It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 11-87 not cycling??
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:51 am 
Tournament Grade

Like title says. But, it’s not anything any of you are going to suggest. I figured it out I just don’t know how to fix. My issue is one of the gas orifices under the gas cylinder spring. The head of these orifices are usually domed up kinda like a rivet head (I’m assuming this is how it makes a gold seal against the spring. One of the gas orifices on my barrel is missing this domed head. It’s allowing just enough gas to be bled off and not cycle the gun. I don’t know if it was drilled out or fell out? Not even sure if it can be removed. The gun will cycle 3” but won’t cycle 2-3/4 of any kind. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: 11-87 not cycling??
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:08 pm 
Crown Grade

I’d call Remington for advice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

I did. Those people couldn’t find their @$$ with both hands. I fixed it myself. I epoxied in a 1/8” stainless rivet head. Then drilled it to match the other gas orifice. Looks factory other than being stainless. Will be testing it shortly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

And once the epoxy gets hot from shooting it will fall off. Remington would probably have given you a new barrel.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

With the spring over it it will probably be fine and outlive us all. I applaud your ingenuity. Running across someone who knows how to properly inflate a tire these days is getting rare.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:05 am 
Presentation Grade

Let us know when it falls off , by the way I am more than adept enough to fix things. Bashing Remington as if they didn't know anything shows a lack of character, maybe ask for another person to talk to?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:09 am 
Tournament Grade

chairman wrote:
Let us know when it falls off , by the way I am more than adept enough to fix things. Bashing Remington as if they didn't know anything shows a lack of character, maybe ask for another person to talk to?

JB weld doesn’t usually fall off from getting hot. But if it does, you’ll be the first to know. Maybe you can even help me come up with another solution. I’ll bash Remington all day long and not give two $hits about it brother. I know more about the 1100/11-87 shotguns and their quirks than anyone currently employed at Remington.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:12 am 
Tournament Grade

Virginian wrote:
With the spring over it it will probably be fine and outlive us all. I applaud your ingenuity. Running across someone who knows how to properly inflate a tire these days is getting rare.

Thanks Virginian. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sure your cool

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:08 pm 
Field Grade

chairman wrote:
Sure your cool

like "jb weld's warranty" :wink: )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

skeetsit wrote:
chairman wrote:
Sure your cool

If you can come up with a better fix I'm all ears. You won't find one. Know why? There is no fix. "you need a new barrel" is what your going to hear from Remington and all their authorized repair centers across the country. I'm not spending $350 on a new barrel. This barrel dates 1988. The early barrels had pressed rivet heads into the gas orifices under the gas collar spring. If you examine a new barrel you'll clearly see how they got away from these rivet heads. Problems with them maybe? Try explaining that to Remington or any repair centers. Might as well be speaking Chinese. So my fix (other than welding the rivet in place) is as good as it's going to get.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:26 am 
Field Grade

Quailbuster wrote:
skeetsit wrote:
chairman wrote:
Sure your cool

If you can come up with a better fix I'm all ears. You won't find one. Know why? There is no fix. "you need a new barrel" is what your going to hear from Remington and all their authorized repair centers across the country. I'm not spending $350 on a new barrel. This barrel dates 1988. The early barrels had pressed rivet heads into the gas orifices under the gas collar spring. If you examine a new barrel you'll clearly see how they got away from these rivet heads. Problems with them maybe? Try explaining that to Remington or any repair centers. Might as well be speaking Chinese. So my fix (other than welding the rivet in place) is as good as it's going to get.

I agree with your suggestion of "welding the rivet in place" as being the better fix. very likely better than factory original. {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quail buster have you given it a try since you did the modification ? If so how many rounds from it ? Seems like a good fix to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

la angler wrote:
Quail buster have you given it a try since you did the modification ? If so how many rounds from it ? Seems like a good fix to me.

Not yet. Should have an answer for y’all next Saturday hopefully.