It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rusty Chamber? Has anyone tried Barkeepers Friend?
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

Picked up an O/U that had some rust frosting in the chamber, but the blueing is in fantastic shape.

Having used Barkeepers Friend (BKF) for years on rusty parts, I was going to load up a chamber brush with a slurry of the stuff and spin it in the chamber with a hand drill, then running boiling water down the muzzle with a funnel to wash it out.

The problem? BKF can remove bluing. So was thinking of ways to mask the bluing so the slurry wouldn't contact the outside of the barrel. Thinking a thick layer of grease might work, or an adhesive like rubber cement.

Kicking around ideas to remove every speck of rust that's in there, without removing any of the gorgeous blue, and this idea was the first one that popped into my head that might do the job permanently.

Anyone ever tried this? Are there better alternatives?

Post subject: Re: Rusty Chamber? Has anyone tried Barkeepers Friend?
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Putting an abrasive on the chamber is a pretty sure way to get MORE rust, as you'll roughen the surface and create more surface area for the rust to form on.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

slowshooter wrote:
Picked up an O/U that had some rust frosting in the chamber, but the blueing is in fantastic shape.

Having used Barkeepers Friend (BKF) for years on rusty parts, I was going to load up a chamber brush with a slurry of the stuff and spin it in the chamber with a hand drill, then running boiling water down the muzzle with a funnel to wash it out.

The problem? BKF can remove bluing. So was thinking of ways to mask the bluing so the slurry wouldn't contact the outside of the barrel. Thinking a thick layer of grease might work, or an adhesive like rubber cement.

Kicking around ideas to remove every speck of rust that's in there, without removing any of the gorgeous blue, and this idea was the first one that popped into my head that might do the job permanently.

Anyone ever tried this? Are there better alternatives?

You could go to all that trouble and the chambers would look great if everything went right. The only problem is that the rust would likely return very easily. If you shoot the gun in humid conditions and then set the gun aside for 30 minutes or so while it cools down, you can almost watch the rust form in the chambers. The good news is that the rust doesn't appear to hurt anything.

My advice is to just use a chamber or bore brush with some fine steel wool wrapped around the brush to polish the chambers. Then oil the chambers promptly before putting the gun away. You still may get a light coating of rust in the chambers before you take the gun out again, but as I said above, it doesn't appear to hurt anything.

While the situation is annoying to those who try to keep their guns spotless, I'm not sure that anything is really harmed by this light coating of rust in the chambers. It just kind of goes with the territory on some guns that were made 20+ years ago. Most guns today have chrome lined chambers to prevent this situation.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:31 am 
Tournament Grade

Although I agree that a little rust not deeply embedded will not do any damage; cosmetically it sure doesn't look right. I have had very good success using Brownells Chamber Flex Hones in the appropriate gauge size. Those flex hones impart a far smoother finish to the metal and do not create additional areas for rust to form. In fact they reduce them. You also would not be in any danger of messing up any blued areas. I had a Perazzi many years ago that wanted to rust in the chamber area but after using the Flex Hone on it, and not letting it go too terribly long between cleanings, stopped being a problem due to rust. The hones and oil that you must use are kind of pricey but you can use them on subsequent guns for many, many years. I also routinely do the flex hone polishing on any semi auto that does not have chrome plated chambers because I have never known a semi auto that did not benefit from really slick chamber walls. The flex hone also work great for getting lead/plastic build up out of the chokes. I also used the chamber flex hone to polish the interior sizing dies on a Ponsness Warren 800 reloader. The difference in effort afterwards was dramatically lessened and I no longer got the plastic build up as before. The entire job on a barrel set from set up to completion takes about 10 minutes. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I notice the rust in my Brownings. Not in my Beretta.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bill M. wrote:
I notice the rust in my Brownings. Not in my Beretta.

Browning began chrome lining the chambers of their Citori shotguns about 1990 (estimated). Prior to that time, some of the Citori chambers would get surface rust... as did several other makes/brands of shotguns.

Beretta, OTOH, has been chrome lining the chambers and bores of their guns for quite a bit longer.

Browning still doesn't chrome line the bores of their shotguns and it's not a problem. There are pros and cons to chrome lining a chamber or bore. I'm perfectly happy with my Citoris which have chrome lined chambers but no chrome in the bores, but I'm also happy with my Beretta autos which have chrome in the chamber and bore.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:18 pm 
Limited Edition

FWIW Flex-Hones work perfectly well with anything like a 10W light oil or even 3in1 to polish the chambers. The Flex-Hone brand oil that is supposedly "required" is a huge rip-off and is not necessary.

WOB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:06 pm 
Limited Edition

I agree with WOB. The first flex hone s I bought . I used their oil , since then I have used everything but change oil. The way I see it the oil is just a carrier for the swarf.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm no gunsmith, but I wonder if cold bluing the chamber would inhibit the formation of red rust.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Works well with 0000 steel wool wrapped around a next size smaller bore brush. I've done several Remington Express 870's that way along older Ithacas. Gunsmiths polish and ream chambers all the time. Barrels too and open up chokes to boot.