It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Brownign A5 3.5in Max5: opinions, thoughts ... etc
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:21 pm 
Utility Grade

I just found a great deal on a Browning A5 in Max5 camo, and Browning is offering a $100 rebate on new purchased autoloaders. I had handled a few at a couple of shops in the area that I live, but they were mainly the wood stocked versions.

I went ahead and purchased the gun and it should arrive in the next few days. I will follow up on this post as soon as I get my hands on it. In the meantime I would welcome any impressions from any A5 owners out there.

Post subject: Re: New Brownign A5 3.5in Max5: opinions, thoughts ... etc
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:46 pm 
Utility Grade

I received the new gun at the end of last week and over the weekend I was able break it down, clean it, lube and get out to the trap range. I shot 3 rounds of trap yesterday afternoon, and with the box setup for shim, cast, ect... I was shooting 20 out of 25 clays/round. I will say after 75 shells I could definitely feel my shoulder. I really liked the sight plain with the humpback and I could definitely feel the 30in barrel.
I thought the fit and finish was very good with no noticeable streaks in the camouflage. I also really liked the duratouch on the front and butt stock. With it being an inertia gun I thought the breakdown was pretty quick.
I am going to try and get out this weekend and see how the A5 does with different loads as the only shells I was able to use were 1 1/8oz target field loads without any malfunctions.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:09 pm 
Limited Edition

The a5 is a nice handling gun and points well or did for me . I just didn't care for the recoil compared to my maxus . so I traded it for a second maxus in the hunter version . my only other advice is do not get oil ( natural or synthetic ) on the dura touch stock finish it will cause it to soften and get gummy .

Citori 725 Sporting
Citori 725 field 20ga
1100 Rem 20 ga Std Wgt
BPS Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:43 am 
Crown Grade

missouri_son wrote:
I received the new gun at the end of last week and over the weekend I was able break it down, clean it, lube and get out to the trap range. I shot 3 rounds of trap yesterday afternoon, and with the box setup for shim, cast, ect... I was shooting 20 out of 25 clays/round. I will say after 75 shells I could definitely feel my shoulder. I really liked the sight plain with the humpback and I could definitely feel the 30in barrel.
I thought the fit and finish was very good with no noticeable streaks in the camouflage. I also really liked the duratouch on the front and butt stock. With it being an inertia gun I thought the breakdown was pretty quick.
I am going to try and get out this weekend and see how the A5 does with different loads as the only shells I was able to use were 1 1/8oz target field loads without any malfunctions.

Wait till you shoot 3.5” shells. Ouch. :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Wait till you shoot 3.5” shells. Ouch. :evil:[/quote]

I am little interested in what that experience is going to be like. I will let you know once I feel brave enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:00 am 
Tournament Grade

They are pretty good guns but they can be a little hit or miss. It’s a luck of the draw kind of thing. If you get a good one, you will be well served. The 3.5s tend to vary in that some will cycle anything you put in it while others will require you to shoot a fairly hot 1 1/8 oz load to cycle and this doesn’t change after break in. 3.5” loads in them can kick a little bit. One of the first 3.5s I sold was to a friend of mine for his son. I had ordered two of the 3.5s and 2 3” guns. The 3” never gave any problems. The 3.5 that went to the friend had to be one of the best guns ever built. That kid abused the thing but it kept on shooting. It finally quit and they brought it to me to fix. The recoil spring tube had water in it and was heavily pitted, the spring rusty, the rib was bent in several places, and the rest was filthy. I put a new tube and spring in it, cleaned it up, and he’s still shooting it. The other 3.5 in that we ordered has been a lemon. These two guns were only a few numbers apart in serial number. The guns that won’t cycle seem to be difficult for folks to diagnose and fix. But if you get a good one, it should serve you well. The one thing I don’t care for on these guns is the cartridge drop lever. It seems out of place and kind of cheap. But I haven’t seen one break. The last 3.5 I sold had some minor issues with the shell latch catching shells coming out of the magazine. But that’s been straightened out. Please understand that I’m not bashing here, but giving my 2 cents after having sold a few to customers, observed them on the range, and worked on them. The 3.5” not cycling light loads tends to be a problem across the board to some extent, not just a Browning problem but happens with every brand.