All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stoeger 28g side by side
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:00 pm 
Field Grade

Has anyone tried the 28g side by side>

Post subject: Re: Stoeger 28g side by side
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:18 pm 
Field Grade

I would avoid any break action stoeger like the plague.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:23 pm 
Crown Grade

No Stoeger is worth any of my money.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Save your pennies while looking for a good,used Browning

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

He will be waiting a long time for a Browning 28ga side by side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:14 am 
Tournament Grade

About 12 years ago, I picked up a Stoeger Uplander SxS in 20 gauge new from Dick's Sporting Goods. I took it to my local gunsmith and had a nice Pachmayr pad put on it. I purchased a full set of chokes from Colonial choke & tool, and proceeded to use that little gun for everything from skeet to pheasant hunting. No I did not put 10,000 rounds through it. I have never put that many rounds through any gun I have ever owned. But, I shot that gun for many seasons, and it never failed me once. I passed it on to my son who still uses it on occasion. For the money I paid for it ($449.00) it has been a relative bargain. I have also owned a Stoeger O/U and had similar results. For someone who has a limited budget and wants to hunt with an O/U or SxS, and do a limited amount of clay target shooting, I would not hesitate to try a Stoeger. This is especially true if they want to hunt now and not wait the many months or years to save for a more expensive option.

Regards,
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:57 pm 
Crown Grade

I won a 28 ga. SxS "Uplander", with a gray receiver, at a DU event quite a while ago, now. It worked fine, i shot it pretty well, but was far from a pretty gun, and it was heavy, for a 28, being built on a 20 gauge frame. It did teach me to appreciate the gauge, though, so I upgraded a bit (to a scaled frame SxS) after I sent it down the road. I just couldn't rationalize packing a 28 that weighed more than my 20 gauge guns :wink: .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:42 am 
Utility Grade

I have not shot the 28ga, but use a 12ga Uplander for a lot of hunting, and have used it for a couple years now. The good news is that it has always shot well, and has been very reliable. The only two problems I have had were extraction and I wanted a recoil pad because I use this as my goose gun and hog gun. The recoil pad was done by a gunsmith, and the sticky extraction was due to a rough chamber, which I polished out myself. It extracted fine with standard dove and target loads, but would get a bit sticky with slugs and 3" goose loads. Now it is perfectly functional, and I don't worry about babying it like I do my out of production guns.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A Stoeger Uplander with 2 triggers and extractors is not a bad gun for the money. It is not a Purdey, but they do work. Avoid single triggers and ejectors.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

Probably 15 years ago my father in law gave my son and me a pair of Uplander SxSs, a .410 for my then 12 year old son and a 28ga for me. Together we put a couple thousand rounds through the two Uplanders. Yes, they aren’t the most elegant or refined, but they are great for casual use and helping a father and almost teen age son bond.