It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester super X game load cases
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:20 am 
Utility Grade

Recently acquired some Win Super X Game Load cartridges (code XU127) and expected the cases to be parallel walled cases. Was suprised to see that the cases seem to have a similar basewad to the AA HS case. The case body appears to be a weaker plastic than the AA HS. As these cases were loaded with the AA style wad I was wondering if anybody reloads these cases?
If so, which data do you use ?

Can wads meant for straight walled cases be used.

One round I cut open showed the AA wad to be a loose fit in the case compared to a similarly loaded AA (CF or HS) case.

Reason I ask is this ammo is new here in Australia and the locally made Winchester cartridges now use the straight walled (european style) case as reloading is not as widespead or popular as it once was when the AA CF case was the only case worth loading (and widely available) here.

Would be loading them for target use with 1 oz or less lead shot.

Post subject: Re: Winchester super X game load cases
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:05 am 
Crown Grade

I do not believe Winchester has manufactured a Polyformed Hull (a true straight-walled all the way to a flat basewad hull) in many many years in 12-gauge. I think they still do on some of the smaller gauges.

The only "restriction" on wads is "will the wider wad sit down atop the powder charge fully?"

Very often tapered hulls like the CF, the HS's "tapered" basewad, and the Remington Unibody, if you load a small volume of dense target powder charge in them, the wider "straight-walled wad" will not sit down inside that taper far enough to rest atop the powder. You get an air space, and bloopers.
If you use enough of a fluffy enough powder to completely fill the 'tapered" area, the problem goes away, thus the problem doesn't effect hunting loads normally (except when people use very light target loads for hunting).

Whether or not you can do it is going to depend entirely on the exact load you use.