It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 16 GA. ON WILD PHEASANTS
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:03 am 
Presentation Grade

Anyone use the 16ga. on wild pheasants in places like S.D., N.D., Kansas? If so, what loads & chokes do you use, especially in an O/U or SxS? Is it enough gun or is a 12ga. better?

Post subject: Re: 16 GA. ON WILD PHEASANTS
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:13 am 
Crown Grade

My friend had a 3" 16 SxS custom built, along with 3" brass hulls specifically for this scenario. I do not believe he has used them on birds yet, but they are impressive.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:26 am 
Diamond Grade

Of course....KS and Iowa.
The shotgun action makes no difference whatsoever.

1 1/8-5s as a standard with the choke modified tho IC is swell if at pointing dog distances.
I have tripped some 1 1/4-4s at January tough, windy weather birds but suspect the 1 1/8 are enough, odds on.

6s will work.....not much won’t if one knows when to shoot and...most importantly, when not to shoot.
The gauge or shell or load or choke is simply never the issue...the shooter is.
So, there is nothing wrong with the 12 gauge either.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:18 pm 
Field Grade

I use a 16 ga exclusively for KS upland. As for choke, it’s wildly over-thought, especially in KS where a mixed bag is pretty common, but outdoor writers need to have article to recycle once a season or so...

My O/U is Mod/full, that’s what I carry in primarily pheasant country or cover. The gun I hunt with most in mixed bag cover has a fixed skeet 2 choke. Sometimes I’ll load quail loads in the chamber and pheasant loads further up the magazine. Sometimes I don’t bother and just hunt all 6s. I usually switch to 4s late season for pheasant. I hunt flushing dogs.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

Over the years I have used a 16 Ga SxS on wild pheasant in ND. SD. MT and WY behind both pointing and flushing dogs. The gun has 2 triggers and is choked Imp. Cyl. & Mod. I shoot 1 oz. of #6 shot in the open barrel and 1 1/8 oz. of #5 1/2 shot in the mod barrel.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:14 am 
Presentation Grade

I grew up in central Illinois back when we had a lot of pheasants. I used a 16 gauge Model 12 with full choke and 1oz or 1,1/8oz #6 or 5. Never felt under gunned.
Also had a friend who used a Model 42 .410 and he hardly ever missed what he shot at. Like Multiflora said “know when to shoot and when NOT to shoot.
I think your 16ga. will be just fine.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:09 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

870-LEFTY wrote:
Is it enough gun or is a 12ga. better?

Both 20 gauges and 12 gauges are better.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:17 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
870-LEFTY wrote:

Both 20 gauges and 12 gauges are better.

Maybe. But it’s certainly enough gun.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:51 pm 
Crown Grade

A 16 gauge would be fine for all reasonable shots. It will not be as effective as a 3 1\2" 12 gauge for a person who shoots at birds flushing in the next county. #5 shot is my personal favorite for pheasants regardless of the gauge of the gun. Some 16 gauges carry like 20's and hit like 12's, but other carry like 12's and hit like 20's. The former is nice and the latter is a terrible gun. Best choke will vary, but modified is usable much of the time.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:54 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Oldfarmer wrote:
A 16 gauge would be fine for all reasonable shots.

Not for me it isn't, not remotely close.

1-1/4 oz. of buffered #5 is my version of "fine," whatever that is supposed to mean. That's standard fare out of a 20 gauge or 12 gauge, but unobtainium in 16 gauges.

With steel or no-tox, the 16 gauge drops from wonderfully adequate to weak, and it isn't getting any better. That's why most major shotgun manufacturers can't be so much as bothered to make any 16 gauge. It is a whole bunch of what no one wants, and less actually buy.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:00 am 
Diamond Grade

I shot wild pheasant with a pair of 20 Ga. BSS's for over 30 years. The BSS's were choked Imp. Cyl & mod and Mod and full and depending on whether I was behind a pointing dog or a flushing dog one of those guns did the job.
Both guns have 3" chambers, but my pattern board helped me to settle in on 1 oz. and 1 1/8 loads. I never felt the need for a 3" load. I really enjoyed my BSS's, not only while hunting pheasant, but all upland birds.
Regardless of gauge, an ounce of shot is an ounce of shot providing the shot size is appropriate and the pattern is adequate.

In 2006 I was handed a SxS and it was a wow moment. What a Wonderfull handling gun and I knew that I had to have it. I discovered that the gun was the dreaded 16 Ga. and asked the clerk if he had a 20. He did and there was no comparison, so I bought the 16.
I discovered 16 Ga. ammo is limited and didn't think much of it as I reload.
I discovered RMC brass hulls and my reloads in all gauges have improved beyond anything that I could have imagined.
I could go on about the qualities of my now favorite shotgun, which is a 16 Ga. #2 AyA that is configured with a straight stock, splinter fore end and double triggers, but I believe that it is the gun/gauge that makes the difference and I have arrived.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:50 am 
Presentation Grade

I will be using a Browning Citori 16ga. I hunt with a large group and we use a combination of flushers and pointers. I am wondering if I should use I.C. & Mod. chokes or L.M. & I.M. I will be using 1oz.-1&1/8 oz. of 6's in the more open barrel and 1&1/8 oz. of 5's or maybe 4's in the tighter barrel. What say you?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

I haven't owned a 16ga since I was a kid. But 1 1/8oz of 5's is what I used for pheasants and ducks in the pre-steel days. My trusty Stevens 311 was choked IC and Mod. These days I might lean to LM with the improvements to wads.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

Oldfarmer wrote:
A 16 gauge would be fine for all reasonable shots.....

Absolutely true....everywhere but on a shotgun message board. :lol:

Misses and woundings occur with all gauge and choke and scattergun choices because each of those fall behind the importance of the shooter and their decisions to shoot, or not.

Don’t be fooled by any new next-best, must-have “buy me” toots....or good ahead and try ‘em, they will also work fine, given a good decision to trigger.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
A 16 gauge would be fine for all reasonable shots.....

Absolutely......

If I only hunted birds, I'd want a 16 on a 20 frame and a 28; one for large birds, one for small birds.

I wonder if there would be a market for a 3-barrel set SxS -
16 ga., 20 ga,, and 28 ga. all on a 20 ga receiver........................

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

A 16/20 set on a 20ga frame would be awesome. A 28 on a 20ga frame is not. Either the barrels will be too thick and heavy being fitted to that 20ga frame, or the fore end is going to end up feeling like a 4x4 fence post.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Not for me it isn't, not remotely close.

1-1/4 oz. of buffered #5 is my version of "fine," whatever that is supposed to mean. That's standard fare out of a 20 gauge or 12 gauge, but unobtainium in 16 gauges.

Then 2oz of #5s would be better......no? Nonsense!

A 16 ga is fine and has killed many pheasants, ask me how I know.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:55 pm 
Crown Grade

I just realized that I have been shooting pheasants, wild and preserve, for over 55 years. Shot them with a twenty then a twelve and now a sixteen.
If you put the shot swarm on them you get a dead bird. Now academically the sixteen with factory ammo may lack the ability to kill deader than dead but I have yet to have a bird complain about being killed by a sixteen.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:17 pm 
Crown Grade

An extra 19 pellets in that extra 1/8 ounce of shot. That's the difference between an ounce and 1/8 and an ounce and a 1/4 load. I can't see that as a huge difference. I find the 157 pellets in my one ounce load to put meat on the table, when I do my part. I wouldn't carry my 28 if I shot over some wild a$$ pointers, or if the wind was whistling at 40 knots, but I don't hunt under those conditions much anymore. For many years I hunted pheasants almost exclusively with a .410, but that was in the days of fence rows, and 40 to 80 acre fields. Birds held tight and 2 shots put 2 roosters on the table. Those conditions aren't the norm today, but there is still no reason to shoot at birds beyond your reasonable range. I just don't see that a 16 gauge is a terrible choice, if a person can normally hit what he shoots at.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:13 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Oldfarmer wrote:
An extra 19 pellets in that extra 1/8 ounce of shot. That's the difference between an ounce and 1/8 and an ounce and a 1/4 load. I can't see that as a huge difference.

Not necessarily: it is 29 - 30 pellets with #6 shot, 21 or so with #5 shot, and antimony content of the shot can make the difference even greater.

Moreover, 1-5/16 oz. 20 gauge loads are available, as are 1-3/8 oz. 20 gauge loads and even 1-1/2 oz. 20 gauge loads.

Look at any 50 yard pattern with #5 shot and try to find the 20 or 30 pellets that you don't think you need. Yet another problem is shell quality itself. Just where can you get 1-1/4 oz. buffered #5 loads in 16 gauge?

Some of today's 20 gauge loads produce unbelievable patterns compared to the old notion of “20 gauge.” For example, the Federal 1-5/16 oz. three inch 20 gauge load of #5 shot puts many, many generic 12 gauge pheasant loads to shame on the patterning board. The same is true of Federal's 1-1/2 oz. Heavyweight #7 shot turkey load; it takes the 20 gauge to a whole new level. Even the lighter payload (now discontinued) 20 ga. 1-1/8 oz. Winchester HD #5 loads are more than needed to quickly dispatch a turkey at 40 yards, much less a pheasant.

The snarky comments about trying to talk to dead pheasants is nonsensical. Lots of things have been used and are used, but that hardly makes them ideal. You have about a 20% larger effective spread with 20 gauge 1-5/16 oz. buffered loads than you can get out of a 16 gauge.

Few mainstream manufacturers bother with a 16 gauge, due to public demand or lack thereof. There is nothing to suggest that a 16 gauge "doesn't work" . . . that can be said about a 28 gauge just as easily. It isn't the best choice today, not remotely close. It is hardly just about the size of the exit hole in a piece of pipe, it is hull capacity and quality of ammunition: precisely what the 16 gauge lacks.

Quote:
870-LEFTY wrote:

Of course a 12 gauge can be better.