It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to improve at Skeet
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:14 am 
Tournament Grade

Besides shooting what can be done at home to help become a better Skeet shooter

I'm starting out and would like to find a way to " practice " & learn to improve
Not that young and would like to see a steady learning curve

If it's books or video's , drills for mounting , exercises for eyes I'm open to all suggestions

I see trap shooters have a wall chart that seems to help - anything for skeet ?

May as well ask , when at the field whats the most effective way to Practice

Thanks

Post subject: Re: How to improve at Skeet
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Find and memorize Todd Bender's cheat sheet.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:43 am 
Limited Edition

If you are a beginning shooter, I would suggest buying either LP's skeet video or Benders skeet video. But, watching and doing are 2 different things. If you have a local club that you can shoot at, find a skeet shooter who may shoot registered skeet and would be A class or higher. The reason is these shooters would have a good grasp of the basics and be able to show you the basics of skeet. The basics would be hold points and foot position. Once you grasp the fundamentals of shooting technique, then you can build upon your score. The best practice one can do is just shoot. Concentrate on 1 target at a time 1 station at a time. For me my practice incorporates normally 10 to 18 rds a week. Sometimes I shoot nothing but high houses, sometimes I shoot all low houses, sometimes I just may shoot 1 particular station. A good sequence for me is 4 regular rds, and 2 rds of 3,4 and 5 doubles. If you dont shoot registered skeet forget shooting doubles. If their is a club that shoots registered skeet by all means check it out and just watch.

Welcome to the addiction and by all means have fun.

Kicker

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:29 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks , I shot for a brief time 12 yrs ago .. life happens and had to stop .

I've taken a few lessons from a very good instructor locally , trying to learn decent technique and not ingraining bad form . Lessons are $ and I want to practice more between lessons .

I have left eye dominant , right handed otherwise - Shooting left handed is the best option
I'm finding the reaction time [ brain to trigger finger ] is not as fast , hoping that will develop .
My nemesis for now is HH#1 [ among others ] frustrating because so little movement needed
but must trust the hold point - see it - shoot it ! ... HH#8 is easier as I'm able to react and swing through . What seems like an easy game is anything but !
Have to love the game as it is a Challenge , can't imagine what it takes to shoot in tournaments .
The concentration & Focus is demanding

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

mfm22 wrote:
Thanks , I shot for a brief time 12 yrs ago .. life happens and had to stop .

I've taken a few lessons from a very good instructor locally , trying to learn decent technique and not ingraining bad form . Lessons are $ and I want to practice more between lessons .

I have left eye dominant , right handed otherwise - Shooting left handed is the best option
I'm finding the reaction time [ brain to trigger finger ] is not as fast , hoping that will develop .
My nemesis for now is HH#1 [ among others ] frustrating because so little movement needed
but must trust the hold point - see it - shoot it ! ... HH#8 is easier as I'm able to react and swing through . What seems like an easy game is anything but !
Have to love the game as it is a Challenge , can't imagine what it takes to shoot in tournaments .
The concentration & Focus is demanding

Welcome! I have to react to your comment about High 8 - "swinging through" the target is not going to be the best technique to break H8 consistently. If you have a good hold point (see Bender's cheat sheet as an example) and move on the flash you can easily keep the gun ahead of the target. You don't need to see any lead - just shoot it as it reaches your barrel.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm sure that's the right way .
my point was That i felt like I had a fighting chance with 8 where HH1 seems like such a short window / time to get it

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:39 pm 
Crown Grade

If high 1 is giving you problems, you need to find another instructor. Sorry but I have first time shooters consistently breaking that Target in the second lesson. I would guess you are not looking in the right spot or standing in the right place, or your gun is not fitted right.
Good luck
Allen aka WAM

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

High 1 can be especially challenging for those with weak eye dominance or nearly central vision. For those with such a condition, dominance can switch in an instant, often just as you move to the target. It can be extremely frustrating.

Have your coach check your dominance, repeatedly over a short period of time. Also, you can try fully or partially closing your right eye, to see if that helps. If it does, you may have a dominant switch problem. Many ways to deal with it that work reasonably well.

As one who has weak eye dominance, I also switched shoulders, from RH to LH. Took a while for the trigger finger to not be spastic occasionally, but the visual comfort and shooting consistency is much better. Give it time - you’ll do fine.

Good luck and safe shooting.

PM or contact sales@hollywoodoptical.com for details

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Can't throw the instructor under the bus , I'm the shooter. You may be better than he is and your students may be more talented than myself . I'll figure this station out .

My left is and always has been the stronger eye vision wise and Dominant as well
But I have noticed on the last session the targets seemed to be flying right side of center post - as far as what I was seeing .. next time out I will pay more attention to the direction before shooting
Hold point & look point seem to be key Guess that's true of all shots

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:29 pm 
Crown Grade

WAM SKEET wrote:
If high 1 is giving you problems, you need to find another instructor.

:wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:59 am 
Crown Grade

Mfm22,
I am not trying to be a smart a$$. But has your instructor, checked for gun fit, did he have you mount the gun with your eyes closed and then had you open them to see where your I was, did you or he or either one shoot the gun off of benchrest to check the point of impact, did he take you to low 7 with a full choke and have you shoot targets and get the gun shooting where you were looking, did he tell you that you needed to stand as far back on Station 1 as possible and look up as high as you can without taking your head off of the gun, does he or can he determine eye dominance not codominance. If you didn't answer yes to every one of these questions then he hasn't done his job. You will be learning how to shoot a gun that probably doesn't fit or shoots where you're looking and learning things that you will probably never be able to correct and overcome. Sorry but the truth hurts sometimes.

Allen aka WAM

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:59 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and state something controversial: Skeet isn't for everyone. It requires patience and discipline. It is a game of perfection for those that wish to shoot competitively. I've had my battles with the game - everything from strange eye dominance issues to gun mount problems - but all of the things that continue to hold me back are mental. You have to be able to focus on the moment - every bird, every time. I struggle with that focus. My temper has gotten the best of me at times as well - I had to condition myself over time not to get too angry with the game. Because of these things, I've accepted the fact that I'm probably not going to be a top shooter with a high 90's average. As it stands I'm a 23-24/round shooter for the most part. I'll run off a 50 and follow it up with a 40 on the back end. I lose focus. I shoot for fun and the hope of improving, but I try to be realistic in my goals. Shooters far better than I have told me that I have all the technique and experience to be a AAA shooter but I just don't have the mental discipline.

My point is this: shoot for fun first. If you enjoy the game, have the right attitude, and PRACTICE, it will come together. Be realistic, especially in terms of how much time you can devote to the game. Don't obsess. It's relatively easy to go from 15-20, and from 20-23; thats mostly mechanics and experience. It's another thing entirely to go from there to 25 almost every time - that's when the mental part rears its head. Understand your own limitations. The most successful shooters I know have distilled the game down to its basic elements and perfected them over time. Try not to get too fired up when you miss birds you "should've had" because the truth is we "should've had" them all :)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:31 am 
Tournament Grade

Hey WAM , I understand what you're saying . I really should bench test & pattern gun .
we did most of what you listed , but not all . I do appreciate your input just figured I need to do work on my end . Did worry to much about gun fit but I'll go over all aspects

wasthestumper - That pretty much sums up my attitude - I realize the mental focus is a huge part of this sport . Developing that focus needed on each and every target is going to be the hardest challenge after the basic stuff is dealt with
I find myself calling for some targets and I'm really not ready mentally to move on them
I'll see how things go ... It Takes about an hour each way to range , they are open Wed - Sun
Saturdays are out as I work , Sundays are swamped with many shooters .. I steal a few hours weekdays from work [ self employed] when possible . So practice time is precious
It's pouring again today ! Fun , I enjoy shooting but it's more enjoyable when you do well
Not perfect but well - improving along the way .
Reality check for me , I'm 63 not 23 [ my brain forgets this ] lol

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 am 
Limited Edition

Skeet is purely a mental game once you learn the very simple hold points, break points and how to swing the gun. What I like about is the simplicity. The BIG problem I and most everyone has with skeet is that little guy that sits on my shoulder and whispers all sorts of non-sense into my ear which causes me to miss religiously. To learn to control this I recommend reading 'Mind vs Target: Six steps to winning in the clay target mind field' by Bob Palmer and subscribing to the OSP Knowledge Vault.

www.woolleyshooting.com
www.triggersportsintl.com
Muller Mofia
Pilla Glasses call Granny www.pmsfirearms.com
http://silverbulletgunoil.net

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Mfm22,
Look, here's the point, it's like building a house, you can't start at the roof. If you don't want to learn bad pictures, then the equipment and fit has to be right. Some think just because the beads line up the gun fits, that's far from the truth, thus the reason to fit the gun with a full choke and it would really be best to take the front bead off at low 7. A lot of people think their mental game is off because they shoot good at times, when in fact other things are off.

Now the mental game. The problem most have is trying to concentrate on to many things and second guessing their self. The only hard part of the mental game is learning that you don't have to do much thinking at all. If your equipment is right, if your mechanics is right, if you keep your head on the gun, (all this should be automatic), then trust the shot ( in others words don't second guess) and finally look at the TARGET.

A little story, I have not shot practice, went to the Masters shot 2 rounds of doubles, then broke a 395. Now that wasn't good enough, I was 2 targets out, meaning a 397 won it. And maybe if I had shot some practice I would have done better. But every shot I missed, I over thought, not under concentrated. The whole time all I did was try not to think, only trust the shot I was taking and look at the Target.

Good luck
Allen aka WAM

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

There's something to what WAM says and I should have mentioned - don't over think. That's what spirals you into the abyss of skeet despair. The best score I ever shot was a 99 on auto pilot. It was hot, and I was just "making the donuts" trying to get 4 rounds of practice in- not really thinking about anything else at the time. Rinse, lather, repeat on every station. I missed my second H2 single. I didn't surprise me, took the "pressure" off, and an I ran the rest. Since then a couple of 98's, but usually low 90's. And that's OK. I usually have too much on my mind at any given time and have a hard time pushing it out. Just how I am.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

WAM SKEET wrote:
Mfm22,
I am not trying to be a smart a$$. But has your instructor, checked for gun fit, did he have you mount the gun with your eyes closed and then had you open them to see where your I was, did you or he or either one shoot the gun off of benchrest to check the point of impact, did he take you to low 7 with a full choke and have you shoot targets and get the gun shooting where you were looking, did he tell you that you needed to stand as far back on Station 1 as possible and look up as high as you can without taking your head off of the gun, does he or can he determine eye dominance not codominance. If you didn't answer yes to every one of these questions then he hasn't done his job. You will be learning how to shoot a gun that probably doesn't fit or shoots where you're looking and learning things that you will probably never be able to correct and overcome. Sorry but the truth hurts sometimes.

Allen aka WAM

There is a WEALTH of information in that statement!! :D :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Lotta good advice here. Let me add a couple of practical tips. Assuming your gun fit is correct. Assuming your stance and hold points are correct. THEN, spend a bunch of time mounting in the mirror so that your mount is now 100%. Do the flashlight (or laser better yet) drill of moving along ceiling/wall lines. These two combined make the gun a natural part of your vision. Get a snap cap and learn to shoot at things in the house (ceiling fan blades) with that slow left trigger finger. None of these cost a dime, can be done in any weather and at any time of day.

Bender's videos are good. I also like Chris Batha's on youtube. Differences between the two, but they both work well. But nothing beats time with the gun in your hand. Ever thought about getting a DryFire? I'm 100% convinced of it's worth as a trainer.

When at the range. Do station work, not rounds (assuming your club allows). Play games to enhance. Do 3X of every target (must hit before moving on). Then to add pressure add "go-backs" where you must start over on a miss. Think it doesn't work? Get to low 8 with 69 straight. Those last 6 are killers!

For the mental, there's volumes. Focus on the process, preload your brain with the things you expect for each target (tell your eyes what you expect them to see), and then press the "play" button and let everything automatically happen. It's when you try to take over and act consciously that it gets ugly and the death spiral starts.

Most of all, have fun with the game. It's just a game after all. Nobody is going to get blown up and nobody is going to shoot back.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks , glad I asked the question- got plenty of great ideas to work on

Was thinking about the Laser light - will look it up & get it. Any recommendations.

Found DVD that I bought 12 years ago ( stopped shooting right after getting ) " insight into championship Skeet". Just watched it , man does he make it look easy - really in control of gun & target.

Not sure what a "dry fire " is

Working on stations is ok at the range when it's not busy aka weekdays . Amazing how similar this game is to Golf . Visualizing your shot in golf is recommended by most PGA pros.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

WAM SKEET wrote:
did he tell you that you needed to stand as far back on Station 1 as possible and look up as high as you can without taking your head off of the gun.

Allen aka WAM

Allen,

Question..... the above got me to thinking.

I am a LH shooter and currently on station 7 stand very front LH of the slab with my toes on both feet square to the pad. Hold my gun at 3ft to the outside of the centre stake and look off the RH side of the gun to see the target run up and into the place i want to make the shot.
Would you recommend i try moving right back on the slab same as station 1 and anything else you would change?