It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question for any ultralight fishing fans out there
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:08 am 
Presentation Grade

I've been thinking of switching the treble hooks on my UL rapala's and spoon out for singles. From everything I've watched on youtube, the biggest advantage I think I'll get is the more solid hook-up. The hooks are pretty small on those UL trebles, and every fish I've caught was, sure enough, just barely hooked, and this morning a fish threw my wife's hook, which really got me down since she is new to fishing and hasn't made a catch yet (yes, I know, fish do throw the hook regardless of what you have, but why not decrease the chance?). The problem I run into is there are not inline hooks small enough for UL that I can find. Of course I could just bend some regular hook eyes, but then what type should I use? An octopus or walleye hook looks like the best, except octopus are bait hooks and so have the bend in the hook, which would screw up the lure action. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Post subject: Re: Question for any ultralight fishing fans out there
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:28 am 
Diamond Grade

I have fished the heck out of rapalas from small to extra large. They have always been outstanding in hooking fish. They are so good that when fishing in this one place, where you can catch one fish after another, I bend the barbs down to make the fish easier to release. I have never been tempted to replace the treble with a single, but maybe I don’t know how much better that would be. I might not be up to date on the subject.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've replaced trebels with singles on some of my lures-- particularly the ones I use in really weedy areas. I haven't noticed a difference in improving the catch, but they do get snagged up a lot less.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:42 am 
Crown Grade

Ultralight? You mean like 2-4lb line, right?

I think I completely understand the problem. I used to fish inshore saltwater with 8lb line. Had to switch to 10lb, I just could not get enough penetration on the hookup with some of the harder mouthed fish. Another 1/2 pound of drag made all the difference.

So, when i get into light line I don't just match the size of the hook to the size of the fish and bait, gotta match it up to line weight too.

It'll probably need the sharpest hooks you can get. Much like woodworking tools fish hooks don't always come home from the store already sharpened. There is a triangular filing method that is pretty easy and works swell. Just need a small file and a vise or pair of pliers to hold the hook.

'knowledge is a deadly friend if no one sets the rules' - king crimson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:01 am 
Diamond Grade

As far has hookups are concerned, I fully agree that hook sharpness is the critical thing. I’ve always found the hooks on rapalas to be sharp when new, but hooks don’t stay sharp. I carry a hook hone and use it if the hook gets dull. Line stretch can be a factor and that can vary with the brand and line weight.

You can surely catch fish on a single hook, but it needs to be sharp. I would tell you what I have caught on hooks as small as 18 and even 24, but you would think I am bragging and a poser. Nobody likes a braggart. I know. I’ve tried it.

“It is absurd for the Evolutionist to complain that it is unthinkable for an admittedly unthinkable God to make everything out of nothing, and then pretend that it is more thinkable that nothing should turn itself into everything.”
― G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:51 am 
Crown Grade

I'd believe you Chucka.The trick to small hooks is to use a small drag.

Speaking of bragging- I caught a ten pounder this morning on a night crawler. Walleye fishing, #4 hook with 10lb line, drag lightly set.

Biggest carp I ever caught on crawler harness! :P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:40 am 
Diamond Grade

Good job OT. One time I was dragging a big rapala on leaded line with a 10’ leader in 40 feet of water and hooked a 30 lb carp. For a while I thought I had a record Brown. It was one of those smooth skin varieties.

Those small hooks I mentioned were flies.

“It is absurd for the Evolutionist to complain that it is unthinkable for an admittedly unthinkable God to make everything out of nothing, and then pretend that it is more thinkable that nothing should turn itself into everything.”
― G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks. I'd suppose there might be some carp nearing 25lbs in the lake I fish. They are rolling crazy right now. I haven't targeted them since I was a kid. It must have been fun and exiting hooking and landing a 30lb fish in fresh water, Chucka. Not too many fishermen get that opportunity.

The carp I hooked this morning stayed deep like a walleye the whole fight. Hooked it in about 15' of water. Kinda disappointed to see what it was but I still enjoyed the action.

Just practicing for one of them 28" walleye I seen in the river last spring. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:04 am 
Presentation Grade

I am a saltwater guy but every lure I own now runs ringed single hooks, I dumped the treble years ago. I think it is has helped, I promise I am not worse off. Just make sure you put them on the right way, there is a wrong way.