It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aiming above the target
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:18 pm 
Utility Grade

I started shooting trap with my son over the weekend. I have a Berretta Silver Pigeon sporting with the 32” barrels. I am a lefty and it is cast for a lefty, that being said I am a giant 6’6 450 pounds and long arms, 38” sleeves. Saturday on my first round I shot a 7, on the second round I started aiming above the target and shot a 16. Should I have to aim above the target to hit it or is there a problem with the fit of a off the rack gun and a decidedly not of the rack ol boy?

Post subject: Re: Aiming above the target
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

It really depends on timing as to where the point of aim is in trap with a flat rib. If you are engaging the bird early it is still rising and the point of aim is most definitely above the target.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Andy,

At your height and weight, you did well to hit any targets.

Unless you have changed the stock dimensions on your gun, it "fits" you very poorly. Gun fir describes how well a gun's stock dimensions match the size and shape of the shooter and how they affect the shooting posture the shooter must use when shooting. (More later.)

You learned that you cannot shoot "at" targets but rather, you must shoot ahead and/or above them to break them. IN other words, you must lead them.

You must shoot at the place that the target will be when the shot pattern arrives. That is above the target on a straightaway target and a little above as well as ahead of angling targets.

The easiest way to take care of shooting above them without having to cover targets with the barrel, is to raise the comb on your stock. This can be done with Moleskin or a commercial comb raising kit of some sort.

That works because it raises your eye relative to the gun's rib. With a shotgun, the shooter's eye serves the same purpose as the back sight on a rifle and, like raising the back sight on a rifle, it will make a shotgun shoot higher, which is necessary to break rising trap targets.

The other raging misfit of your stock is the reason that you have to lean your neck forward and lower your cheek down to the comb when you shoot. This is necessary because of the length of you neck that accompanies your height. You are taller than shotguns were designed to fit.

What you stock needs to allow you to shoot with your head and neck in a more natural posture is a unit called a pad or stock adjuster. These units allow the whole recoil pad to be lowered and by so doing, allow your head to be in a more naturally erect posture.

Something that will aid in achieving the goal of a normal head and neck posture, is raising your gun mount so as much as an inch of the recoil pad is extending above your collarbone. It is not likely to completely solve your head/neck posture problem but it will help.

It would be better if you did not aim at targets. Rather, you should "point" your gun at them. This makes little sense until you know where your gun shoots without the need to aim it.

To find that out, mount your gun with the top of the recoil pad about an inch above your collarbone. When the gun is mounted, notice how much rib surface you see (if any), with your cheek making snug contact with the comb. Hopefully, the flesh covering your cheekbone will allow it to "hang" on the comb of the stock and offer a secure and stable cheek/eye relationship with the rib during swings.

If you see no rib surface with the gun mounted, you will need to raise the comb with some sort of pad (Moleskin or?). Use enough that you see a little rib surface.

Raising your eye relative to the rib will allow you to fire when the front bead is a little under the rising targets and provide the vertical lead that is necessary to break them.

On angling targets shoot ahead of them without glancing back at the barrel or front bead. Look and focus ONLY at the targets. You should see the front bead on your rib ONLY in your peripheral vision. Never let your vision glance back at the rib or front bead.

If you even glance at the front bead during a swing, the swing will slow and you will shoot behind the target. That is the price for glancing back at the front bead during a swing. It will always happen.

If you can, shoot with both eyes open. It will help break the habit of aiming your gun like a rifle. You will improve more quickly once you stop aiming at targets.

If you cannot shot with both eyes open, simply focus on the target. With practice, you will learn how much lateral lead is required to break the various angling targets form the different stations.

Try placing your feet so a line across your toes, standing normally, is parallel with a line down station 5 from the 16 yard position to the 27 yard position. This is a good introductory shooting stance.

Use this stance on all five stations. You should be able to rotate your body at the waist and hips and swing to all extreme angles from each of the five shooting positions or stations on the trap field.

To begin, point your gun a little under the front center of the trap house roof. You can change this gun hold as you gain experience but this is a good place to start.

Have fun.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:39 am 
Crown Grade

It's simple. You have an SP-1, which is comes in two distinct models - a field model, easily told as it has only one bead and the safety is automatic (returns to safe when the gun is opened), etc. It also comes in a sporting model (Two beads, one halfway down the barrel, palm swell, etc.). But BOTH of these models are not trap guns. Mine shoot approx. 50/50 patterns or 55/45 patterns, and both models are great for skeet and sporting clays targets, or field shooting at game where rapidly rising targets are not a constant.

As trap targets are normally always rising targets, trap guns are designed to shoot 60/40 or 70/30 patterns, which takes care of the "foreward allowance" upward, and the shooter just has to worry about holding in front of the target. And that's why trap shooters generally use a gun specifically designated as a trap gun.

And that's exactly WHY you did better when you "held high"!

Last edited by BobK on Thu May 31, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:29 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the advise. I am going to keep plugging away and see if I can get it dialed in. It was fun for sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:56 am 
Utility Grade

I do thing adjusting the LOP would make the gun more comfortable to shoot.