It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Score! Hornady Versalite
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:01 am 
Field Grade

A few months ago I bought out the stock of a retired shooter, and got a huge amount of wads. Uniwads, Precision wads, and a few hundred Versalites. I loaded the Versalites at 1 oz in Remington hulls with 19 grains of Red Dot. Just about the time I decided I really like them, I find a batch of almost 5,000 a guy bought from an estate sale. Good price too.

This is a very good thing that may turn in to a bad thing. I may turn in to a dusty bag Versalite junkie.

Post subject: Re: Score! Hornady Versalite
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:35 am 
Limited Edition

It's stuff like that that keeps things interesting!

Years ago I was given a bunch of components from a guy getting out of the reloading game. The stuff was old, dirty, and not compatible with any of my current recipes or components but I couldn't bring myself to just throw it away. I cobbled together what I had and it yielded about two flats worth of ammo. I shot more straights on the skeet field with those two flats than I could have imagined!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:29 am 
Crown Grade

STS hunter wrote:
A few months ago I bought out the stock of a retired shooter, and got a huge amount of wads. Uniwads, Precision wads, and a few hundred Versalites. I loaded the Versalites at 1 oz in Remington hulls with 19 grains of Red Dot. Just about the time I decided I really like them, I find a batch of almost 5,000 a guy bought from an estate sale. Good price too.

This is a very good thing that may turn in to a bad thing. I may turn in to a dusty bag Versalite junkie.

I'm glad you like them. My experience with 20 gauge Versalites is that there is no worse wad available.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:37 pm 
Field Grade

Vette Jockey wrote:
I'm glad you like them. My experience with 20 gauge Versalites is that there is no worse wad available.

Is that the new versalites made by downrange you are referring to?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:40 pm 
Crown Grade

No, before Downrange.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:00 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Makes no difference before or after DR, 20ga junk, pure and simple! 12ga is a different story!

BP

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:27 am 
Tournament Grade

I would imagine if the OP is loading these ahead of 19 grains of Red Dot, they are definitely 12 gauge wads. I certainly hope so!
I have used many 12 gauge Versalite wads and had no issues with them.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:31 am 
Crown Grade

I've used 5,000 of the DRV-20s with no problems.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:16 am 
Field Grade

The old Versalite is the one wad that I had issues with the powder cup cocking during loading. Caused some blooper loads. In my limited experience with them, the legs were too soft/flexible.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I see the negative comments come up from time to time on these wads. I've no experience w/the originals, but have loaded and shot a few thousands of the DRV-20's w/zero negative experiences, none! I honestly have to wonder why my experience is so dif. from some reports stating otherwise. I have loaded the majority of them on a MEC single stage loader using Unique in older AA CF formed hulls, but some Remington Gun Clubs and premier hulls as well. I've picked up hundreds, if not a thousand of those fired wads and never seen anything that resembles a cocked wad or where the obturating skirt was torn or burned through. Just saying. At the moment I have no source for more from my normal supplier and down range didn't have any in stock either last time I checked. Have sufficient on hand to get through the year and hope supply side picks up before I run out. I quite like them!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:00 pm 

Add me to the group that agrees with the fact that those DRV-20 wads are good for nothing except being a bad example. I had a rather nice collection of pictures that I took of wads after firing and collecting that had the over powder cup skewed, not skewed but with the seal blown out or both.
I agree that some guns seem to get along fine with them. None of the 20's that I have seen locally seem to have that luck. I bought a case of 10 bags and sold 9 bags back to Gamaliel.
They are probably the worst reloading product that I have ever seen since 1966 when I started.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:53 am 
Tournament Grade

No question that experiences w/the DRV-20's have varied greatly!! Probably moot in any case as the OP is loading the 12's. NBD to me; there are plenty of other 20 ga. wads available that are uncontroversial. I'll continue to load what I have until they are gone & if none are available at that time I'll go to another wad. Quite honestly it makes me wonder if there were two configurations of those wads made. We do know there have been some positive changes made to some other wads over time that were less than satisfactory in their initial form.

FWIW, I experienced some wad failures a while back where the 'roof' of the over-powder portion of the wad blew out allowing gas into the 'cushion' area, due IMHO, to insufficient thickness. They were foreign 12ga. wads. Seller took care of it and to my knowledge, those particular wads w/that issue are no longer on the market.

Not questioning your or others' experiences w/the DRV-20's in the least. I saw those pics of the failed wads back when they were posted; its what got me to picking up fired ones to see if mine were doing that. None that I could find appeared to be. Only stating that my experience has been different [as in okay] w/that particular wad. I'm not championing them, just saying is all.