It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should killing a cop be an automatic death penalty?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Today President Trump spoke at the 37th Annual National Peace Officers' Memorial Service where he demanded stronger protections for law enforcement officials and an end to ambush-style attacks of police officers across the country. Trump said:
[quote]
"The Trump administration has a policy and it's very clear: We will protect those who protect us," the president said in front of the Capitol building.

"We believe criminals who kill our police should get the death penalty.[/quote]

What is your opinion on a mandatory death penalty for cop killers?

Post subject: Re: Should killing a cop be an automatic deth penalty?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Black Lives Matter has a lot to answer for by encouraging the killing of police officers. In my mind that's hate speech.

We seem to have moved a long way from "traitor" ,"sedition" , and other similar terms. If this isn't brought under control, no one is going to want to be a police officer, and then we will have lawlessness and anarchy.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:46 pm 
Crown Grade

No. This isn't Animal Farm.

Yet.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Nope. Cops have enough special treatment as it is. If there's no mandatory death sentence for civilians killing civilians or cops killing civilians, then why should there be one for civilians killing cops? I swear Trump's jack booted thug Fascism is showing more and more everyday!

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
MAGA = Morons Are Governing America
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:47 pm 
Crown Grade

The death penalty is the ultimate in society's punishment for violating the most horrific of taboos.
It is mainly symbolic, as any government policy of punishment, to make the law-abiding feel rewarded for good behavior.
Philosophically I object to such punishment reserved for those who in actuality, not symbolically, kill the police powers of the state.
Agents of the state should not be seen as more valuable than an individual citizen.
To look at it from a different angle, Should law enforcement personnel be subject to the death penalty should they be convicted of the murder of a citizen whether on or off duty, no matter how repugnant that citizen may be?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:12 am 
Crown Grade

Maser wrote:
I swear Trump's jack booted thug Fascism is showing more and more everyday!

I haven't really notice any changes in police behavior, have you? Or are you just parroting the propaganda of the Trump hating SJW's who themselves have come very close to America's equivalent of the Nazi Brown Shirts of prewar Germany?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’m for a properly ceremonial death penalty, never automatically imposed, and always with power of pardon or commutation in the Governor or President, for federal crimes, to the last second before execution.

The person executed should always be undoubtedly guilty of the most savage and cold blooded crimes, or treason or severe military offenses.

The death penalty may not deter criminals more than life in a cage does, but it’s impossible to know what crimes don’t happen.

The value of a proper death penalty is putting a proper ending for future generations as to how we dealt with the most heinous offenders of our time.

The example of the Nuremberg and Japanese War Crimes trials come to mind.

Our grandfathers hung the most evil of them, and spared a few to show us they knew mercy.

Another proper example of the death penalty was Timoth McVeigh. Yet his accomplice Terry Nichols was spared to rot in prison for life.

The death penalty is one of those issues where reasonable people will always disagree.

And the reasonable people opposed to the death penalty are slowly winning the debate.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:19 pm 
Crown Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
The death penalty may not deter criminals more than life in a cage does, but it’s impossible to know what crimes don’t happen.

I have to strongly disagree on that statement. Take countries like KSA that still do public executions and compare it to this country where we hardly ever execute anyone anymore even when they're on death row for 15+ years and tell me that the death penalty doesn't deter crimes especially when done in public. Hell, there's people who are serving a life sentence in prison and are living better than they were on the outside. I may not agree with most of Islamic ways, but I 100% support their "eye for an eye" mentality.

Read this story and tell me that scumbags like that should stay breathing the air you and I and everyone else breathe:
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
MAGA = Morons Are Governing America
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant

Post subject: Re: Should killing a cop be an automatic death penalty?
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The death penalty is the ONLY form of punishment with a zero recidivism rate.
People serving life sentences in non-death penalty states are often of the most violent and dangerous inmates because they have nothing to lose. For all intents and purposes they can and often do take out their frustrations on guards or other prisoners without fear of consequence.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:48 pm 
Crown Grade

A man who worked in the New Jersey system spoke of a hitman from the thirties who while in his nineties tried to kill a correctional officer.
But generally speaking lifers end up seeing prison as their home and want as little disruption as possible.
That is not to say that property offenders that have been disciplinary problems through multiple incarcerations become more unpredictable, irrational and dangerous once dementia sets in.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nope... cops aren't a special class of citizen. We already give them far more "hero" status than they deserve.

That said, I'd be in favor of the death penalty for all violent criminals.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:48 am 
Crown Grade

I don't trust the federal government to administer lethal punishment for any crime except treason.

Also the Constitution prohibits creating a class of nobility.

Hey Doctor, good to see you around. {hs#

'knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules' - king crimson

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Our grandfathers used to have public hangings for rape, murder, and even horse stealing.

And they stopped public hangings, by the decision of the legislatures.

America has even stopped the gas chambers, and electrocutions, as methods of executions. And although there is still a federal death penalty statute and 31 states still have capital punishment, only Texas, Missouri, Alabama, and Oklahoma, and a few other states seem to actually execute an occasional murderer, usually decades after their murder was committed.

There’s a lack of will to execute criminals in the United States, and it’s been going on a long time.

Still yet, I support the death penalty as a cerimonial punishment for the most evil offenders.

But most folks seem to be headed the other direction, on that issue.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The other side of the coin is that incarcerating a criminal for life infringes on the tax payers.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ezra Smack wrote:
The other side of the coin is that incarcerating a criminal for life infringes on the tax payers.

That would be true if America actually executed criminals as we did a century ago, but that not true today.

When a prosecutor seeks the death penalty the cost of the initial trial skyrockets, because the defense lawyers and prosecutors increase several times over a conventional trial. On conviction, the cost of the decades of appeals run into millions of dollars. And for twenty or even thirty years, the condemned prisoner is kept isolated on death row at a much higher cost than being in the general population. If actually executed, which seldom happens, the cost of the execution itself is high due to to adminstrative, legal, and security costs,,,then the state has to bury the body, and mark the grave. It costs a fortune to execute a criminal, and it gets more expensive by the year.

The anti death penalty advocates are the reason, it’s actually cheaper in modern times to lock a man up for fifty years, than to execute him twenty or thirty years later.

Whether you agree with them or not, the folks opposed to the death penalty have been highly effective in discouraging executions.

The pro death penalty side seems to just keep on losing ground.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The death penalty is about vengeance, not justice. I’ve got cops in my family who I love dearly and would want a killer of them dead. The problem is that justice should not be driven by the emotions of those wronged. Some one rapes a girl in my family, I would want to kill him. Is that justice or revenge, we have rules and limits on our ability to get even with those who act against us. That’s the way it should be.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:59 am 
Crown Grade

Having worked behind the walls I can say that there is no shortage of property offenders who deserve the death penalty, just because.
On violent offenders, these can be the true first time offenders with little if any criminal history.
Much more like you or me than the malignant indignant piles of puss with a three page rap sheet that can be many property offenders.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think that should be the case for any murder, not just for a police officer. The only thing I would change is I would allow the family to chose how a cop killer was to die.

I am a firm believer if they would take these asshats straight out of the courtroom to the court house steps and hang their a$$ immediately crime would a heck of a lot lower than it is. This politically correct coddling we do now days is not punishment.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:29 am 
Crown Grade

And yet the liberals celebrate a Mothers right to murder her unborn child...

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The death penalty should be for when there is un-refutable physical evidence, and then it should be mandatory, and swift. For ANY aggravated predatory physical assault.