It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 930 Sporting Review
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:07 am 
Utility Grade

I am going to attempt a long term review like CDB did for his CZ Canvasback of my Mossberg 930 Pro Series Sporting.
In the interest of full disclosure I ordered this particular gun for my lgs. I received the gun pretty quickly. When I went in to do paperwork and take it home I noticed a crack on the top of the stock right behind the tang safety...damn. FedEx strikes again. We called Mossberg to see what we could do. They said send it in, we will fix you up. 2 weeks later it shows back up with a note. "We upgraded the wood to deluxe for your trouble", great customer service. Wood lottery was hit, as it looks great. Very happy. When I figure out how to post pictures I will.
Fit- The gun fits me like a glove, did some eyes closed mounts and my eye lined right up every time. Very comfortable feel to stock and fore end, the stippling on the gun felt very positive with a nice grip to it. I haven't needed to mess with the shims as it patterned right on for me side to side with approximately a 50/50 up down distribution. Note: I shoot of the left side and it's about as good a fit for me as anything I have shot.
Shooting impressions- I took the gun to Cardinal Center first trip out for some skeet. Recoil was low, it has a steady feel swinging it. I hadn't shot skeet in over 25 years and the scores I shot were NOT reflective of the guns capabilities. 200 rounds down range that day. The next weekend I shot it scores came up, another 200 out of it. No issues, hang ups, ftf, or fte. The following two weekends went just as well with 400 total more round fired. Still no issues. This past weekend we went to Blackwing and shot their sporting clays course. Not even a hint of an issue, 200 more down. shot close to 80 percent.
Cleaning- I found it very easy and intuitive to clean, the coatings on the internals and magazine tube do as advertised.
Final impressions- It is a solid shotgun, I know the 1000 round count isn't that much so far but a turd usually shows its turdiness for me in the first 1000. Overall extremely pleased, I ordered another for back up/maybe set it up to shoot higher for trap. I am going out today for more sporting and will keep you posted.
Thanks for listening, Troy

Last edited by WildT62 on Sun May 20, 2018 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 930 Sporting Review
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Another 100 today before the rain hit. No issues to report. Well, other than my shooting. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:52 pm 
Utility Grade

Shoot another 150 today between skeet and 5 stand. The gun functioned perfectly. Met some good people at Blackwing. Signed up for a sporting league and the 12 ga event at the June 30th skeet shoot there. Up to 1250 through it, no apparent wear and tear.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:01 am 
Tournament Grade

Glad you’re enjoying it. I had a synthetic 930 for waterfowl/clays I bought used and it never skipped a beat. The furniture on yours looks great.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:23 am 
Tournament Grade

Congrats on your new mossy. Very nice looking gun. I had a walnut stocked field version with a 28" barrel. I enjoyed shooting it very much. Have fun.

Regards,
Joe

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks guys, I think this thing will run good for quite a while. The soft recoil is pretty sweet. I am thinking about tinkering with a little rise in the comb, maybe with the 1/8" spacer. I will keep you posted.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

I am considering purchasing one of these for my son for next summer since he isn't quite big enough to handle a 30" barrelled 12ga this year. I will be following this thread. I bought the 930 Walnut field model when they first came out, and have not had one issue in over 30k rounds. I shoot it as well as my Browning Gold sporting as a clays gun. I've been wanting to put my hands on one to get a feel for the slimmer stock on the sporting model.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:13 am 
Utility Grade

It feels good for sure. Everyone I have let try it has shot it well.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, another 250 through it, some skeet practice and a round of sporting clays. Hit 82 of 100, best round since my return to shooting. Gun ran flawless as usual. If it hadn't been so darn hot and humid I would still be at the range. Ran some Nitro 27 8s today and it really seemed to like them, not much more in the way of felt recoil. Our sporting league starts next week and I am feeling good about the gun and my shooting.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Oh, and that's 1500 through it now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:43 pm 
Utility Grade

I haven't posted in a while, nothing unusual to report. Round count is 2505 now, still purring right along. :)