It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:10 am
Posts: 515
Location: Charlotte, NC
I recently had a very nice Series 3 SX-1 for sale..uncut brand new NOS field stock with new Kickeez pad, new buffer, action spring, stainless magwell, Briley Thin Walls in 28" bbl. Good pics. Strong bluing, etc...all good. Asked $900. Not a single inquiry after 250 views. Maybe the 28" bbl was an issue? Or have SX-1's lost their appeal? These are fine guns..I am surprised that there was not any interest at all. Thoughts? :?:




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:15 pm 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:37 pm
Posts: 891
Location: Colonie, NY
Time marches on..........doesn't appeal to many "young guns"

_________________
NRA Life Member since 1968

"a man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:08 am
Posts: 1246
Location: sussex wi
how much of that sx1 was actually factory original...the only one willing to pay big money for one lately are collectors.....and they don't want a Frankenstein gun.....

_________________
gunut


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:20 am 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:10 am
Posts: 515
Location: Charlotte, NC
Frankenstein Gun? Hummm...well I don't really consider the SX-1 to be a collector's item, but a great shooter. As for factory original, the stock set is Winchester factory original (NOS), but the buffer is not (thankfully), and the stainless magazine is a very desirable replacement for a 40 year old gun. As I said, its a shooter, and at $900, what is the competition? Used 1100? Anyway, I think the appeal of the SX-1 has waned in the past year or two, which is too bad, as this is a good shooting & very reliable gun, as the semi-automatic replacement for the Model 12. Oh well, back to the safe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:01 pm
Posts: 5953
The competition for me would be a new Fabarm, Beretta or Browning semi in the configuration I wanted it in. I would pay the difference.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:21 pm
Posts: 6551
Location: Oregon
I have a collection of 6 SX1s in most of the configurations, but they are all fixed choke guns, and I shoot them. I paid $350-$400 range for them. I think you are upside down in what you have invested in yours, and probably won't get much interest at that price point. They are nice old guns.

_________________
Mark (oregunner) See the bird, shoot the bird!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:54 pm
Posts: 8228
Location: Kansas
If it were a Trap or Skeet gun with fancy wood, then your price would be in the ball park. I never even look twice at one with a field stock. Original unmolested guns always bring more

_________________
"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:39 am 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:26 pm
Posts: 118
I have had this discussion with many folks over the last 18 months. I offer my observation / opinion to your question.

• Overall, prices for older firearms are dropping slightly.
• With some exceptions, the prices on Premium grades, rare, limited editions, or NIB (NOS) and unfired, are either holding their own or continuing to increase in value providing they are not altered or modified. Collectors will pay collector prices for these firearms.
• Old guys are getting older (not a quote from Yogi Berra) and some very good classic and collectable firearms are hitting the market. (have you noticed how many Winchester 21s are for sale on the different web sites?)
• Youngsters are more enamored with modern black or camo plastic. Most of the youngsters don't give hoot about a hand rubbed oil finish on crotch feather walnut. Maybe from a reliability and maintenance perspective they are on to something..... Who knows?????
• You can embellish a firearm with aftermarket accessories, sights (optics), engraving, chokes, stocks, stock adjustments, combs, recoil pads, nickel plating, etc… However, you do this for your gratification only. Do not expect to recover your expenses for these modifications on the re-sale of the firearm. Many modifications will actually reduce the value of the factory configured firearm.

Regarding the SX-1
Did you notice the prices realized at the recent Poulin May auction? Unboxed SX-1s were going for about $750. or less. Boxed for $1000. Astonishingly, the unboxed and undocumented Pigeon went for $3100 and the unboxed, undocumented Super Pigeon went for $4700! Imagine what the Pigeon and Super Pigeon would have brought if boxed, unfired, and documented with the Winchester factory Bruno Pardee signed letters!

For the shooter or a collector who wants to shoot and enjoy a SX-1, you offer a nice firearm.

I believe there are 4 boxed Super X-1s on GB today for about $1000. each. In today’s market with a lot of quality firearms available, I can tell you it is a great time to be a buyer or collector.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:03 pm
Posts: 2988
Location: Mid-Missouri
Another opportunity to present my theory of little boys and the toys they couldn't afford . . .

THINGs make an impression on young boys. Some boys are impressed by cars. Others are smitten with guns. A few boys are taken in by guitars. Whatever it is, they can't afford these THINGs when they're young boys but they don't forget. For years, the THING that dad or granddad owned or the thing they marveled at in the magazines and in movies holds their imagination. At some point boys grow up, get jobs, raise families and eventually reach a point in their life when they have a little extra money to piss away. What do they buy? Sure, some buy the latest, greatest thing, but many seek out the THING that captured them oh so many years ago.

Two things to note about this phenomenon . . .
1.) There is a relatively narrow window of time in which young boys now grown spend money on THINGS. Maybe 10-20 years. They buy pretty hot and heavy through these years but as they get older, and retirement looms, they slow down. They down size. They are satisfied with what they have.
2.) The allure of THINGS is generational. Young boys of one generation do not treasure the same items as young boys of a previous generation or of the generation that follows. Boys who grew up in the late 1950s and early 60s long for a '57 Chevy. Boys who grew up in the 60s and 70s must have a muscle car. A child of the '80s wants the car that Burt Reynolds wooed Sally Fields in. The 80s boy couldn't care less about the '57 Chevy.

The upshot of all this is that if you want to sell a certain collectible/older THING you better find somebody who first experienced that thing while his hormones were raging. If you wait until the right age boy grows beyond his prime buying years, you don't have much chance of making the sale.

The boys who love Super X Ones are old now. They're at the end of their splurging years. Those that do buy are super selective. Soon there won't be many left who even remember this gun, much less long for one. It's a story that we've seen with the Model 12 and the A5. No surprise, really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:54 pm
Posts: 8228
Location: Kansas
I believe that there will always be a market for bonafied collectibles. As an example, collectible dealers with whom I associate tell me that they are shipping a lot of fine collectibles out of the country and that trend seems to be increasing. I’ve even known some young folks enamored with blued steel and highly figured walnut. Check out what some guns are bringing at high end auctions. It’s unbelievable.

_________________
"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:16 pm 
Limited Edition

Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:06 am
Posts: 387
Location: Delmarva Eastern Shore
Super Exstasy wrote:
I have had this discussion with many folks over the last 18 months. I offer my observation / opinion to your question.

• Overall, prices for older firearms are dropping slightly.
• With some exceptions, the prices on Premium grades, rare, limited editions, or NIB (NOS) and unfired, are either holding their own or continuing to increase in value providing they are not altered or modified. Collectors will pay collector prices for these firearms.
• Old guys are getting older (not a quote from Yogi Berra) and some very good classic and collectable firearms are hitting the market. (have you noticed how many Winchester 21s are for sale on the different web sites?)
• Youngsters are more enamored with modern black or camo plastic. Most of the youngsters don't give hoot about a hand rubbed oil finish on crotch feather walnut. Maybe from a reliability and maintenance perspective they are on to something..... Who knows?????
• You can embellish a firearm with aftermarket accessories, sights (optics), engraving, chokes, stocks, stock adjustments, combs, recoil pads, nickel plating, etc… However, you do this for your gratification only. Do not expect to recover your expenses for these modifications on the re-sale of the firearm. Many modifications will actually reduce the value of the factory configured firearm.

Regarding the SX-1
Did you notice the prices realized at the recent Poulin May auction? Unboxed SX-1s were going for about $750. or less. Boxed for $1000. Astonishingly, the unboxed and undocumented Pigeon went for $3100 and the unboxed, undocumented Super Pigeon went for $4700! Imagine what the Pigeon and Super Pigeon would have brought if boxed, unfired, and documented with the Winchester factory Bruno Pardee signed letters!

For the shooter or a collector who wants to shoot and enjoy a SX-1, you offer a nice firearm.

I believe there are 4 boxed Super X-1s on GB today for about $1000. each. In today’s market with a lot of quality firearms available, I can tell you it is a great time to be a buyer or collector.



We started to see the market change 2003-2005 then the housing crisis sealed the deal prices were not coming back anytime soon and now next generation of baby boomers unloading collections as family doesn't have an interest in guns or shooting. We starting to see more and more collectable classics showing up @ auctions and gun shops. Some gun shops turning away these classics as no interests or prices just way out of line for the next generation following us. I think it will be some time before Desert Storm generation falls in love with Baby Boomers classics.

Here's an example, Just recently, a older champion skeet shooter reached out to me to sell his last skeet gun! Its a Browning Midas grade 4 barrel set, signed, some aftermarket work of course, 15 1/2 LOP and ported barrels! Told him thanks for thinking of me but no thanks, gun FMV thousands less than he thinks it worth and he should have sold back in the 90's. This is prime example older classic skeet guns days have faded away as you can buy a K-80 for the same market value.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:54 pm
Posts: 8228
Location: Kansas
And any skeet gun today with less than a 28” barrel is radioactive

_________________
"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:20 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:56 am
Posts: 8439
Location: Maryland
Super-X, are you saying Ivan offered you his Midas Browning? Tell me more. By the way, you should inform "superexstasy" that those Pigeon Grade Super-X guns are provenanced by their serial numbers, not by letters from Bruno Pardee. I purposely stayed away from that auction, fearing I would be tempted by all that gold.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:03 pm
Posts: 2988
Location: Mid-Missouri
Super-X wrote:

Here's an example, Just recently, a older champion skeet shooter reached out to me to sell his last skeet gun! Its a Browning Midas grade 4 barrel set, signed, some aftermarket work of course, 15 1/2 LOP and ported barrels! Told him thanks for thinking of me but no thanks, gun FMV thousands less than he thinks it worth and he should have sold back in the 90's. This is prime example older classic skeet guns days have faded away as you can buy a K-80 for the same market value.


In my pawnshop I often run into people who fail to factor in the alternatives. A potential buyer has lots of options. One man's old collectible may be cool, but the guy who wants a gun to use/shoot is going to look around and see what else his money would buy. Today's shopper looks at that collectible priced, fixed choke, no-steel A5 Browning sitting next to a modern Benelli and decides his money is better spent on the new gun. Maybe not the best example, but . . .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:26 pm
Posts: 118
[quote="lowgun"]By the way, you should inform "superexstasy" that those Pigeon Grade Super-X guns are provenanced by their serial numbers, not by letters from Bruno Pardee.[/quote]

:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:23 am 
Limited Edition

Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:06 am
Posts: 387
Location: Delmarva Eastern Shore
Quote:
lowgun wrote:
Super-X, are you saying Ivan offered you his Midas Browning? Tell me more. By the way, you should inform "superexstasy" that those Pigeon Grade Super-X guns are provenanced by their serial numbers, not by letters from Bruno Pardee. I purposely stayed away from that auction, fearing I would be tempted by all that gold.


I guess the 15 1/2 LOP gave it away :!: His wife knows me through the owner of the farm in Chestertown, MD. They sent me pictures, I doubt you would even want to mess with that skeet gun, call me if you like, I'll give the scoop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:56 am
Posts: 8439
Location: Maryland
PM me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:49 pm
Posts: 1675
Location: St. Louis, MO
I just sold a nice SX-1 with a full choke barrel for $395 on gunbroker. They are good guns, but it is expensive to add custom choke tubes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:01 pm
Posts: 170
Location: Sacramento,Ca
No it's not. You can get Briley thin walls for under $300 installed and that gets you 3 chokes. You gave away a great gun.

_________________
Harv


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SX-1 Values Declining?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:00 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:18 am
Posts: 86
Location: Ohio
gold40 wrote:
I just sold a nice SX-1 with a full choke barrel for $395 on gunbroker. They are good guns, but it is expensive to add custom choke tubes.



I had Ed Wegrzynek of Wolf Creek Guns in Grove City, PA install Colonial Tru-Chokes in a 26" barrel that had a stuck choke tube. I bought the barrel cheap from Bob Baumgart. Cost was around $100.00 with 3 tubes. He cut off the section of barrel with the stuck tube.


Ed died as a result burns on his upper body when his clothing caught fire heat treating some parts. Was an old school tool and die maker that also did gunsmithing.




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: 5 Stand Dan, 525S, 686LHinNC, 737Mech, andyinlz, apexclays, B-Shooter, Basstar, belleriver, Bing [Bot], BMPregler, Bob*N, clarion, CWoodsy, dcblvsh2, dfw_bill, drawdc, DrtRdr, duckqwacker, fullgallon, gberinger, Glenn Kelley, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, HeneryHawk, hes, idsktshtr, Irish Red & White, jer901, kelias3479, Keperkey, KickEez, KRIEGHOFFK80, Kyler Hamann, laxcoach, Lucky4miles, Majestic-12 [Bot], Major146, Mallards Only, maltzahn, martw, mtm2525, mudpack, Mule Driver, mykal19, Northern Skies, northerndoc, ohio mike, Oldman1949, oneounceload, painter*, PKW-Indiana, pletchj, randyflycaster, razir66, Riflemeister, robbov, roller, Scardog7, smokeball, snooky, Snotrub, stevehaun, SunINmyEyes, superskeet, SuperXOne, Swapfoot, sx870, Thumper68, Tijeras_Slim, toknee, TOM-M, trdjohn, Tvbh40a, wyobirds


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
© 2017 Carbon Media Group Outdoors    - DMCA Notice