It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Retay arms?
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:53 pm 
Field Grade

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the Retay arms shotguns, I know some people are saying they are better than Benellis for half the price but has anyone else handled them. I am a little apprehensive of a new gun on the market from a company who was making pellet rifles and blank guns.

Post subject: Re: Retay arms?
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Other than reviews and several comments here by Randy Wakeman, I can't recall comments from anybody else that has actually owned, shot or tested one. But that is just off the top of my head. There may well be many other sources about them.

That said, if I were in the market for a inertia gun I would certainly look at one of these before deciding on other similar guns. From what I've seen, the company certainly has posted well intended customer service information with a helpful attitude.

I have other shotgun "needs" to address right now so I'm not in the market for a 12 ga. inertia gun. But I do look forward to at least handling and hopefully shooting a Retay sometime. I've filed the information I've seen about them in the back of my mind for one of those "impulse moments" just in case! The wood, fit and finish, and reviews sure seem positive. But I've only seen photos. Nothing in person yet.

I'd be interested in a 20 ga. but I don't think they make one.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:50 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:06 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:

I had just watched that video before I made this post. My wife currently has a Franchi affinity catalyst that has been a super little gun and because of how clean it stays i'm interested in the Retay but it's tough to drop a grand on something I can't handle.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:35 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

You can handle them at Retay dealers. The respective dealers set the price, of course, but they run about $700 - $900, contingent on model.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:47 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
You can handle them at Retay dealers. The respective dealers set the price, of course, but they run about $700 - $900, contingent on model.

Their dealer search on their website doesn't work for me. I've asked a couple dealers around here and nobody has ever heard of them or seen them. You seem to have more first hand knowledge and experience with them than anyone besides the importer.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:57 pm 
Field Grade

I do look forward to seeing and hopefully handling one at a local deal in the near future. I have been tempted to bid on the ones on gun broker but I'm going to wait until their are a few more first hand reviews.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just shooting to POA would give them a big advantage over you-know-who. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:34 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I've tested three different Masai Mara models, one was the first ever into the United States. This shotgun was (at least) three years in development, for I was contacted by Retay about 4 years ago when the gun was still being finalized.

The original Masai Mara's were quite good, based on the machined quick release trigger group (not plastic), gorgeous walnut, excellent recoil pad, and so forth. They had essentially the same Bruno Civolani action that most inertia guns have.

For 2018, Retay announced that all Masai Mara shotguns would be shipped with their "Inertia Plus Action," which means no 'Benelli Click." I put the Inertia Plus action into the original Masai Mara that I had and also the "Satin" model, which has a Cerakote receiver. It works like a charm: no possibility of a "Benelli Click," easy-loading so no Benelli thumb, either. Ejection is very strong and positive with 1180 fps 1 oz. loads, better than many inertia guns.

The 5 year warranty is by Briley, and Trulock should have extended chokes available later on this summer. No 20 gauge is available yet, no 3-1/2 inch model is available yet, but both are in the works.

Retay Arms exhibited at the SHOT Show, the IWA Show in Germany, and at the NRA Show in Dallas. Larger quantities of the Masai Mara arrived in the United States just recently. As far as dealers, I have no way of knowing exactly who, but many dealers and buying groups have already signed up. NBS is comprised of over 350 independent retail Members representing over 1,200 store fronts across the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico and they have access to the Retay Arms line right now.

What every dealer does is up to them, but I suspect that many have scheduled orders arriving in late July so they are set for the hunting seasons. That's a common approach.

There are several different configurations. I like the Bronze Pure, as the Bronze Cerakote sets off the high grade wood nicely. Barrel lengths are 24, 26, 28, and 30 inch. I personally prefer the 26 inch and will test a 26 inch Masai Mara as soon as I can get my hands on one, and a 24 inch barrel as well. A 24 inch barrel with a Trulock extended choke nets essentially a 25 inch barrel, and that should be ideal for pheasants and other flushing game.

If you know which model you want, Chris Handy, chris@thomasferney.com , will do his best to get one to you or refer you to the closest dealer in the area.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:44 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the input Randy, Im not sure which model I would like. I really want to lay my hands on one before I make up my mind.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:25 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Everybody wants to handle guns, but few people want to buy guns that other people have handled. I guess that's where handling marks come from? :lol:

All of the guns sold on Gunbroker aren't handled or seen by the new owners, until they actually buy them. That's one of the challenges of the small independent pro shop: lot's of people come in, ask a hundred questions, fiddle with guns, scratch them up . . . then run right out the door and buy them from the cheapest price they can find on the internet somewhere.

That's what makes it tough to be a family-owned gun shop. A lot of folks want to play with new inventory, often more than have any intention of buying.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:39 pm 
Field Grade

That is the plight of the American market and I'll unfortunately admit to being guilty of it. I've been burned a couple times with gunbroker purchases, the last one being a Pointer Clays O/U that I knew might be a turd but I rolled the dice anyway. As I get older I'm getting more cautious buying things sight unseen and making sure they kind of fit me.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:22 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Well, Masai Mara models (they are now 15 or so) have been sold in the U.S. since last November. Larger quantities are a fairy new thing, for Retay USA has just recently brought in a couple of large shipments. As far as I know, they are busy filling backorders right now.

With this number of model variations, it is hard to say what will be the most popular. That's something that will be revealed in due course. I certainly know what I like, it is polished blue and oiled walnut, but others like different things.

I should be reviewing a Masai Mara 26 inch "Bronze Pure" Inertia Plus within a week or two. As for 20 gauge and 12 gauge 3-1/2 inch models, I have no idea how far along that process is.

Retay dealers that placed stock orders are getting all those shotguns right about now. Distribution is not part of my lane, I just the product like everything else.

They are the best-looking, best built, and best performing 3 inch inertia guns I've used in years. Anyone will likely come to the same conclusion after some trigger time with them.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:48 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Well, Masai Mara models (they are now 15 or so) have been sold in the U.S. since last November. Larger quantities are a fairy new thing, for Retay USA has just recently brought in a couple of large shipments. As far as I know, they are busy filling backorders right now.

With this number of model variations, it is hard to say what will be the most popular. That's something that will be revealed in due course. I certainly know what I like, it is polished blue and oiled walnut, but others like different things.

I should be reviewing a Masai Mara 26 inch "Bronze Pure" Inertia Plus within a week or two. As for 20 gauge and 12 gauge 3-1/2 inch models, I have no idea how far along that process is.

Retay dealers that placed stock orders are getting all those shotguns right about now. Distribution is not part of my lane, I just the product like everything else.

They are the best-looking, best built, and best performing 3 inch inertia guns I've used in years. Anyone will likely come to the same conclusion after some trigger time with them.

They advertise on you website!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:36 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

That's a goofy observation. Most all websites have advertising, including CNN / CBS / Fox News ... and this one. Where have you been? Google advertises on my website as well, so does Cabelas, does that mean something in particular to you? What manufacturer does not advertise, the ones that are out of business? What print publications do not have advertising as well? What are billboards for? Ever watch television?

Rumor has it that even the Super Bowl has ads.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:03 am 
Field Grade

I "had" to buy my wife a Beretta so I will be holding off a while on the Retay. Randy, thank you for all the information.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:46 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
That's a goofy observation. Most all websites have advertising, including CNN / CBS / Fox News ... and this one. Where have you been? Google advertises on my website as well, so does Cabelas, does that mean something in particular to you? What manufacturer does not advertise, the ones that are out of business? What print publications do not have advertising as well? What are billboards for? Ever watch television?

Rumor has it that even the Super Bowl has ads.

Don’t bite the hand that feeds you! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:55 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Look both ways before you cross the street and please do not text while shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:50 am 
Field Grade

I think he is referring to the fact that you give such a glowing review to a shotgun who's importer/manufacturer (whatever they are) has a sponsor link on your website. Unless someone is a dunderhead, that is immediate cause for a more critical eye being cast on the review. You may be right, it might be the best 3" inertia ever built (probably not, but that's another discussion).....you may also be a little more likely to overlook an issue or two since they are one of your sponsors. Certainly that isn't difficult to figure out?

Here's a site that give fishing reel reviews that are probably not biased....At least no outward sponsors anyway.

http://www.alanhawk.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:42 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

elvez wrote:
I think he is referring to the fact that you give such a glowing review to a shotgun who's importer/manufacturer (whatever they are)

If they didn't have quality product, they wouldn't be allowed to have a banner on my website. Check them out for yourself.