It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Model 12 28 gauge question
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Stadt says to avoid guns NOT made between 1955 and 1960. Why would that be?

Post subject: Re: Another Model 12 28 gauge question
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

I would guess that fewer 28 gauge model 12s were made prior to this time period and there is a higher chance a pre 1955 gun is a put together gun. That's my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Gunboy, we don't spend tens of thousands of dollars on guns because there is "less chance" of them being fakes. We are supposed to know what is a fake or not a fake. A "chance" of it being a fake or a real gun is not a good reason to write a big check. As you are finding out, real knowledge is way better than relying on supposed "experts".

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

M12Gunboy wrote:
I would guess that fewer 28 gauge model 12s were made prior to this time period and there is a higher chance a pre 1955 gun is a put together gun. That's my opinion.

That's a good point. It makes sense that a built up 28 gauge would be worked off of older 16 and 20 gauge receivers more than were made from newer guns. Lowgun, your style of making cryptic remarks and running away is not very becoming of an "expert" of your lofty status. Try to do better, please?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

lowgun wrote:
Gunboy, we don't spend tens of thousands of dollars on guns because there is "less chance" of them being fakes. We are supposed to know what is a fake or not a fake. A "chance" of it being a fake or a real gun is not a good reason to write a big check. As you are finding out, real knowledge is way better than relying on supposed "experts".

I agree. IMHO it's something that needs to be considered when purchasing a Model 12 28 gauge along with all the other technicalities of a 28. That's all.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:38 am 
Diamond Grade

Have examined original 28s made prior to 1955 (including prewar) so am not sure what Stadt is referring to. Was the comment in reference to a particular grade?

There is nothing mystifying about identifying 28 ga receivers, no need to hedge. Correctly identifying a 28 ga gun does not help us determine condition.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:59 am 
Crown Grade

Winchester 1912, you are mistaken when you accuse me of making cryptic statements and then running away. I don't run away, I try to explain, educate, help, in any way I can to get our friends to avoid mistakes in collecting. Some of our readers and posters confuse a helpful post with a cryptic statement. I am here to help, not to steal good purchases, as I proved when I explained that the two recent guns offered for sale were worth thousands more than their selling prices, but I avoided them so others could enjoy. Sorry you were confused.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

How is a phony pigeon grade worth thousands more than its selling price? Doesn't sound very helpful to state that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

lowgun wrote:
Winchester 1912, you are mistaken when you accuse me of making cryptic statements and then running away. I don't run away, I try to explain, educate, help, in any way I can to get our friends to avoid mistakes in collecting. Some of our readers and posters confuse a helpful post with a cryptic statement. I am here to help, not to steal good purchases, as I proved when I explained that the two recent guns offered for sale were worth thousands more than their selling prices, but I avoided them so others could enjoy. Sorry you were confused.

No confusion here. I just recognize when someone is fishing for information while trying not to display a lack of knowledge. Your tactics always precede you. I've seen it before.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Samuel_Hoggson wrote:
Have examined original 28s made prior to 1955 (including prewar) so am not sure what Stadt is referring to. Was the comment in reference to a particular grade?

There is nothing mystifying about identifying 28 ga receivers, no need to hedge. Correctly identifying a 28 ga gun does not help us determine condition.

And the reason there's nothing mystifying about it is the helpful posts that Sam has written about identifying factory 28's. I for one am grateful.