It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to reloading screw up question
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Im new to reloading shotgun rounds and was over zealous. I grabbed a few boxes of empty gun club hulls to reload for my first go round and I made a stupid mistake and need some advice.
1) Into hulls labeled 3-7/8oz-8 I added in load for 2-3/4-7/8oz-8
2) Into hulls labeled 2-3/4-1oz-8 I added in load for 2-3/4-7/8oz-8
3) into hulls labeled 2-3/4-7/8oz-7 i added in load for 2-3/4-7/8oz-8
4) Into hulls labeled 2-3/4-7/8oz-8 I added in load for 2-3/4-1oz-8

Are any of these loads safe to shoot or should I scrap them out. I dont know what i was thinking or not thinking but at least I finally realized the error. I have since properly separated them into the correct piles and wont be making that mistake again. I’ll just chalk it up to newbie mistake and move on but wanted some input from you all.
Thanks for your time its appreciated.
- Joe

Post subject: Re: New to reloading screw up question
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:11 am 

Once the shell is fired when new, the writing on the outside,other than brand name and length, is superfluous. Therefore, if you used the right brand of hull for that recipe, ignore the writing and don't worry. Go shoot them without reservation.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:48 am 
Presentation Grade

As Curly says, once fired it's just a hull.

That first one looks suspicious to me. Did you load a 3" shell with a 2 3/4" recipe? If so, the crimp must look kind of odd.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:18 am 
Tournament Grade

The # 1 load looks like a 3 dram of 7/8oz of 8's. He loaded a 2 3/4 dram. You will be o.k. What Curly said.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

12 gauge or 20 gauge?
What is your recipe, including all components?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:33 am 
Crown Grade

As noted, the ink on the outside of the hull has only 1 meaning, that is what was in the hull from the factory.

After that's been shot out, what you load inside is up to you, IGNORE THE INK.

Use the correct hull and the correct components from reliable tested published data and you will be very unlikely to ever have A Problem.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: Dutchess County, NY - the northern most county of Alabama
Without knowing the hull brand, powder, primer and wad there's no way to answer your question. However, if you used a published load and used all of the same components as stated in that load then the outside printing is meaningless.

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joe:

First, welcome to SGW.

The only mistake you made was separating the hulls into the different piles before asking your question. You wasted some time, is all. Ignore the printing on the hull, it just indicates what the factory put in the hull. You are at liberty to load them with whatever load you like. The printing does not connote some difference between the hulls depending on the printing.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all of the answers it’s good to know there’s a place where people are willing to lend some help.
My primary reason for noticing any issues was I noticed when I loaded the hulls labeled 2-3/4-1oz with 7/8oz there was some rippling on the lower side of the hulls. I figured this was due to too much shot for the hull. I suppose it’s just a bad hull although it seemed in good shape before loading.

I’m using Lee Load-All 2, Remington gun club hulls, Remington TGT 12S wads and Hogdon Clays powder. According to load chart bushing # 148 for load of 16.6gm powder and 7/8oz shot.
Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Bigmangracia wrote:
Thanks for all of the answers it’s good to know there’s a place where people are willing to lend some help.
My primary reason for noticing any issues was I noticed when I loaded the hulls labeled 2-3/4-1oz with 7/8oz there was some rippling on the lower side of the hulls. I figured this was due to too much shot for the hull. I suppose it’s just a bad hull although it seemed in good shape before loading.

I’m using Lee Load-All 2, Remington gun club hulls, Remington TGT 12S wads and Hogdon Clays powder. According to load chart bushing # 148 for load of 16.6gm powder and 7/8oz shot.
Thanks again

It is very possible that you have a "borderline" stack height problem that hits some hulls and not others due solely to mfr. variations and loading component variations.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bigmangracia wrote:
Thanks again

First, please tell us that you didn't just go by a bushing chart to determine what the powder load is! :!: :!:

About all the charts are good for is to tell you if the bushing you need is somewhat close to a given size. e.g. if the chart says you need a #14 all you really know is that a #24 is going to be too much. You may wind up using anything from a #11 or #12 to a #16 or even bigger. I figure the charts will get me within +/- 2 or 3 sizes.

You absolutely need to use a scale to figure out what bushing you need to get the desired powder load!!

As for the sidewall wrinkling, Remi's have been showing up with hull lengths that can vary by 1/8" or more and I've found that the longer ones will sometimes wrinkle a bit. If it's barely noticeable, I'll go ahead and shoot it. When it starts to get more pronounced, I'll cut it open to salvage the other components. If it's enough to make me uncomfortable, to me it's not worth taking a chance.

And welcome to SGW. {hs#

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Raising your crimp die a half a turn might help alleviate the wrinkling problem. But you might then have to lower the crimp depth part just a hair. Once you've gotten into this some more, consider replacing the Load-All with a single stage MEC loader (lots of used ones for sale on eBay and bulletin boards at shooting ranges). You'll be glad you did. A big step up from the Lee for not much additional money.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:40 pm 
Field Grade

The rippling of some and not others may also be the result of a slight variation in hull length. Its pretty common in AA hulls but im not sure about gun clubs. Sometimes the manufacturers tweak the hull length to accomodate a specific load. If that is the case, sort by hull length and either make a slight adjustment to your components or adjust your crimp die. Most guys do the previous.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:36 pm 
Limited Edition

Quote:
Raising your crimp die a half a turn might help alleviate the wrinkling problem

The OP indicated he is using a Lee Load All. The dies are not adjustable, The crimping is all done by feel. That's one of the big disadvantages of the Lee; among other issues.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: Dutchess County, NY - the northern most county of Alabama
Crimping on a Lee load-All is done by feel, there's no stop or setting. Pull the handle down until you think the crimp is finished. So bad crimps and crappy looking shells are the norm. But DO buy a scale and measure the powder drop with any bushing from a chart, do not exceed the recipe's powder load by weight! Bushings are useful in producing lots of shells once you get a stable powder drop by weight and the chart gives you a starting bushing so you don't spend all day changing bushings.

Changing a bushing on a Load-all is a PITA. It helps if you drill a 1/2 hole in the plastic top cover near one of the short sides of the cover. Then use the top cover with the hole over the powder side of the bins, hold it tight, and tip the LA2 upside down to remove the powder. Then reverse the cover and pour off the shot. Then you can change the bushings as needed.

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:45 pm 
Crown Grade

I didn't realize Gun Clubs came in that many 7/8 oz 12 ga offerings.

He only gave one load of components, but the last shell listed he loaded with 1 oz instead of 7/8 oz. Did he simply change the shot charge, keeping the same wad and powder charge? That one might be a little overstuffed!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

John Henry wrote:
I didn't realize Gun Clubs came in that many 7/8 oz 12 ga offerings.

He only gave one load of components, but the last shell listed he loaded with 1 oz instead of 7/8 oz. Did he simply change the shot charge, keeping the same wad and powder charge? That one might be a little overstuffed!!
I don't see Rem offering any 7/8 oz. 12 ga. loads, currently. And good point on the possible overstuff. The OP does not provide much info on what load data he is using for his various loads.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I can put the OP in touch with a guy that has some MEC Jr.'s for sale. Cheap.

Steve