaft in your mind, it is actually just a long inclined ramp. Every cycle of the bar is a force that is trying to push that nut down the ramp. Put a non-nylock nut on the rod and watch how fast it moves, the furnished nut does the same thing but a whole bunch slower, but it still happens eventually. It is not a matter of "IF, but a matter of "When". The addition of the jam-nut stops that movement positively. I remove the ny-lock, install the jam-nut on the rod and then put the nylock back in place under it. That rod is threaded 10-24.