It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Double release issue
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi
I have a double release trigger in my Kolar and every so often when I release on the first shot during doubles, I release and try to reset the second trigger but the trigger mechanism hasn’t sequenced across to the second hammer and I’m unable to pull and the set the second trigger and end up having to release the trigger and reset it then release it to make it fire by which time the second target is gone or I just get lucky and hit it. Does anyone have any experience of this ?

Post subject: Re: Double release issue
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Are you sure you are releasing the trigger fully after the first shot and not trying to set the trigger to quickly?

Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:35 am 
Tournament Grade

Yes That’s what I think I’m doing but the whole trigger setting is such a subconscious process. I guess I just have to make a conscious effort to release the first trigger fully. Won’t be easy.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:55 pm 
Field Grade

Suggest you contact Keith Sprangers at Kolar. He can answer your question in a heart beat and if there's a problem he will fix it. Sometimes it's the trigger and sometimes it's the operator. My experience with double release is that it's faster than pull triggers. Keith might be able to shorten travel if your not releasing before you reset, but talk to him as that's the only place you will get good advice and your issue resolved. Good Luck!!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank you very much really appreciated !

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Westwind,

Is this your first double release trigger gun? If not, then did you have a similar problem with your previous gun(s)?

My guess is that it's operator error. There MIGHT be some internal adjustment that could be made that would reduce the likelihood of this happening, but I doubt it.

I've been shooting a double release O/U for about 14 years and never had this happen. In fact, I don't even recall hearing of this happening, and I've been pretty active on this site for quite awhile.

You might let another shooter who is familiar with double release triggers give it a try... if you can find one. :D But my advice is to stick with the gun for a while longer and try to make it a deliberate move to fully release the trigger before trying to pull it again.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:49 am 
Utility Grade

WestWind: I have the same problem and it is not, repeat not operator error. In my case, it only happens once every two or three hundred rounds and I can usually repeat the bird due to a gun malfunction. Let me know if you find a solution. Thanx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:35 am 
Limited Edition

Sounds similar to an issue I had with pull triggers. But given the difference I cant be sure. I was suggested this was operator error as well so I did several rounds of clays purposefully pulling my finger away and off the trigger. This had never happened on any other gun. The problem continued so I sent it in. A quick adjustment by Kolar and we are good to go. So I would say do some work to ensure it’s not you - just one outing usually. And then give Kolar a call.

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:05 pm 
Field Grade

You're trigger group has the high speed disconnector in it. Release pull should work just fine. I'm sending mine up to Kolar to have them swap that part out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Westwind,

Is this your first double release trigger gun? If not, then did you have a similar problem with your previous gun(s)?

My guess is that it's operator error. There MIGHT be some internal adjustment that could be made that would reduce the likelihood of this happening, but I doubt it.

I've been shooting a double release O/U for about 14 years and never had this happen. In fact, I don't even recall hearing of this happening, and I've been pretty active on this site for quite awhile.

You might let another shooter who is familiar with double release triggers give it a try... if you can find one. :D But my advice is to stick with the gun for a while longer and try to make it a deliberate move to fully release the trigger before trying to pull it again.

Yes it is my first double release. I started with release pull but went to double release.
Sometimes I get a fan fire which is equally confusing. I try and dry fire the gun but I can never replicate the issues.
That’s good advice to hand the gun to someone else who shoots a double release. I know of one person.
I have no real intention on changing the gun as I really love it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

roamlog33 wrote:
WestWind: I have the same problem and it is not, repeat not operator error. In my case, it only happens once every two or three hundred rounds and I can usually repeat the bird due to a gun malfunction. Let me know if you find a solution. Thanx

Thanks for your input as it does give me hope it’ll get fixed. It doesn’t happen often but just recently it cost me a 100 in the 28 gauge so I’m keen on getting it fixed!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Also thank you for all your inputs very much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Westwind,

There may be some mechanical adjustment that can be made to the gun that will cure your problem, but I have a feeling that you will be able to cure it on your own in a relatively short time.

I didn't know that you had previously shot a release/pull trigger. About 90% of the time, the reason a person switches from a release/pull to a release/release is because they flinch on the pull of the second trigger. If that's why you switched, then it's my opinion that you are still flinching sometimes when you try to set (pull) the trigger for the second barrel.

Flinching manifests itself in a variety of ways, and one of those common ways is a shooter THINKS he pulled the trigger, but in reality he didn't. I had that problem myself. That's why I switched to release triggers. I went straight from pull triggers to double release and had no problem because I knew that the gun was NEVER going to go off when I PULLED the trigger. It was only going to go off when I released the trigger.

You, on the other hand, have had to deal with the gun SOMETIMES going off when the trigger is pulled and sometimes going off when the trigger is released. So, you haven't completely got your mind to grasp the fact that the gun only goes off when the trigger is released. Consequently, you sometimes still flinch when it comes to pulling/setting the second trigger. However, I'm optimistic that in time you will convince your subconscious that the gun won't go off on the pull of the trigger and the problem will then be cured.

As I suggested above, find an experienced release/release shooter who has no problems setting the triggers and let him shoot your gun for awhile. This will tell you whether you need to send the gun off for work or whether you just need a little more time to get used to double release triggers.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.