It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shotgun for Wife, New Toy for Me
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:29 pm 
Field Grade

My wife is joining me on my annual Dove hunt this year, and I don't have any real good options for a shotgun for her. I am trying to decide between the A400 28ga and the 20ga with kick-off. She is very recoil sensitive.

I am leaning towards the 28ga because I think they are neat guns, and would like to have a 28ga field gun for myself going forward. But I am a little worried about a new shooter having fun trying to bring down a Dove with a 28ga.

I am not super concerned with fit out of the box as she is 6'1" so a standard gun shouldn't be an issue. I'm 6'4" and can live with shorter/standard LOPs. She is a lefty so a gun that comes with shims is a major plus.

Looking for opinions/experience....

Post subject: Re: Shotgun for Wife, New Toy for Me
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:02 pm 
Crown Grade

most folks can kill a dove with a 410 and the 28 has 50% more payload. As long as the gun fits her, it will do just fine. Ammo can be expensive, but there are remedies for that.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:53 am 
Tournament Grade

I’m guessing here but if she is 6’1” she likely has a fairly long neck. Couple that with higher cheekbones and she may need something with a Monte Carlo stock or adjustable comb. The stock length may be fine. Sometimes a comb pad can be enough, sometimes not. If the comb isn’t high enough she will either have to mount very high on the shoulder to get the gun to her cheek. Or, mount in the shoulder pocket as she should and really have to bend her neck to get her cheek down on the stock. Either can make recoil worse and accuracy suffer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:56 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the advice. I am tentatively planning on picking up the gun with her at Briley. May see if they can help with getting the fit close.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Some women aren’t hard to fit, others can present quite a challenge. We can’t tell anyone much other than general information unless we can see someone mount the gun. In general women have longer necks, higher cheekbones, narrower shoulders, and eyes that aren’t set quite as wide as men’s. Most need a little more pitch and a different toe so the gun doesn’t bite into the pectoral muscle under recoil. You’re doing the right thing to have someone take a look that knows how to fit women and deal with the unique challenges some women present.