It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Gold Gas Piston Differences and why?
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:09 am 
Field Grade

I have several Silvers, Golds and X2's and they all have the piston on the right in both my 3" and 3.5" guns. but I just purchased a camo Browning gold hunter that is in new / unfired condition and it has the piston on the left. I have never seen the left piston in a gun before so I am asking what the difference is? Is this a special light load piston? Thanks

https://photos.app.goo.gl/z1bx8JzT58cMef1m1

Last edited by waterfowlhunter on Fri May 18, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Browning Gold Gas Piston Differences and why?
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

3" or 3 1/2" gun, if it is a 3 1/2" gun it is probably made after '99 when they were trying to correct the feed issues of the early 3 1/2" versions

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:36 pm 
Limited Edition

I think there was 4 or 5 different active valves for the Gold. Probably that many different gas port sizes also. Give Browning/Winchester parts a call. They have always been very helpful when I've called them. There are good schematics for all the guns you mentioned on the Browning/Winchester parts site.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:37 pm 
Field Grade

3" gun, my SX2's are 3.5" and they have the one pictured on the Right like my other 3" golds and silvers.

Last edited by waterfowlhunter on Sat May 19, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:59 pm 

Try to see if you can buy the spring that goes inside before yours breaks!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

waterfowlhunter wrote:
3" gun, my SX2's are 3.5" and they have the one pictured on the left like my other 3" golds and silvers.

You said just the opposite in your OP, that "I have several Silvers, Golds and X2's and they all have the piston on the right in both my 3" and 3.5" guns."

My 3½" SX2 and two 3" SX2s all have the piston that is shown on the right in your picture.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:50 pm 
Field Grade

Typo. All of mine look like the right as stated originally