It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester AA orange tracker #8
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:52 am 
Field Grade

On clearance at $5 per box at Walmart. It’s a steal. For some reason folks at another clays forum did not seem too excited they were just bashing premise of Shells and they could not use in tournaments.

1 1/8 oz hard shot, Winchester hulls....how often do you see that for 5 bucks?

I cleaned out 3 Walmart’s in my area and picked up 3 flats

Post subject: Re: Winchester AA orange tracker #8
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:43 pm 
Field Grade

I bought a whole bunch too. Good plinking and practice ammo. Good for reloading fodder as well. I like to reload them for game loads a lot.

At $5 a box they’re cheaper than the bulk pack field loads.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

If you can stand the recoil, that's a good buy.

I tried a box or two to use for training as to see where my misses were. Even with a spotter buddy, they did not work well enough for that purpose to suit me. I don't recall the fps, but I do recall thinking "wow...some stiff recoil".

That said, I am extremely recoil sensitive so I won't be running out to get any of these. I did buy up some of the Gold Medals when Wal-Mart was closing them out but was relatively late to the party and only scored a few boxes. Those were worth it just for the hulls. I'd buy all of those I could find at close out prices, but I think Wal-Mart has long since depleted their inventory of them.

Nice find for you since you like the Trackers!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've got 3 or 4 boxes gathering dust I'll make you a deal on if you get to SoKal.

And why couldn't you use them in a tournament?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:00 pm 
Field Grade

The trap guys said it constitutes a “tracer”round.
I will use for practice. 1145 FPS is not bad for 100 round sporting clays. I typically shoot 1200 FPS

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:15 pm 
Field Grade

Even if you can’t use them in a tournament, they’re great shells to practice with. They’re also great reloading fodder.

I’ve met guys who do that. They shoot and reload one color shells for actual events. Then they buy and shoot different color options for practice and reload for hunting.

The orange shells are great to reload for game because they’re easy to find in the field. They’re very bright orange! Red and yellow are good too but there is a reason we use orange as a safety color!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:22 am 
Diamond Grade

As I recall the ones I tried were 1200 or maybe even 1235-1250 fps? Too stiff for me, as I normally shoot 7/8 oz. at 1225.

Still a bargain though at that price if you like them, no matter the intended use. I too liked having a few different colored hulls for odd load reloads and I did just that although those were the only WWAAHS hulls I ever bothered loading. I have plenty of the old compression hulls instead.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Don't forget, since they are AA shells I think they qualify
for the Winchester rebate going on now.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

dcr5468 wrote:
The trap guys said it constitutes a “tracer”round.

Ah, now that you 'splained it to me, I understand. :lol: :lol:

I got them and tried them after they first came out but felt they were counter productive. One winds up looking for the wad rather than staying focused on the target. Not good. Plus with my old eyes, I couldn't see the wad any easier than when I notice one from a regular shell and at the range the break point is on most of the targets at our club, the shot cloud and any wad have long since gone their separate ways by the time the shot gets to the target.

So bottom line for me, they're an expensive idea that doesn't help determine anything useful and may actually help promote bad habits.