It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New member, new CZ/Huglu Redhead Premier.
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:14 am 
Utility Grade

New member here!

I just bought into the CZ/Huglu family with a CZ Redhead Premier in 20ga with 28" barrels. I was actually shopping for this gun for about a year. I'm new to Huglu but not to CZ, and with CZ nice walnut makes all the difference. So I watched and I waited and I finally jumped on a NIB gunbroker item out of Idaho. It arrived in less than two days and I couldn't be happier. The stocks are even prettier in person and the gun just points so naturally. I'm taking it out for a few rounds of trap next Saturday morning. Hopefully this helps me out a bit. Apart from just really liking the aesthetics of the Redhead Premier, the driving force for me to upgrade was how poorly I shot with my 1939 Winchester model 12 in 12ga. The LOP always felt too long due to how far forward the forearm was and I've developed a flinch from the stiff recoil and hard plastic buttpad. It's a shotgun I still love but I'm very happy to be retiring it. It was a project that I picked up for $250 back when I worked weekends as a gunsmith at a local store. My shooting buddy typically shoots a 23/25 with his grandfather's 1961 model 12. I typically shoot 15/25. So there we go. I'm really looking forward to breaking more clays. Between the lighter gun, smaller gauge, and comfy recoil pad I'm confident I can up my game. I'm not too worried about the CZ/Huglu reputation for spotty reliability. It seems like they're getting it more and more nailed down every year and I have confidence in this new line. Firing pin replacement sounds relatively easy if it ever comes to that. My oil of choice for the last few years has been MPro-7 but it sounds like grease is preferable for use in double guns. Does anyone have a favorite grease to recommend? Thanks! -NWFRS

Post subject: Re: New member, new CZ/Huglu Redhead Premier.
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:05 am 
Field Grade

Welcome to SGW and the Huglu family!
I have a Redhead in 28 gauge...can't really recommend a grease at this point; other more experienced owners may chime in.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:56 am 
Field Grade

Welcome to the Huglu forum. I bought my 12 ga. Redhead Premier Target a couple of years ago and have a few thousand rounds through it with zero problems. The wood is as good as anything on the rack. I did replace the pad with a kick eez. Enjoy!

20 GA CZ-USA Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is no magic grease. Any grease is better than no grease. I have a tube of wheel bearing grease, that I have put into old pill bottles, and it will last my lifetime.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey thanks guys! It's good to hear some firsthand accounts of trouble-free Redhead Premier ownership. I've been infatuated with this model for a while. It just took some time to find exactly the right one. I know 20ga wasn't the logical choice for a dedicated trap gun, but I felt as though I needed to retrain myself and make it fun again. I think I may have an easier time focusing on aiming fundamentals if I'm not dreading the recoil. I'm also pretty excited about tailoring my chokes, and being capable of quicker follow-up shots. Does anyone have any experience with a product called Frog Lube? A buddy mailed me some a few years ago but I've never used it. It looks as though it might be an appropriate grease. He swore by it. Maybe I'll just try some of that. Thanks! -NWFRS

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:50 pm 
Field Grade

Hey all I just bought a Redhead Premiere in 28 gauge. So far the trigger pull is very heavy (heavier than the gun. Trigger wont break when held upside down by the trigger) and it is making a loud metallic ping sound when fired. I have contacted CZ to see what they can do for both issues. Btw, I know some people say a "field" or "hunting" gun should have a heavier trigger than a target gun but this trigger is really heavy. Anybody else having any on these issues?

Other than that I really like the shotgun. The fit and finish is very good and the balance and weight seem pretty good too. I'm hoping that CZ fix up those two issues and then I will have a pretty great shotgun that should last me a very long time.

In terms of grease, I use the same thing that is recommended for my Beretta over and under: white lithium grease. I think I bought a tube for about $7 from my local ACE hardware and expect that it will last for quite some time.

DHB66 - I'm considering putting a kick-eez on the 28g. Where you worried about changing the LOP on yours since the kick-eez are about a half inch longer than the pad on the CZ?

In terms of the 20g for trap - there is nothing wrong with a 20g for trap and skeet. I shoot light 7/8oz loads in my 12g all the time and break them just fine. My 28g only uses 3/4oz and breaks them too so 20g is a great choice. Enjoy your new shotgun!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:42 pm 
Field Grade

metrout - I had to have the stock cut at the same time I added the pad. The gun fits me better at 14" LOP. I use Super Lube a synthetic grease on all my guns. A tube lasts years.

20 GA CZ-USA Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Success!!! Well, I shot two rounds of trap on Saturday morning and everything worked exactly as expected. About seventy shells in total. No problems. Recoil was extremely mild. By the second round I was shooting better than I ever did with the old 1939 model 12. I cleaned the gun prior to use with MPro7 and greased it with some old stuff called "Slick 50 One Grease". Operation smoothed out with use. I shot Fiocchi target loads with 7.5 oz shot. Barrel cleanup was a bear and seemed to take forever. I scrubbed out the barrels with Hoppe's No.9 bore cleaner. I brushed out all the old grease with Break Free CLP and re-greased with Tetra Grease. I think I'm going to stick with Hoppe's No.9 bore cleaner, Break Free CLP, and Tetra Grease moving forward. I fired the "Improved Modified" choke on the bottom barrel first followed by the "Full" choke on the top barrel. I managed on several occasions to reach out and hit escaping clays with my second shot, hence the reason for burning seventy shells on two rounds of singles. Overall a very satisfying day. I'm very happy with my CZ Redhead Premier. It seems to fit me much better than what I was using before. Ejecting spent shells behind me and then hand-loading new ones into the chambers is just plain fun. Thanks for all the support and suggestions. Take care! -NWFRS