It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new winchester super x 1
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello everyone, its been awhile since I have posted. I sold my super x-1 awhile back and regretted it but recently I traded a sig 320 for one (paid about 450 for the 320) it has a fancy wood stock and for end, full trap barrel, engraved receiver. now heres a couple extra things it appears someone has taken out the screw that holds the rib on and welded the ends (did a good job) and installed hi-viz sights. the top of the receiver is a matte blued almost like a parkerized, and it has an overtravel screw in it (1st type groved trigger group). It also has the original buffer in it but it appears to be in perfect shape. probably the cleanest gun on the inside I have gotten used. So my question is should it be O.K to fire with the original buffer? And are these features i mentioned factory? (For some pics press link below)

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/114 ... source=pwa

Post subject: Re: new winchester super x 1
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:40 am 

My suggestion to you is to go get a Wrights buffer and install it. The buffer in your gun is old and brittle and may last one box of shells or 10 if you are lucky.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:45 pm 
Utility Grade

O.K I ordered a new buffer will probably replace mag tube and spring here eventually. So is the matte blue factory? and did any super x-1's come with a overtravel screw?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:08 pm 

Don't replace the recoil spring until the gun starts throwing the empties 25 or 30 feet.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:43 am 
Limited Edition

Actually best to replace the action spring when it has collapsed to 27" or less. They are 30" new.
After that it starts to hammer the buffer really hard.
Also only use a standard action spring - NOT a HD spring.

CT

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Sorry, I cannot get your link to work for me.

Sounds like your rib has been tig welded in place and I think that's a very good idea especially if you plan to shoot your gun a whole lot.

I agree with Curly on replacing the buffer as soon as possible. Also agree with Curly about when to replace the return spring. There's really no use in doing that until your empties are thrown out like he says. The new buffers are super tough and take the pounding for many thousands of rounds....unlike the old, stock buffers that were absolute trash.

Also, unless you don't plan to ever clean your gun, you don't really need to replace the magazine tube with a stainless one (you didn't say that's what you intended to do but that's what many SX1 owners do). The stock, blued mag tube works just fine. Every few hundred rounds, when you are cleaning the gas system components, just take a Chore Boy, copper scouring pad and rub it a few times up and down the mag tube. It will take off any carbon fouling without scratching the metal.

I had and recently sold an SX1 Skeet Gun Ser#29xxxx and it had the engraved (rolled) receiver with the mat finish on the top. It was the original finish on the entire gun. My Field SX1's all have polished finishes on the top of the receiver.

The over travel screw in your trigger is definitely NOT factory as far as I know.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:32 pm 
Utility Grade

ok thanks guys, ill try and figure a way to be able to post pics overall it seems nice, I ordered a new buffer so I will go test it out next week sometime. I was thinking about replacing the magazine tube as I need to remove it to get the plug out so I may replace it more for aesthetic reasons then anything really

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Can you not remove the magazine plug from the barrel end of the mag tube? That's normally how it comes out. Shouldn't have to remove the mag tube just to get the plug out. I do get it that a change to a stainless tube is nice for esthetics. Lots of SX1 owners have done it just for that reason only.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:42 am 
Field Grade

Unless the magazine tube is so pitted as to affect function, there is no need to replace it. The tube is threaded the same on both ends, so it can be removed, reversed and reinstalled if needed. It is red loctited and screwed into the receiver and requires heat and a strap wrench for removal.

I replaced my first SX-1's mag tube with a stainless one since I convinced myself it was needed (it was not). I used a 500watt quartz halogen work light as a heat source to loosen the tube.

My second trap model has the sandblasted/parkerized/matte receiver top, this is factory done.

I bought a NIB never put together SX-1 from a hardware store in Altoona, PA around 2001. Bob Baumgart told me not to fire it until I put one of his bolt buffers in it. The original one shattered like a crayon when I tapped it out of the back of the receiver.

I shoot my SX-1s wet with FP-10 and have never had any corrosion issues on any gas system parts.

Is the over travel screw in the trigger itself or the little one inside the trigger housing near the hammer spring? I have no issues with the "Stage-1" trigger and don't feel the need to upgrade to a "Stage-3"

Have fun with your Super-X Model 1.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:27 pm 
Utility Grade

eh i may not then. but ok good to know. the action isn't quite as smooth as my old sx1 i put some oil down the return spring housing and it got rid of the creaking etc. the over-travel screw is installed directly behind the trigger on the actual trigger guard

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:17 pm 
Utility Grade

maybe this will work for pics?

cpg1410/thumbnails.php?album=lastupby&uid=188151