It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broken 686 forend
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi guys so the forend of my 686 has split down the grain and it’s out of warranty. I’m looking for recommendations for a place to get one cheap and if I actually have to have it tuned to the gun? I’m not really looking forward to shipping it to Coles or somewhere for a few weeks plus a 400 or 500 dollar fix by the time I pay shipping tuning and new wood piece. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Broken 686 forend
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:18 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Ask around locally, some one may be able to glue/epoxy the forearm back together.

Buying a replacement will not require any work to fit if you get the one that matches your barrel, Mobil or Optima.

NRA Life
NSCA Life + Level 1 Instructor
ATA Annual

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:22 am 
Utility Grade

I was told you have to have them tuned to the gun if this isn’t true it will be a lot easier and cheaper. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I had a small split in my forend and I glued it back together with Titebond glue and some clamps. I do a lot of woodworking so it was no big deal for me. I can not imagine a split that could not be fixed that way. I would certainly try to get the original fixed even if eventually I wanted a new one. There are gunsmiths on this site that can probably fix it. Post a picture.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Talk to Doug Carpenter. He does very good work and will not break the bank. I built stocks for over 20 years and never heard of "tuning" a forearm. You may be talking about fitting the wood to the forearm metal and to barrel and that is just the normal process of building the forearm. The important part that you need to know is to talk to Doug.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good advice from Customstox. Doug Carpenter fixed the crack in the forend of my Ithaca-SKB 600 and did a crackerjack job for a very reasonable fee. Here's the before and the after:

The crack is now just barely visible and has not re-opened. Doug epoxied it and then glass bedded the forend iron. Here's a link to his website:

http://www.ccgunstocks.com/contactus.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I actually got the glue from a box of Crackerjacks! Lol

Thanks for the kind words fellas. :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dcblvsh2 wrote:
I actually got the glue from a box of Crackerjacks! Lol

Thanks for the kind words fellas. :)

That must be why the gun smells so good now! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:19 pm 
Utility Grade

I went ahead and used epoxy very carefully on it. Shot 200 this past weekend and so far so good. We will see how it holds up long term

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ChrisRR wrote:
I went ahead and used epoxy very carefully on it. Shot 200 this past weekend and so far so good. We will see how it holds up long term

Congrats on Getting it done!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bill M. wrote:
I had a small split in my forend and I glued it back together with Titebond glue and some clamps. I do a lot of woodworking so it was no big deal for me. I can not imagine a split that could not be fixed that way. I would certainly try to get the original fixed even if eventually I wanted a new one. There are gunsmiths on this site that can probably fix it. Post a picture.

Agree, and plan B would be Coles.