It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wingmaster, Express, or ?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:41 am 
Tournament Grade

I recently purchased a used 28 gauge with "Remington 870" on the receiver. There are no other designations on the receiver except for the serial number. Is this a Wingmaster, Express, or another model? The stock and forearm have nice wood and checkering. I've searched some sites that provide manufacturing data (AK on the barrel), but I can't find anything on shotguns with just "Remington 870" as the model. If you can provide more specifics, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Wingmaster, Express, or ?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:43 am 
Presentation Grade

A picture will tell in an instant.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:27 am 
Presentation Grade

Call Remington’s customer service. As one of the last menu options is an option to find out about the age of a Remington firearm. Select that one and you should be connected to a CS rep who can tell you the model and age of your 870. Have you sn from the receiver ready, you’ll need that.

I’ve called in on several shotguns. The CS rep was able to tell me the month and year the gun was built, the model, and the configuration when it left the factory. In the case of my 870 TC, the CS rep had to consult with some sort of historical record representative.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the information directing me to call Remington's customer service. I did so and learned that my 28 gauge "Remington 870" is a Wingmaster made in 2016. I shot it off of sandbags today at 30 yards and both shots of a 2 3/4" Federal one ounce load of #5 shot through an extra full choke printed about 8" to the left and slightly down. I'll try a 3/4 ounce load of #6 shot next to see where it prints. Would a change to another choke move the point of impact? I'm planning to use this shotgun on rabbits being pushed by beagles.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:56 am 
Limited Edition

TRG3 wrote:
Thanks for the information directing me to call Remington's customer service. I did so and learned that my 28 gauge "Remington 870" is a Wingmaster made in 2016. I shot it off of sandbags today at 30 yards and both shots of a 2 3/4" Federal one ounce load of #5 shot through an extra full choke printed about 8" to the left and slightly down. I'll try a 3/4 ounce load of #6 shot next to see where it prints. Would a change to another choke move the point of impact? I'm planning to use this shotgun on rabbits being pushed by beagles.

Bend the barrel to change the point of impact. You just need to adjust the barrel a "few thousands" to center POI. I have done this before with success.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Super X 1 wrote:
Bend the barrel to change the point of impact. You just need to adjust the barrel a "few thousands" to center POI. I have done this before with success.

It is called straightening the barrel. Find a tree with a good crotch in it.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

First, shoot it left handed and get a friend to shoot it. It may be fine. Ever notice that handguns with adjustable sights need to be adjusted for different shooters ? Ever wonder why ?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

At 13 yards, a 3/4 oz. load of #6 shot when aimed from my 28 gauge Remington 870 with an extra-full choke resting on a couple of sandbags, obliterated the 2" square at which I was aiming. In addition, about 50% of the shot hit evenly spaced to the left within a 6" semi-circle. No shot hit to the right. Just suppose that the problem is with the choke tube because it's not quite centered, wouldn't it be possible to rotate the choke tube a quarter of a turn and move those pellets impacting to the left to then hit either high or low? If this moves the impact problem, how then would I secure the choke in this position? Or...is there a bright-colored (flo orange?) slightly off-center bead that, when installed, would cause me to move my aim to compensate for the correction needed? Just thinking out loud...

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Why do you assume it's the choke tube ?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:19 am 
Crown Grade

Many years ago I watch a friend "straighten" a gun barrel, using a couple of bricks, a 2" x4" and his four wheel drive pickup! :idea: I leave how he did it to your imagination! :lol:
:arrow: Amazingly...................... it work??
*Not something I would have the guts to try..... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Before trying something that seemed drastic to me, like attempting to straighten the barrel, I rotated the extra-full choke tube one-quarter of a turn, using a padded pair of pliers since the choke tube is difficult to move, in an effort to relocate the shot impact from just slightly to the left to the above position. My #6 shot from a sandbag rest hit just slightly high at 25 yards and was balanced on the left and right, giving me a tight 6 o'clock hold on the target. This will keep the target (rabbit) in view rather than covering up part of it with the front sight. So...the problem appears to be fixed. Next, I'm going to install one of those snap on/magnetic florescent bright front beads like I've got on a couple of my other shotguns. Thanks for your input on this matter. Best of hunting.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Did you tighten a quarter turn or loosen ?

Either way seems odd. Being able to tighten an extended choke a quarter turn it would seem to me that it wasn't very tight to begin with. Could that have been the problem ?

Loosening a quarter turn makes me wonder what it will do when you shoot it.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

The choke that came with my recent purchase of the shotgun is made by Sumtoy and is extra full. It is so tight in the barrel that it takes a pair of padded pliers to loosen or tighten it for several revolutions. At full tightness, it shoots to the left about 6" at 25 yards. By using the padded pliers to loosed the choke (counter-clockwise) one quarter turn, it then prints just above the aiming point. To measure a quarter turn, I placed a dot on the choke immediately below the end of the raised rib. I then turned the choke counter-clockwise (loosen). The dot did not move after firing. With the stubborn tightness of the choke in the barrel, I do not think it will move; however, I will watch it just to be sure. I'll soon be purchasing a light modified choke for this shotgun which will give me a wider pattern at closer ranges. It will be interesting to see how this choke patterns and its degree of snugness in the barrel.