It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lion kills biker
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

On May 19, two mountain bikers were attacked by a mature mountain lion in the foothills east of Seattle, Wash. One was killed and the other had major lacerations on his scalp and face.

https://www.nrahlf.org/articles/2018/5/ ... ton-state/

They come near to town often. They sometimes have eaten dogs. People have had encounters with them that were less than friendly. One resident found one on his patio. Another resident was chased back in the house when trying to get in his car one morning.

When camping with the kids and grandkids I have always tried to keep close track of them because of the cats, bears, and now, wolves.

One time I was fishing in a remote spot, in Yellowstone, late in the fall, and there was some snow on the ground. My wife got bored with the fishing and decided to wade across the river and take pictures. I could see her crawling along opposite me, across the river, taking pictures down on the ground. Then she went out of sight in the brush. After awhile I got a little concerned about her, that being bear country. I waded across the river to check on her and when I picked up her tracks in the snow, superimposed on her tracks were cat tracks the size of a dinner plate. Fortunately, the cat turned and attacked me and my wife was uninjured. I died from the attack.

Just kidding.
Evidently the cat didn’t like me tracking it, and it veered off right before I reached my wife. It was a little scary for awhile.

Post subject: Re: Lion kills biker
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:38 pm 
Crown Grade

The state suggestions for dealing with a lion leaves out the most logical and likely most effective means. Use a weapon preferably .38 caliber or larger.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:04 pm 
Field Grade

I wonder how easy they are to kill, and what a 9mm loaded with 147 gr. JHP would do to them.

I live in an area where we have no bears but the cats are becoming more common. I rarely carry a heavy revolver but almost always have my 9mm.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:21 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm rooting for the cats.........

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:26 pm 
Crown Grade

HenryVac wrote:
I wonder how easy they are to kill, and what a 9mm loaded with 147 gr. JHP would do to them.

I live in an area where we have no bears but the cats are becoming more common. I rarely carry a heavy revolver but almost always have my 9mm.

When friends hunted them in NV, IF you could catch up to one and tree it, a 38 will do the job

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Kinda funny how mountain lion cubs have such sad and innocent looking faces, but the adult ones always look so ticked off and angry.

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
MAGA = Morons Are Governing America
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:57 am 
Crown Grade

We have bikers who insist on riding on hilly, crooked roads where they can't be seen. These lions would help clean up road kill in this case. And if they took one from the pavement instead of the ditch once in a while...

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:54 am 
Crown Grade

Maser wrote:
Kinda funny how mountain lion cubs have such sad and innocent looking faces, but the adult ones always look so ticked off and angry.

Just like women, delightful when young, but by middle age ...

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:04 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:

I am too unless they are coming after me. :lol: Reportedly cougars don’t eat carrion or roadkill. They typically only eat what they kill. I know they can be very much a pest to ranchers and such but I think they are beautiful animals. It’s a shame that any have to be destroyed due to human encroachment but they seem to be thriving nonetheless.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Rudolph31 wrote:
Maser wrote:

Just like women, delightful when young, but by middle age ...

I feel that’s a very accurate assessment but isn’t the term “cougar” used to describe an attractive and “accommodating” older woman?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:39 pm 
Crown Grade

duckqwacker wrote:
oneounceload wrote:

I am too unless they are coming after me. :lol: Reportedly cougars don’t eat carrion or roadkill. They typically only eat what they kill. I know they can be very much a pest to ranchers and such but I think they are beautiful animals. It’s a shame that any have to be destroyed due to human encroachment but they seem to be thriving nonetheless.

There have been attacks in the Sierras near Tahoe where they go after cross-country skiers. They always seem to attack from above and behind.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

I can tell you, from trying to photograph mountain lions; they are tough to see, but that doesn’t mean they don’t see you. I have a few pictures but they were taken under usual circumstances. They are hunted with dogs.

It seems that it is rare for people who are never around mountain lions to be attacked by them. That also seems to be true of bear attacks and wolf attacks.The people who are attacked feel a lot better when they learn how rare it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America

Check out this dog. It looks like a sure case of post traumatic stress disorder. The owner said the dog hid under the bed after the attack.

http://www.codyenterprise.com/news/local/article_041c88be-9e43-11e7-82d1-67885cf24fb7.html

A chain saw is a fairly good defensive weapon against a mountain lion, but is awkward to carry. I prefer a gun easy to carry and you don’t have to worry about gas.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=8118412&page=1