It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B Rizzini Artemis vs FAIR Jubilee Prestige 16 ga O/U
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am a Beretta O/U guy. I've shot them for decades in 12 , 20 and 28 and love the way they fit, balance and shoot--zero problems with the four of them. If they made a 16 ga, I'd buy it in an instant--but they don't. I want a 16 built on a TRUE 16 ga frame with appropriate weight. I do not want a 12 with 16 barrels slapped on it.

I have checked out a Browning 16ga 525 and I have zero interest in that gun.

I'm looking at the B Rizzini Artemis and came across the FAIR Jubilee in 16 ga. My problem is there are zero gun stores near me where I can actually handle these guns. I did handle a Artemis 28 ga at Cabelas and liked the way the gun fit. So, I'm putting out a call for opinions (or for other 16ga options) on these two guns/manufacturers.

Reliability?

Fit/finish?

Weight?

Customer Service?

Fit like a Beretta 686/7?

Thanks!

PS I'm in the Twin Cities area, so if anyone does know of dealers please let me know.

Post subject: Re: B Rizzini Artemis vs FAIR Jubilee Prestige 16 ga O/U
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a B Rizzini BR 110 and a LX 702 Verona which is the equivalent of the FAIR Jublie. The Artemis I would consider a step up above both these guns. More cosmetic than mechanical so it’s up to you how much you want to spend. BR110 got good reviews from Bruce Buck. Also go look at B Rizzini USA website. They will sell guns direct which is where I got my BR110 from and have a scratch and dent section if you don’t mind that first nick. I think the gold inlay on the Jublie is not that detailed so I’d likely go for the Artemis if you want bling or the BR110 if you want a basic O/U that is mechanically nice with a flat black receiver.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=458517

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=453027

PS that 28 gage gun at Cabelas I had sent in from another store then I decided to go with 30 inch barrels and bought direct from B Rizzini USA.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:57 am 
Presentation Grade

Forgot that my selector switch went out when a biasing spring broke on my FAIR lx 702. First O/U issue I’ve had, but there is a great gunsmith who fixes these fast and reasonable. I wouldn’t read much into this as many berettas and Brownings crap out from time to time too but I did want to note it.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=469846

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:59 am 
Presentation Grade

Also FAIR can do some nice work on the inlays, I’m just not as thrilled with the Jublie.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=464914&hilit=+Verona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:36 am 
Tournament Grade

Patently Obvious wrote:
I have a B Rizzini BR 110 and a LX 702 Verona which is the equivalent of the FAIR Jublie. The Artemis I would consider a step up above both these guns. More cosmetic than mechanical so it’s up to you how much you want to spend. BR110 got good reviews from Bruce Buck. Also go look at B Rizzini USA website. They will sell guns direct which is where I got my BR110 from and have a scratch and dent section if you don’t mind that first nick. I think the gold inlay on the Jublie is not that detailed so I’d likely go for the Artemis if you want bling or the BR110 if you want a basic O/U that is mechanically nice with a flat black receiver.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=458517

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=453027

PS that 28 gage gun at Cabelas I had sent in from another store then I decided to go with 30 inch barrels and bought direct from B Rizzini USA.

Ha! Small world! Thanks for the advice. I've always liked a fancier receiver (the reason why I traded my Beretta Onyx for a silver pigeon) and the fact that the BR110 does not use a scaled receiver for their 16ga puts the BR110 out of the running (they use the 12ga receiver for their 16ga)

I did talk to John Mogel at Rizzini USA. I think it would be slightly cheaper given that there's no sales tax. The only thing that appeals to me about potentially ordering thru Cabelas is that they told me if I didn't like the gun they would only charge me a $25 restocking fee--so essentially it'd be $25 to just handle the gun. Is that what you found when you had them order that 28?

Thanks again--I really appreciate any advice on this!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:11 am 
Presentation Grade

Correct. Cabelas will ship guns in from other stores for $25 no obligation to buy. Covers their fees and eliminates tire kickers with no intention of buying. Not too many 16 gages out there so if handling is important spend the $25 and go from there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

I own a Br110 and it had issues with barrel regulation, Rizzini USA were silent on helping with this issue. The gun was purchased from a Rizzini dealer and they tried to get help and Rizzini was still useless. I managed to get it fixed by a gunsmith and the gun shoots great now, no thanks to John at Rizzini USA. My dealer sells both Rizzini and FAIR, I am kind of over the smaller Italian builders at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

F.A.I.R. is one of the Rizzini companies. Call John Boyd of Quality Arms in Houston.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

edgerat wrote:
I own a Br110 and it had issues with barrel regulation, Rizzini USA were silent on helping with this issue. The gun was purchased from a Rizzini dealer and they tried to get help and Rizzini was still useless. I managed to get it fixed by a gunsmith and the gun shoots great now, no thanks to John at Rizzini USA. My dealer sells both Rizzini and FAIR, I am kind of over the smaller Italian builders at this point.

Dang. I hate hearing stories like this--especially given the price of these. They should not only flat out work, they should be incredibly responsive the (should be very rare) times they don't...

Wish there were more choice in 16 O/U's...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

Have you considered a Browning Citori 16 ga.? Not the 525 but the regular Citori. I have one, great handling gun. Weight is 6lbs. 12 oz. Not too heavy, not too light/whippy. Don't know if any new ones are available as Browning only makes a run of them once in a while. Used ones come up for sale on 16ga. .com website fairly often. Also check Gunbroker.com and GunsInternational.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:42 am 
Tournament Grade

870-LEFTY wrote:
Have you considered a Browning Citori 16 ga.? Not the 525 but the regular Citori. I have one, great handling gun. Weight is 6lbs. 12 oz. Not too heavy, not too light/whippy. Don't know if any new ones are available as Browning only makes a run of them once in a while. Used ones come up for sale on 16ga. .com website fairly often. Also check Gunbroker.com and GunsInternational.

Though I love my other Brownings, the Browning O/U's I've handled just aren't for me. None of quite fit correctly for me and I've never liked their blocky design.

I did try to give them another look in the last few weeks because there just aren't that many 16ga O/U options. I handled their 525 Field in 16 ga at a Runnings in my town (they did a limited production specifically for Runnings and the S/N's have "RUN" in them) and just yesterday, I handled a 16ga Citori Gran Lightning at Cabelas. Both felt like my 12 ga and don't fit me. They're great, reliable guns, but just not for me...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:33 am 
Crown Grade

MNGunner wrote:
870-LEFTY wrote:

Though I love my other Brownings, the Browning O/U's I've handled just aren't for me. None of quite fit correctly for me and I've never liked their blocky design.

I did try to give them another look in the last few weeks because there just aren't that many 16ga O/U options. I handled their 525 Field in 16 ga at a Runnings in my town (they did a limited production specifically for Runnings and the S/N's have "RUN" in them) and just yesterday, I handled a 16ga Citori Gran Lightning at Cabelas. Both felt like my 12 ga and don't fit me. They're great, reliable guns, but just not for me...

Stocks can be bent!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:55 am 
Tournament Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
MNGunner wrote:
870-LEFTY wrote:

Stocks can be bent!

True, but they still have that blocky design (725 seems a little better), they don't seem to be built on true 16 ga frames (someone correct me if this isn't true) and are some of the heavier O/U's.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

I believe they are actually built on the 20ga. Citori frame. The weight is practically the same between the two.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:11 am 
Tournament Grade

Any opinions on FAIR vs Rzzini in general (or specifically to the two guns mentioned in the topic)??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From what I have seen, it appears that the FAIR is probably Chevy of the Rizzini family of guns. I am happy though with my FAIR. When I first saw it advertised on the web though I thought I was looking a used gun in FAIR condition as the add said FAIR Rizzini Iside..........

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:44 am 
Crown Grade

I HAD one in 16 ga. Gun was pretty light and made it harder to hit crossers (for me)
I prefer the Browning Citori in 16 ga. Wished I still had that gun. :x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:52 am 
Tournament Grade

rkittine wrote:
From what I have seen, it appears that the FAIR is probably Chevy of the Rizzini family of guns. I am happy though with my FAIR. When I first saw it advertised on the web though I thought I was looking a used gun in FAIR condition as the add said FAIR Rizzini Iside..........

Bob

Haha! That's like when they tried to sell the Chevy Nova south of the border ("No va" in Spanish means "It won't go").

Yeah, that's my impression that FAIR are solid but like you said the Chevy of the line (same goes for Fausti).

Last edited by MNGunner on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:54 am 
Tournament Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
I HAD one in 16 ga. Gun was pretty light and made it harder to hit crossers (for me)
I prefer the Browning Citori in 16 ga. Wished I still had that gun. :x

I've done the same thing--sold/traded something only to later regret it. ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:35 pm 
Limited Edition

What do you want to do with the gun? Upland birds, targets or both? Which Cabela’s had the Gran Lightning?
Given the 2 guns you are looking at I would get a B Rizzini. I think they are, overall, better built guns than a FAIR. Plus, you can get it with a solid rib which is very cool.
There isn’t a manufacturer who hasn’t delivered a gun that had issues. I know of an English o/u 20 gauge that was delivered with the barrels shooting about a foot apart at 25 yards. This was a $100,000 gun. They built a new set of barrels.
If you want a game gun have you looked at a Merkel? You do have to appreciate the Teutonic styling, but $3,000 will buy a heck of a used gun. I assume you are in Minnesota. The only o/u 16 I have is a 32” Browning Sporter, but your’re welcome to try it to see if the dimensions work for you.
Jeff