It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anybody tried Carlson's Extended Turkey (.640) for handicap?
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:56 am 
Field Grade

I recently joined a trap club and have been honing my skills at the 16-yard line. I've been shooting #8's through a Carlson's extended IM choke and doing pretty well. In the last couple of weeks, I started testing my skills at further distances. I'm doing ok and feel like I'm figuring out the aim points to connect when the targets get further out there. Then I stepped into the Annie Oakley's game the club's regulars play all the time, and I'm hooked! I got my butt kicked but it's such a fun way to shoot, so I'm planning on doing more of it.

That said, I'm very green to this game and need to get my arms around the "tricks of the trade". One thought I had was to shoot my normal IM at the closer distances and when it's my turn to shoot first, but switch to the other barrel with a tighter choke when trying to knock guys out if they miss their shots. After doing some research, I was thinking about trying Carlson's Extended Turkey (.640) choke tube for the tighter option. Carlson's even sells it as the best choice for "card shooters" and I'm thinking the same could be said for my situation.

Has anybody tried this choke in their CZ? Any other advice for a newbie in the world of Annie Oakley games?

Post subject: Re: Anybody tried Carlson's Extended Turkey (.640) for handi
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:06 am 
Crown Grade

I've got a couple of turkey chokes, but never considered trying to hit a moving clay target using one. Even channeling my best George Digwood, I think that would be futile. I think I would do some 40+ yard patterning with Full chokes from various makers to find the biggest pattern with no clay sized holes in it. If you go the turkey choke route, first off, you're a much better man than me, secondly, let us know how it works out.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:16 pm 
Field Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
If you go the turkey choke route, first off, you're a much better man than me, secondly, let us know how it works out.
Haha :lol: Fair enough, thanks @Riflemeister. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by superbeau on Thu May 24, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:18 am 
Diamond Grade

If you are shooting from the 16 yard line, .640 will be way too tight even for the shots where they miss first and you try to hit their miss. From the 16 yard line, I would take Riflemeister's advice and make the second barrel just a standard full choke. Now, if you were doing an Annie Oakley from the 27 yard line, I would step up to a turkey choke for hitting the other guy's miss but still wouldn't go as tight as .640. Somewhere in the .665 - .685 range would be sufficient. Full is .695 and .685 is extra full. I honestly wouldn't go any tighter than .675 for moving targets. Those .640 chokes are for shooting a stationary card at a known distance where you want as many pellets to impact the card near the center as possible. That doesn't necessarily translate to a nice evenly distributed pattern like you would want to use to hit a moving clay with.

Also, I would probably move up to #7 1/2 shot for that second shot and for any longer distances.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:48 pm 
Field Grade

double20 wrote:
Also, I would probably move up to #7 1/2 shot for that second shot and for any longer distances.
Good point, @double20 - I will definitely bump the shot size up a notch for longer ranges. I also agree that the turkey choke is overkill for the 16-yard line, even on the misses. I ordered one of these tubes and will give it a try tomorrow just for fun. We'll see how she performs... should be a good experiment!

Last edited by superbeau on Thu May 24, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:38 am 
Field Grade

Ok, I know folks are going to want to call BS on this, but I received my .640 turkey choke and took it to shoot trap last night. I shot four rounds altogether, trying to keep things the same as normal so I could isolate the choke tube as the "only" variable:

1) 16y + IM + #8 = 20 hits [benchmark]
2) 16y + TKY + #8 = 19 hits
3) 16y + TKY + #7.5 = 18 hits
4) 21y + TKY + #7.5 = 21 hits

At first I honestly couldn't tell the difference from the 16-yard line. The hard-angle shots were definitely tougher to connect on, but everything else felt the same shooting the TKY choke versus my normal IM choke. Both chokes are Carlson's extended sporting clays variety; I shot the IM on top (as usual) and the TKY on bottom.

When I shot the last round at 21-yards, I noticed a big difference. I wasn't chipping any birds, they were getting crushed, which was pretty cool. I didn't change anything about what I was doing compared to the 16-yard line; I tried to keep everything exactly the same. I ran out of time before I could get back to the 27-yard line, but I will try to test that out with the TKY choke next week.

I'd love to see other guys take their turkey chokes to the trap field and see what happens. The difference might not be as noticeable as we all (myself included) anticipated!

Last edited by superbeau on Thu May 24, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:43 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

superbeau wrote:
I was thinking about trying Carlson's Extended Turkey (.640) choke tube for the tighter option. Carlson's even sells it as the best choice for "card shooters" and I'm thinking the same could be said for my situation.

That's not legal in several card shooting categories, so it that is an odd thing to say. https://www.turkeyshoot.net/rules.htm

Have fun, but you are wasting your time (as I did).

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:52 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Have fun, but you are wasting your time (as I did).
I'm confused, @RandyWakeman. What are you referring to here?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:25 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The patterning board will show you that .040 inch constriction is ideal for 27 yards and beyond, race games (slider, killer, even killer pieces). Beyond that, use the heaviest payload and the hardest shot.

http://randywakeman.com